HV ammo update (June 1) is whack!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Tanelorn

The Jun 1 HV ammo update:
    • High Velocity Ammunition
    o Increases minimum damage range by 20m for all weapon types
    o Increases projectile velocity by 5%
    o No longer increases vertical recoil
    o Decreases maximum damage range by 2m (this is the new trade-off.)

I can't agree with the nerfing of HV recoil. If your bullet is flying faster that means you put more power behind it.

Now, I can see an alternate version of HV ammo that is about adding more kinetic energy for more close range power with a tradeoff of loss of bullet stability. The massive increase in velocity also means massive drag forces as it leaves the barrel, causing the bullet to tumble / veer.

But in PS2, that is not what HV ammo is used for. These new values are contradictory and make no sense. There's no situation where the combination of no extra recoil, higher velocity, and lower max damage range can be explained except in a developer coding session. Let's keep some semblance of realism here and make HV ammo behave as it should:

High Velocity Ammunition (more powder version)
    o Increases minimum damage range by 25% for all weapon types
    o Increases projectile velocity by 10%
    o Vertical recoil higher than standard ammunition
    o Lower ammo count per magazine by 20%

High Velocity Ammunition (aerodynamic version)
    o Increases minimum damage range by 25% for all weapon types
    o Increases projectile velocity by 10%
    o Vertical recoil equal to standard rounds
    o Base damage reduced by 10%

There. Pick your approach. One type demonstrates a high-power round and the other demonstrates a more aerodynamic round. Two strategies for increasing effective range with a relatively realistic mechanic. Personally I think the velocities should get even more of a buff. 5% seems pointless. Anyway, what are your thoughts?
  2. Scr1nRusher

My brain hurts from this level of forumside.
    • Up x 1
  3. DooDooBreff

welcome to the video game world

i did enjoy the irony of you using a show about cyborgs as an example of reality though
    • Up x 1
  4. DeadlyOmen

Any mention of weapon performance in a game that does not employ immutable physics is nonsense.
    • Up x 1
  5. OldMaster80

Now there is basically no reason not to use HVA because the 2mts penalty is trivial and this attachment does not exist for close quarter weapons.
    Moreover many burst weapons got their velocity buffed further.

I've tried it with the trac burst and it felt excellent.
  6. SpeedFreakPS1

There are several weapons that have access to SPA and HVA, using SPA will still likely be the best option in most cases since most fights are still CQ and the -2 penalty on max damage will hurt
  7. Corezer

That guy was cloaked, the dude shouldn't have been able to see him! WAAAA
  8. SpeedFreakPS1

I laughed pretty hard at that last gif

poor kid though
    • Up x 1
  9. William Petersen

Something something nanites.
  10. Rikkit

I think you forgot the option of having a Bullet with less mass.
    With the same amount of powder, a lighter bullet will fly faster,
    without having more recoil (the force applied to the bullet stays the same)
    but as it's not as havy, it will lose it's energy faster to aerodynamic things.
    And as aerodynamic effects increase exponential with speed, it's reasonable to lose most of it's power on the first few meters.

so, hva just changed from just using more powder, to using the same amount of powder on a projectile with less density.
  11. ElGordo95

Poor dog. I bet there was a glitched claymore under those stairs.
  12. Nintyuk

Increases minimum damage range by 20m for all weapon types
    Disregarding the OP and his 'input' Can some one explain that that means?
    I just don't get what it's trying to say.
  13. Gundem

Let's take a hypothetical weapon: The NS-Butt**** BDSM-69.

The 69' deals 100 damage at the shortest range possible of 0-10 meters. Outside 10 meters, the damage begins to drop off all the way down to 50. It reaches 50 damage at 70 meters range.

With HVA, instead of reaching it's lowest damage at 70 meters, it is able to keep that higher damage all the way up to 90 meters.
    • Up x 1
  14. WeRelic

This thread is now about making awesome names such as this.

Begin!
  15. Nintyuk

ohh, so it's still decreasing to that minimum damage at were it would of already stopped. OK that makes sense now.
    I can see why this is no were as useful as it once was, Because it starts to drop sooner it will be lower once it reaches in this case 70m then it would of been before the changes. Damm we need some charts up in here.