Huge Discounts?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AgentRed, Jan 30, 2017.

1. AgentRed

2. BrbImAFK

They're all in the store. They're just not all that huge. And given that I think most of the stuff is chronically overpriced in terms of DBC, I decided not to buy anything at all. Especially not those stupidly overpriced, totally underwhelming "Anniversary Bundles"!

I think that the pricing is a major mistake by DBG. £7 for a single gun, that you can often only use on one class on one empire?! £6.30 if you're a member. Something like £4 if you get it on sale. Screw that noise.

I'm a subscriber, so I get "free" DBC, and I'd STILL rather pay for stuff with certs than pay those prices. If DBG provided a better store, with lower prices and a better trial program (all things that have been repeatedly suggested by multiple people), I think they'd make a lot MORE money, even after accounting for the lower prices.
  3. ColonelChingles

It used to be that you could find 2x or 3x sales on game cards. So for $5 you could get $10 of in-game cash.

Then they also had 50% off sale on items, like during the seasonal sales. Using both the card discount and the in-game sales, your $5 could buy you $20 worth of stuff.

This made a $5 camo cost only $1.25, which is much closer to a microtransaction.

Sadly sales like these have seemed to have dried up. Regrettable, but I have to assume that their marketing department found that these sorts of promotions just weren't working or something.
  4. AgentRed

There are the bundle items that haven't changed but I mean I thought like there were going to do like percent off sale or something because right now it kind of false advertisement
  5. BrbImAFK

Nope. The Anniversary Items are available for sale (I don't think they're ON sale), a whole bunch of camo's are on sale, and a bunch of Platinum NS weapons are on sale. That's it, iirc. In the ingame store, there's a "Deals" tab I think. Check under there.
  6. adamts01

I'm just trying to decide if I should even bother logging in to collect my Day Break Cash this month.
  7. Rydenan

I think of it this way: even when I'm really killin it, I'm lucky to get 100 certs an hour without boosts. So it takes me 10 hours to grind 1000 certs in order to unlock a weapon that will be usable on one character of one faction.
    Or, I could pay $7.99, which takes me about 20min of IRL work to earn, to unlock it across all characters (and all factions for NS).
    Really not that unreasonable if you ask me. And the devs need to eat, too.
  8. BrbImAFK

That's fair enough, and I've got no problem with people who think that way.

However, I can usually manage around 200 certs an hour, so it only takes me 5 hours to unlock a weapon. I'll probably USE that weapon for 20+ hours to Auraxium it, during which I've more than built up enough certs to buy the next one. Especially for ES weapons - I've only got one character per faction, so buying an ES weapon with DBC isn't going to give me any benefit at all. That said, the devs do need to eat - which is why I pay a monthly subscription, even though the benefits are almost complete crap.

Personally, I consider the prices to be extortionate - especially since there are plenty of weapons with, at best, extremely minor differences between them. As such, I simply won't buy them with DBC on principle. And given that, on top of the excessive prices, they can be nerfed into uselessness at any time, without any recourse, I can see why people are reluctant to pay those prices.

I like the idea of DBG getting enough money to keep PS2 running and development ongoing, it's just that I think more people would be prepared to drop more cash on the game if they felt they were getting more benefit from it (either in terms of subs or microtrans). I see a lot of people talking about how they wait for sales on DBC, and then wait for sales on items, so that they get them at 25% of list price. To me that says that if prices were lower, people would be more willing to spend money.
  9. Rydenan

It seems there are two types of people who play F2P games: people who refuse to pay for anything, and people who buy lots of stuff.
    I imagine that if DBG would have sold guns for half the current price, the people who buy stuff still would have bought them, and the people who don't buy stuff ("on principle," as you put it), still wouldn't have bought them. The difference being that they would have made half as much profit.
  10. entity009

The prices seemed a bit high to me when i first started playing. Once i realized that earning 1000+ certs actually took some time i became more understanding. If someone is going to buy out of 5-10 hours of farming it should cost what it does.

Buying alot of stuff with dbc will leave you feeling pretty "meh" late game when u have tons of certs to spend and nothing you are interested in buying.

Personally I only use dbc for cosmetics and NS equipment because of the benefit of getting it on all my toons.

The cost should be a bit steep for the guns i feel because your doing 2 things when you buy with dbc: shortcutting work and taking away options of things to earn for yourself later.