I am speachless...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DIGGSAN0, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DIGGSAN0

~Roxxlyy at Forum and Reddit.

"I'm going to be honest, we'll read the feedback anyways, hate and all. (Though I appreciate the sentiment behind this thread)

More than anything, what I would really like is if players TRIED this out on the PTS before jumping to conclusions. Yes, we're still reading the feedback now. But once someone has actually played with the changes, their critiques and opinions will carry a lot more weight - right now every comment here is based off of assumptions and prior game experiences since no one has been able to touch it yet. This system is actively trying to be something new and different. Sure PlanetSide experience is a valid starting point, but ASP widens things in a new way that has not been done in the game previously. Once someone plays with it a bit, they'll get a better handle on things and we'll get a more solid idea on what we need to adjust.

And maybe all the assumptions and concerns will prove themselves to be totally correct! That's fine, we'll take care of it. I'd just like to see players firsthand experiences testing THIS system prior to doing that."

The Update does come to the live server tomorrow.
    • Up x 6
  2. FLHuk

3. DarkStarAnubis

Well ... what Roxy said is substantially correct ;) there is just a small typo:

"... More than anything, what I would really like is if players TRIED this out on the PTS before jumping to conclusions..."

IMHO should be read as:

"...More than anything, what I would really like is if players TRIED this out on the Live Servers before jumping to conclusions..."
    • Up x 1
  4. Hegeteus

Well, what I think causes so much negative fuzz is the fact that a huge part of the playerbase won't even get to try the new changes. Sure, they could've tried them in PTS, but what would that had made them feel but envious.

Have something like this progress naturally from the very beginning, and it already won't sound so daunting.
    • Up x 1
  5. DIGGSAN0

There was a PTS Playertest announced by Cyrious Gaming (PS2 Youtuber) Nick Silva himself is willing to give anyone the Analyst Helmet who does participate.

But the Update goes live before the Playtest...
    • Up x 5
  6. tommyrocket

I think the main problem with getting people to test in the first place, is the lack of spread of news. As we all know, there are many foreign players that play the game. They won't be reading these forums to see the news because it's in English, and as such, won't know/care about it.

I mean, do people realize how many don't even read patch notes, watch streams, or look at any news posts about the game in general? A lot are simply living under a rock, and are unaware of anything that is going on. That is simply their fault, but the only other way to get the word to the players is either by email, or putting it smack-dab in their face, on the game launcher. I know they use Twitter a lot, too, but there are some of us who don't prefer it.

So far the game launcher has done well enough to inform each and every player who attempts to log into the game of the usual news. It's when they occasionally skip out on news posts... that's when it becomes confusing for the lazy and uninformed.

My suggestion? Start doing news-letters again through emails to every account that has opted into it. I know I'm still opted-in, and it's been a while since I've gotten any news about the game. (Not that there's been much new to say, but just saying)

If they really want people to jump on the test server, you pretty much need to shout it in their face. Otherwise like they're doing now, forcing it to live, is the only way to get people to play it.
  7. LtBomber1

I actually think it is a good move to get it out.
    I like the changes of progression, i like that my XP gain can be again used for something, and i dont think any of the ASP perks are OP; situational usefull without doubt, but nowhere gamechangers. Therefore i treat them like directive weapons. It is the nature of the game that players are progressing, and that there is a shift within the playerbase. The grind belongs to the game.

They need/want to make money, and at the point of beeing possible playing for free for at least BR100 without any restrictions, a grindblock of 10k certs OR a one time money investment seems to be minor. However, one can argue that 10k certs is harsh for causal gamers...
  8. Pelojian

well there are two problems with testing this, one is getting the word out and the second is accessibility, someone who is new to test won't have a BR100 toon there to test ASP anyways.

they have short test for a reason, so they can pretend to listen to players and make minor changes, while leaving most of their ideas intact.

look at infiltrator they got screwed without testing over people's salt over carbine perk and they don't have much class specific ASP perks to buy.
  9. Callyste

Exactly this. While I'm an old player, I'm FAR from BR100 and I'll likely never get to enjoy ASPs. It's hard to find it compelling to test (and give my opinion on) something I'll never get to use on live servers.
  10. MonnyMoony

What percentage of the playerbase is already at least BR100 or so close to it that these changes will even be accessible?

Of those who are at BR100 or above - how many will be able to afford to sink 10,000 certs on the ASP upgrade.

For me, even though I am at BR105 - it has taken me 5 and a half years to get there. I currently have very few certs as I just bought a 1000 cert weapon - so to get to 10,000 is going to take many months of grind as I have very limited time I can actually play this game. Then what? The BR resets and I have to start all over. To get all five ASP unlocks will take another 5 years of play - perhaps longer.

For anyone just starting out, for even moderately experienced players still below BR100, and even for BR100s that don't have 10,000 certs to sink on the ASP upgrade - the ASP update represents nothing to them but a backwards step. It'll make encounters with veteran BR100+ players even more challenging than they already are - which is something this game really does not need.

All the while - many broken or cheesy things in the game that do affect low BR players or things that could make the game better for the entire player base are simply being ignored.

As for telling people to go an test them - what is the purpose. A low BR player testing on PTS cannot possibly replicate what a veteran player will be able to do with these tools in a live environment - and if you won't have access to these things anyway because you are lower than BR100, what exactly are you going to be testing? (yes I can confirm that a veteran HA wielding a battle rifle and shotgun is indeed effective in short and long range combat and i'm therefore far more likely to die at their hands.......in other news the Pope is found to be catholic).

How many changes have made it to live only to be found to be massively OP or broken in the 'real world'.
  11. Hegeteus

Problem with this thing is, that once it's out on live it's going to be difficult to make any major adjustments to it since people have reset their BR and invested into ASP.

Even without PTS, the concept itself should've been exposed to feedback longer.
    • Up x 3
  12. Naskoni

A good point and my take on the whole system - I dislike it and think it is actually bad for the game as a whole. And here is why:

One of the things I always like about Planetside 2 and it's cert system was the freedom. The freedom to play whatever you liked, however you liked, wherever you liked and still gain the same universal certs with which to unlock whatever you wanted. You could play as a medic and upgrade your tank, or ESF, or whatever. The game didn't force you to play ESFs only in order to upgrade them. You also didn't have any limitations on what to unlock first, or second, or... One could unlock any weapon and attachment at any time - absolutely everything was accessible from the get go.

Well, not anymore. Now, if you are a new player, and want to, say, have LMGs on your engineer - well, good luck, noob - now you have to get to BR100, pay a ridiculous 10 000 cert fee and THEN you can have this. This is totally not going to drive even more new players away. Nope, not a single one.

The whole ASP system also blurs the lines between the classes which is something I personally absolutely dislike. And having two primary weapons with their respective ammo capacity is also mighty stupid.

But hey, they wanted an ultra-low effort system to rake in more veteran subscriptions and the hell with new players - after all new player retention is particularly bad anyway...
    • Up x 2
  13. LtBomber1

Agree, freedom of progression was allways a fair system in the game. Maybe at least one point should be avaialable from the beginning?

As the Devs promised that there will be a respec function, this could bypass locking out unter BR100 players from the system at all.
  14. Prudentia

there was 1000x XP on PTS to test it out and you could get to BR120 and then again to BR100 in about 30 seconds with bounties
  15. Zak Preston

My dudes, you don't see the whole picture here:
    • the lazy-a$$ weapons unlocks for different classes instead of well-thought class-specific perks
    • the hasty removal of HA and Infil-specific weapons unlocks
    • the superhasty release of ASP patch on LIVE
    Looks like this ASP system is a cash grab:
    1. pay $$$ for MEMBERSHIP and\or BOOSTERS to get to BR100
    2. pay $$$ for MEMBERSHIP or grind 10k certs for months to unlock ASP
    3. grind again all those battleranks. Tired of grind? well, MEMBERSHIP + BOOSTS.
    As a proof, expect massive discounts on boosts in cash shop.
    Seems like DBG has given up on new and returning players or class and vehicles balance.
    • Up x 1
  16. Naskoni

Well, it IS very hard as not to see this it as a SUPER-hasty release. So hasty in fact that it almost looks to be desperately fast, as in - "release it before we get even more negative feedback and have to cut it even more" type of fast.
    • Up x 3
  17. Bansheedragon75

I'm currently BR 75 almost 76, its taken me about 2 years to get to this point and I expect it to take at least as long if not longer just to get to BR100.
    Then on top of that I have to grind for the ASP points as well and who knows how long that will take.

Give me one good reason why I should bother testing any of this as by the time I am actually able to use it the ASP how di I know its not long obsolete by then?
    And thats provided the game is still running by then, and I'm quite frankly not sure that will be the case seeing as the developers seems to keep catering to the Veteran/top tier players and alienating the new players.
    And new players, as if they were not at enough of a disadvantage already is going to be at an even greater disadvantage with this system, will likely be more inclined to leave than stay around for the years its going to require to get to the point where they will be able to use it.

I dont need to test the new system to know and understand that this is giving an advantage(possibly a significant one) to those that have already been playing the game for years and gotten to the point where they can start earning the points for this new system.
    But instead of accepting that they practically demand(it certainly sounds and feels like a demand to me) I tests the system first as if that particular piece of knowledge and understanding somehow hold less significance for them if I have not done any testing on the system.

If they would actually listen to their players feedback instead of demanding they test something most players will not be able to use for a very long time, if ever and then doing whatever they damned well please anyway, then they would have a much better chance of attracting new players instead of alienating them like they do now.
    And I say demanding because by saying that our feedback will hold more value(they will be more inclined to listen to it) if we test the stuff, quite frankly to me sounds like a demand as if our general gameplay experience and feedback dont mean anything.

And adding something that would benefit everyone, not just veteran/top tier players would also help attract new players as they would see that there was rewards to be had within a reasonable timeframe rather than needing to spend 4-5 years just to get to the point where they can use the stuff added.
    Also fixing all the annoying and frustrating bugs and exploits would help in making existing players and new players alike stay.

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of attitude from game developers just rankles me.
    • Up x 1
  18. Zak Preston

Buy membership and boosts to get to br100, to get ASP unlock and to grind rank over again.
  19. Bansheedragon75

Isnt that the very definition of P2W, having to spend real money to gain a gameplay advantage?
    Can you give me one good reason why I should do that?

And FYI, I actually have a membership, a membership I have been debating for some time if I should cancel and which this update made me decide to do.
  20. ElGordo95

Well to be quite honest membership always gave you as a subscriber the advantage to unlock stuff faster. And while it (atleast as far as I know) negates the 10.000 Cert barrier for free-to-players, it still doesn't give you the P2W advantage 'cus free-to-players can still unlock it, yet slower. This was always the case with the membership in the game: pay to unlock & progress faster basically.

I'm nonetheless angry at them that they push the update without further testing. A community that is extremely concerned about the state of the game, to actually work as unpaid playtesters should be considered way more into the testing process. And while there are a bunch of trolls and actual salty vets, there are way more people who do really care about this piece of software, which we'd hate to see dying due to a bunch of bad decisions.
    Also I personally don't think the devs are the ones who made the choice to rush the patch, because they agreed beforehand to the playtest day on Saturday 7.4. (see Cyrious video below) and I'd also wager that they don't want to sink the ship too. This seems imho to be more done by the upper people in the corporate structure (as NC speaking: the suits who cut the bonus-cheques so to say).