I feel so sorry for my enemy that I have mercy...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldMaster80, Jan 10, 2016.

1. OldMaster80

Today I got my Lightning charged by a bunch of new players. They were all low BR and it was pretty evident they were all new to the game: loadouts and behaviour tell a lot.
    I wonder what did they learn from the tutorial (did they actually do the tutorial?!), and why did they skip Koltyr because there were making such huge mistakes that after 2-3 times I felt sorry for killing them again. I was so afraid that they could be frustrated and uninistall, that I eventually passed by and just ignored them. Seriously I could kill them 12 times easily but I thought would have been a bad thing for the game.

I know there is very little devs can do from this point of view, but I feel we desperately need more tricks to make noobs feel useful and learn the game. When I see BR2 players firing a tank with a carbine, or standing still in the middle of nowhere without cover to use a rocket launcher, or when I see infantry charging 3-4 MBTs...
    If players do not join organized squads, don't complete the tutorial and quit Koltyr of we can't blame the devs but still here is where we lose big part of players. I believe they simply quit before they understood how to survive and how to play.
    We could have a clear warning on vehicles profiles stating what deals good damage against them and what are they immune to. We need players to be able to create squads flagged as "Helpers" who can train noobs, and automatic squad joining should pick these teams as prioritized.

Then I know it's not a popular opinion but I agree with Wrel: the best way to make players feel less frustrated is to get rid of KDR in the game and replace it with score per minute. Possibly divided in different categories: scouting, repair, heal, revive, vehicle kill, max kill etc... We need players to focus on the game itself and trying to get better, instead of having as main stat a KDR. Most of new players do not understand the game well, they see their KDR is less than 0, they get steamrolled and just uninstall because they think the game sucks.
    • Up x 6
  2. HAXTIME

The first few times you die to a vehicle, the hint should always be something like

Also, I think hints that appear on the death screen should be generally dependent on a player's progress of the game. Hints should also be reactive to how the player dies, although I'm not sure if it's not yet implemented.

Anyways, a low level player should receive absolutely beginner tips like the one above. Players around level 10-20 should start receiving messages hinting towards more advanced gameplay mechanics, like how to be a Fairy, and other potentially successful tactics.
  3. Taemien

I never have mercy on my opponent. The reason for this isn't because of myself having a mean streak. But because I expect no mercy or quarter in return. Going easy on my opponent is in my mind the biggest insult you could do to them. Its patronizing and its something I would never want in return.

When a player is ruthless, merciless, and never lets up, and is beating me. Its only then that I actually learn something new. Being beaten in a contest is a path to enlightenment in a way. Being patronized by the opponent giving away advantages means I'm denied learning something new.

And I feel this way towards new players. If I don't bring everything I've got. They will never learn. They will be newbies forever and never become vets. Sure some of them will Refuse to learn and grow frustrated and leave. But that is their decision to make. Not mine to make for them by coddling them and giving them a false sense of achievement. What good does it do for them for me to coddle them, and they get a false sense of accomplishment and then encounter someone who doesn't?

This game is PVP. That's Player Versus Player. This is not a charity. This is a test of wit, will, determination, coordination, and skill. We are here to compete against one another. To have the most fun is to bring everything we've got to the table to see who comes out on top.

In reality it is great to win. For me its better to lose and learn something new. My only wish is for everyone to understand the merits of that. This is also why I don't ragequit due to another's actions (as I stated in the other thread).

This isn't about being Hardcore. I don't play every day. I just play PVP games with the intent to try to contest my opponent in the best manner that I can.
    • Up x 1
  4. JobiWan

Really, common sense should tell them that small arms aren't any good against a tank. It's the same in real life and practically all other shooter games.

Some people are just dumb and no amount of tutorials will change this.
    • Up x 5
  5. DooDooBreff

mercy never crosses my mind. not because im merciless, but because im constantly making split second decisions. i have to assume square peg round hole players arent easily frustrated because its normal for them, or maybe too young to grasp, or care about the finer points of smart play

that said, if theyre quitters, theyre gonna get mad and quit anyways. so you might as well mine them for certs before they go back to maple story
  6. Azawarau

I showed mercy to an infiltrator once

He was wandering around our base and i gave him a max punch. He stood and stared at me knowing he was going to die so i just walked away

A few minutes later he pulled a lightning from a hacked terminal and i had to kill him

No mercy for those who abuse my kindness
  7. Corezer

8. Reclaimer77

That's like saying take the score out of games like football and baseball for little kids games. But you know what happens when you do that? The kids keep score in their heads so they know who really won the game.

Planetside is a FPS game. Do you know what that means? Even if you remove KPD from the game, it doesn't matter. People are still going to make killing the important.

Citation requested. I mean, how do you really know that? Anyone who's played a FPS made in the last 10 years would find Planetside2 at least somewhat familiar. You act like this is Eve Online or something.

Now having said that, the OP is a big ****ter for farming infantry in a tank. I don't know why so many people get off on that in this game, but it's cheesy. You know a couple of guys with so-called "AV" launchers have no chance against you. Instead of asking for SOE to change the game, why don't YOU change the cheesy vehicle ****ter mentality? Why do you get off on ruining small fight by pulling armor against a few guys? Grow a pair!
  9. AlterEgo

But how will I boast to my faction about my farmtastic skills? Having 20 kills to my name sounds better than having 4000 points:confused:
  10. toast2250

I will grind them on your behalf. Recursion sound player is hungry!