I had fun last night and I think I know why

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Kid, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Ronin Oni

Go play another game.

Planetside is not for you.

What are vehicles for? Controlling the area outside of bases. Force multipliers. Destroying/protecting AMS Spawns. Gal droping or stopping enemy gal drops.

This is combined arms. Don't like it?

LEAVE.
    • Up x 2
  2. Valadain

Air seems to be fine after the prior patch. Honestly, the biggest trouble are the one-man tanks. They need to be brought more in line with the MAX (at the same time, I'd suggest at least one more tank option with multiple seats/guns). Right now, the only effective counter to the one-man tanks is other tanks (or planes) or several heavies. The trouble with this is, that unlike with infantry, pulling a tank with no certs isn't really all that effective against a tank with certs. There's no head-shot to even the playing field.

Just to be clear, I don't have trouble with multi-seat tanks. I'd prefer the main gun to be on a different seat than the driver to force it to need a group for effectiveness, but beyond that, no problem with them being tough as heck. The one-man tanks, however, offer too much bang for a single player, forcing others to pull tanks (and honestly cert into them) to survive.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pirbi

This sentence seems to contradict itself. I've been playing FPS on and off since the original Wolfenstein 3D.
    • Up x 1
  4. ronjahn

I get a kick out of all of the infantryside players who think a tank is only for farming infantry. I smell so much KDR jealousy in this thread, it's funny. Saying that a tank has a better chance of a high KDR is pretty much the silliest argument for nerfing tanks.

I had my tank alive for 2 hours this weekend, earned 290k XP, and ended up with 6 total infantry kills.

OMG a 6 KDR!! So much farm!

Infantry side players don't really understand what a real tanker does. A real tanker doesn't camp a spawn room. A real tanker sneaks up behind the campers and blows them up 5 at a time. A large portion of those tank kills don't even result in infantry kills because most people bail before they explode.

Base design is definitely an issue in some places and that should be addressed, but all of the calls for nerfing tanks against infantry in this thread are just disgusting.
  5. ronjahn

Yes there is a headshot on tanks. It's called shooting them in the rear.

You are entirely correct when you say that you would need to put some certs into your tank to compete with someone who also has put certs into their tank. This is working as intended. Wouldn't it be unfair for someone who has invested nothing to have equal equipment to someone like me who has put about 50k certs into my vanguard?

However, to blow up spawn campers all you really need is the ability to flank and pick the right targets. No certs needed to take out the scrubs who pull their tanks just to farm spawn doors and sit with their rear facing you at all times.

I think people should experience the whole game, not just one part of it.
    • Up x 1
  6. Captain Kid

I was a good tank driver in Planetside 1 and could survive for a very long time.
    I 100% agree tanks were much harder to kill in PS1 then in PS2.
    I don't like driving a tank in this game.

However as infantry I rarely died to tanks or vehicles in Planetside 1
    In this game I die a lot to vehicles.

Perhaps it's because they can shell bases in this game. Or there is a lack of cover and tanks have much further range (less hills and stuff to block view)
    Not sure.
  7. Captain Kid

I am also of the strong conviction tanks (vehicles) should do low damage to infantry and infantry should do low damage to tanks (vehicles). not only in this game but for all combined arms fps in general.
    Tanks should just provide extra armour for infantry and a faster way to get around.

In my opinion FIVE infantry with AV rockets should not be able to kill a tank unless the tank is stupid and refuses to flee or take cover. Or he is ambushed.
    I also think it should take a tank at least two shells to kill infantry. Preferably more but not really fun for the tank with all the hills and such in this game. Tanks should also not have more range then infantry versus tanks.

Anyway the issue at hand in this thread for me is the lack of cover against tanks and the one hit kill shots from tanks. Especially in bases.
  8. Valadain

I wouldn't call a 30% or so reduction in armor absorption a "head shot". Again though, to re-iterate, I'm not calling for nerfs on tanks in general. I only really have an issue with one-man tanks as they don't require enough investment to spawn. Heck, you can even hop in as an engineer and keep it going for quite a long time. Something you can't do in a MAX at all.

Even on the one-man tanks, I'd rather see a new mechanic used over a nerf. Something infantry can use against just the one-man tanks to even the field a bit.
  9. Pacster

First of all the KDR itself says that it's broken. Period. There is just no way you get similar KDRs as infantry...not even as a MAX(unless the enemy is incredibly stupid and you camp behind a shield that makes you invulnerable...or you just use a cheat right away). And definitly not vs. tanks.

Whatever you mean what a "real" tanker does...fact is that they farm infantry...whether that is "real" to you or not, that's what most tankers do. Why do they do it? Cause they can. Cause it's no skill, no risk, high reward(and even if it would not be high reward they would do it cause it still stays no skill and no risk...basicly like an early duck hunting game on easy mode).

I dislike that kind of arguement. The vanguard you use has not 50k invested...actually it likely has less than 10k invested(whatever other equippment you bought and how many certs you sank into it, does not count into your current setup). With the same kind of arguement you can say that any heavy in this game can have invested 50k...and so he should be able to kill 99% of all tanks with just one rocket(cause he has invested more).

I can't stand those "I invested more....and it costs resources so it should be much better"-stuff. It's just not fun to be on the receiving end of such a philosophy...and new players start exactly there. I'm heading for BR 98 right now, so it would be easy for me to say "those with more certs/resources should have the best toys", still I think it's just the wrong design decision. I know that SOE hopes that we gonna spend more SC if they make certain things stronger(expensive to cert tanks and aircrafts for example...but Jackhammer or Decimator are quite big upgrades as well and not sidegrades...or the basicly mandatory nano-weaves), but it only results in new players and casuals quitting and with it the game is losing it's core and that's the large battles(and all the vehicles in smaller battles end up as combined farming instead of combined arms...cause they are just not balanced around small battles).
    • Up x 2
  10. Renuse

Gents.Two words.

Combined. Arms.

If you cant use everything to counter you should find another game. This is not COD, this is not a TDM game, this is a large scale combined arms game.

Go ruin a different game if you cant handle it.
    • Up x 2
  11. Arazons

Armor dies to infantry reaaaaal easy. You just cant camp and farm it. It involves moving ones self closer to the target.
  12. LibertyRevolution

290,000XP / 2 = 145,000XP per hour / 60min = 2,416 SPM = 9.6 certs per min.
    You are totally farming XP.

That score is so stupidly high compared to infantry play, it is like you are not even playing the same game!

Vehicles ruin the fun fights this game has.
    I am sick of having a good fight at a base, then 2 gals, 2 libs, and 2 ESF show up, blow the AMS and start farming anything outside...
    So 6 people show up and wreck the fight for the 48+ people had at that base.
    If they showed up as infantry, it wouldn't made any difference in the fight, but coming in vehicles and the fight is over.

I play BF3, that is what I was playing before this, and that game is combined arms also.
    In BF3 vehicles do not wreck battles anywhere near like what happens on planetside2.

If SOE made this same game, but the only vehicles in it were sunderers, I would dump my 2400hrs of playtime and play that instead.
    • Up x 1
  13. Rift23

Rushing things hurts my KDR.
  14. Arazons

So the basics of what you anti-combined-arms folks are saying is: all infantry, all tanks and all air should have the same hp, same damage, same abilities. This game is not supposed to be balanced to the point that class roles have no meaning or role. Yes a tank should take several rockets to kill. Yes an infantry should die to a single direct exploding shot from armor or air.

Take away the class roles, vehicle definitions and air firepower and do you know what are we left with? A game with a perfect balance in terms of players their hp and their firepower but where only your ping and fps will determine who lives and who dies. You'll b!+c4 about that then if that day were to come. If want you want is an epeen twitcher arena seriously go play an infantry only game.

If 6 vehicles (remember those vehicles have passengers and gunners so it reality it was more like 20 people) seriously farmed platoon sized forces then those were the most zergling, noobtastic, horrific players that your faction would have to offer on any server. platoon sized forces should be able to coordinate the simplest counter attack to 6 of the heaviest most skilled vehicles whether it is air or ground.

I sir am sorry that those you play around with are unable to grasp the concept of communication. It does not warrant however ruining a game that is overall balanced well. You must know when to react, when to act and when to run. If you are incapable of doing all three then this war is not for you.

Much noob
    Such farm
  15. Slaughter919

I feel like Tanks and Vehicle Related weapons should have beefier damage but shoot much slower. This would stop a lot of the suicidal heavies from using purely rocket launchers against infantry if they loaded slower and made you more cumbersome, in exchange they would do significantly more damage to vehicles and more damage to the weak spots of a vehicle such as the back of a tank. Also by beefing up damage to tank/av weapons, it would allow for better Tank vs Tank battles with your main gun feeling like a real tank gun, punishing you more for your misses and rewarding you for your hits. This would also make Tanks more tolerable for infantry to deal with out in the open between cover since they would have a more predictable rate of fire as opposed to pow, pow, pow, pow, death, death, death. You would be able to time a tanks shots somewhat and take cover accordingly.
  16. Captain Kid

9.6 certs per minute can't be right..
    I make 60!! an hour if I'm doing reasonable.

Needless to say it takes me forever to unlock just one weapon.
  17. Rager

Why not just nerf the xp you get from tank kills? I mean people live in them it seems to farm, and kdr stat up. If it gave less xp, and such it would balance it out. Nothing like trying to attack BIolab and everyone stays in the tanks like it is needed at that point.
  18. KnightCole

Hope is returning to this game, 2 play sessions now, I have managed pretty good streaks.....not because im uber or the enemy is noob...no, but simply because HIT DETECT seems to be getting BETTER.....Im noticing its taking me 14-16 rounds to drop players now. Im not dying Instantly anymore after having put 40 rounds into a single guy. SoE did something, but hit detect has defs turned a new leaf......now if only it improves and keeps improving.
  19. Tuco

Yeah it's real easy for (slowest unit in the game) infantry to be backed into a corner, especially when that corner is a fixed spawn point marked on the enemies map, the nearest alternative fixed spawn point is 800 meters away, and you're outnumbered.

Too bad we don't have the PS1 AMS.
  20. Tuco

In WWIIONLINE, a rifleman has zero anti-tank capabilities and instantly dies to tanks machine guns from 1,000 meters away with their high zoom optics. If I'm not locked down at the spawn I can survive better as a rifleman in WWIIONLINE than any infantry class in Planetside 2.

1) No dorito spotting, my name tag won't even show up to the enemy
    2) I blend in with the terrain
    3) Plenty of bushes to hide in
    4) I can hear tanks rumbling up to me from 1.5 kilometers away, plenty of time to react and plan my next move
    5) Sometimes it takes a full 90 seconds for a tank turret to do a 360 and they're not exactly nimble on the hull either.
    6) My mobile spawn vehicle blends in with the bushes, hard to spot, so the enemy tank don't know where I'm coming from.

There's more to balance than just hitpoints and DPS.