I actually find infantry combat bearable now.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diilicious, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Diilicious

Its unpopular opinion time! I have finally been able to enjoy infantry fighting for the first time since launch.

And honstly for years and years ive been playing this game and well, i've absolutely hated infantry combat sometimes id be sort of forced to do it due to vehicle timers counting down, then when that got removed it was because my vehicle nanite pool was low and then when that changed it was because I was just low in nanites anyways.

But I play vehicles most of the time, and I hunt other vehicles because shooting infantry with a tank is about as dull as it gets. Since i dont use thermals and never have done on anything but my skyguard id pretty much forgotten about them until this patch where the world seems to have ended for some. Though it always annoyed me that the air farming literally never ended at any base, ever across all maps and in every hexs, on all sides. its either the POMF POMF POMF of airhammers the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT of whatever the annoying TR airfarm weapon is or the PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW of PPA from the sky.

and these mofos could always see you no matter what did, at some points in my planetside career my entire body has just been a tumor with the collective amount of cancer ive been given from all the air farming. And then this last patch hit and... for just a breif moment, the airfarming... stopped... whether it was because all the pilots were busy typing on the forums about how they had "Quietly" rescinded their subscription (rofl) or because they just hadnt gotten used to having everything lined up like bowling pins placed on certification coloured platter it didnt matter. the farming had ended..

It was kind of one of those moments where you've been to a really loud bar and then you leave and the silence is so peircing that your ears hurt. sure the farming will start to pick up again as Pilots adjust and adapt. But during this momentary quiet spell ive found myself really getting into infantry fights, its been quite exciting especially on Hossin. and so im actually glad thermals are now the way they are.

if you made it to the end :) go eat a cookie you handsome devil you.
    • Up x 13
  2. Campagne

Using my Hawk is no longer an immediate death sentence.

I approve.
    • Up x 1
  3. Newlife1025

I absolutely hate A2G farmers. Can't walk outside the base without getting blasted. Nc could pull lock ons, but I'm guessing most of these guys don't have them. So it's a joy to walk out and not have to worry about planes ruining the fight
    • Up x 5
  4. OgreMarkX

I agree. I do think Thermals are of zero value now...that is a shame, but overall the change is good.
    • Up x 3
  5. Corezer

People will switch back to NV or something, this has happened before...
  6. adamts01

Because **** combined arms. Infantryside 2!!!! What a joke.
    • Up x 1
  7. Srazor

On my main I have thermals for my esf. When I would play my alt esf's I did not have thermals and yes you can still get infantry kills will your esf, its a little more challenging, and I like the skill involved when not using the thermals. Often especially after jumping back to my main after playing on an alt I would feel guilty farming infantry with my thermal esf, I mean its so damn easy. So yes I used them because they were available, however since I also play infantry I often was aware how both sides of the coin could feel, so I for many years could not believe the thermals actually highlighted infantry.

Whoever pushed the change is a genius.
    • Up x 1
  8. adamts01

Here's another way to look at it. Infantry have been taking knives to a gunfight. Instead of nerfing air, they should have given infantry deadly and skill-based AA. There are two ways to add challenge to a game. The hard and rewarding way is to have a balanced game, with good mechanics that reward skill and tactical thinking. The easy and **** way is to add frustrating mechanics to make the game difficult. So now the name of the game is picking out which pixels are targets and which are bushes, which is just ****. So **** this, I'm sticking with Arma 3.
    • Up x 1
  9. Eagle6

It's a placebo effect. I can still see people just the same without thermals, it just strains my eyes and is annoying. It actually feels like I kill more people now because they stupidly overestimate how much people actually needed thermals to see them. Scout radar is how I spot everyone and then I just look in that direction. Thermals just made things easier on the eyes but youre still going to be spotted just the same. If you think that thermals needed to be nerfed you're an idiot and thats not an opinion, it's the truth. Thermals just made things less annoying, but in no way were they ever a major advantage on the battlefield. Still though they need to refund the certs regardless if it's a small difference because now they're just worthless. If you cant see a vehicle without thermals... Just jump off a biolab :p
    • Up x 2
  10. FieldMarshall

To be honest it doesent seem that unpopular. Most who dont like it are just upset about not getting a cert refund.
    From what i have seen, ones who truly hate the change is the (very) vocal minority.
    • Up x 4
  11. SolVector

This is exactly where I'm at. I don't want short range nightvision at 3x the price with the added benefit of highlighting targets I can't damage.

Statistically I've been killed by NC pilots more in the last 24 hours than I have the rest of the month, so the whole nerf A2G is a joke at least as far as the NC goes.
  12. boey

Because the very majority are ground players. That's the answer. Learning curve for flying is damn high. Most players don't want to invest the time to learn it. So they simply stay on the ground and complain. That's way easier.
    • Up x 4
  13. SolVector

I'm not a pilot... Change has actually made it harder to deter aircraft for me by nerfing turrets, although not game-breakingly so. I'd be OK with it if they'd just refund my certs so I can get a more suitable optic without having to start saving all over again.
    • Up x 1
  14. Fishpoke

What game were you playing before? It was never difficult to send enemy air packing... grab AA max, sit in spawn, ??? , profit.
  15. Eternaloptimist

I've only ever played infantry and I love the changes (all of them since DBG took over) but then I always enjooyed it before. As for AA, my G2A rocket launcher is just as effective as ever - I get kills almost every time I use it. It's only been a short while since the nerf to thermals but I noticed a fair bit of "blind" shooting from aircraft (missing targets) at the weekend and I haven't been hit by aircraft once since the patch.
  16. LaughingDead

I main infantry and dear god, I have never wanted to play battleside more. It was fun before but now, I practically never die, now next up on the whineside, nerfing maxes again, because now I only die to them. Hop to it.

And for those thinking, no, I am not being sarcastic. I actually main infantry, if you could make the game easier by complaining about maxes that'd be swell.
  17. SolVector

I'm an engineer/battlebus driver/CQC infil. Haven't had certs to spare for a second burster, skyguard, G2A lockon or any other dedicated anti air, much less investing in making them survivable. My main AA is supporting those that do and using/repairing turrets, therefore weaker turrets equals more difficulty. I never said it was unbearable.

Then again, I never had an issue with A2G because I wasn't a moron who stood still in the open with aircraft around...
    • Up x 1
  18. Ziggurat8

I've died 13,521 times over the last year. 237 of those deaths by any type of weapon mounted on any type of air craft. 1.7% Wow, air was so broken as to be almost non existent!

You pull the right tool for the job. Know when the base is lost and stop spawning there because it's time to reorganize, pull more vehicles and launch a counter offensive.

Air was never over powered.

Certain players are over powered against the rest of the terribads that play this game.

That hasn't changed, nor will it ever change. Might as well start crying now about whatever else good players are using to farm you because you're BAD.

Don't bother learning the basics of effective use of your time. Just keep streaming out of the closest spawn like lemmings into smart players.

Get farmed.

Devs keep nerfing everything until all that's left are infantry weapons because of the farm! The writing is on the wall for sure. COD with planetside2 skins, out next Christmas! Think I'll find something else to do by then.
    • Up x 4
  19. LaughingDead

How do you look up those stats, that seems helpful in this exact situation.
  20. Ziggurat8

http://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=ziggurat8&show=weapons

The right most column shows killed by numbers. I just added all the air weapons together.

Auraxis Control Center app on the play store for Android shows those stats in an easier to read format. Just select "my kills" so it says "killed by" under the weapons tab.