How to use long range LMGs

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Leivve, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Leivve

I've been toying with the different LMGs, but I can not understand how people can so reliably hit at 100 meters. I was behind cover once firing in short burst at a guy bum rushing me, and even with bursting I only got him to half health. When he got about 70 meters he returned fire on me, and despite moving and me being behind cover he near instantly killed me with all his shots landing.

Is there a technique to using LMGs as uber long range or are Vanu just easy mode?
  2. Catalyist

Though the video is about Carbines and not LMGs, I suggest you watch it and try for yourself.
    The guy talks about doing preemptive recoil adjustment instead of doing it reactively like most people probably do.
    The important stuff starts at about 4:00.

That plus burst firing should do the trick.
    Also try to do this consciously until you've got it down.
  3. Leivve

Doesn't help since I already do that.
  4. _itg

What weapon and attachments were you using? Were you moving while shooting? About how long were your bursts? How long did you pause between bursts? Were you going for headshots?
    • Up x 1
  5. qiray12

With almost all lmgs (that are viaboe for loger range) you really wanna stand still or crouchwalk max, for the rest it depends on wich weapon you use but those for the longer ranges come with some hefty recoil and shake.
    Just focus on the vertical recoil and know at what pattern your lmg moves horizontaly.

If you do know how to use the weapon but innafective at range try to halve your bursts or go back to tapfiring or 2-3 rounds bursting.

I also really suggest you to not put a higher scope on the weapon with some high recoil.
    Just grab a 1x and aim for the doritos :p
  6. Leivve

Standard comp/forward, no HV since it's useless on TMG. I standstill if I can, but naturally I only do that if I'm not under immediat risk of being fired upon. Close up a burst can be up to 15 (I then remember to let go), to 2-3 at long ranges. Rest till I reacquire target, so normally it's already settled by then. I try, but that translated to only 25% of the time or so; but if I find an easy target I'll normally go for them.

I use to play LA exclusively and love my CQC hipfire. But I can handle ADS, with my TORQ or my Cougar; actually I have more successes with a AR and Carbines at long range then LMGs.
  7. Cz4rMike

Then it's only about practice for you. Go to VR and find long range target (the range you wanna start getting hits at). Start by shooting singles at it and getting all the hits. Also do those singles with full auto mode, do not switch to single fire mode. Once you get used to aiming and recovering singles, while having the shortest pauses between shots, start bursting a bit. Longer the range, shorter the burst. Practice, practice, practice...

I've played quite a lot with TMG before and I remember having pretty sweet kills at longer ranges.

PS yeah, HA is useless unless all you do is single shots :D... the amount of recoil it adds defies the purpose of it.
  8. Dumpsterprophet

Well first of all there are people that use hacks in this game so that should be noted. Not obvious aimbot hacks but there are ones out there that are equal to aim assist and sticky targeting. I wont go there but i will try to offer any advice i can about how to improve your aim etc.

The NS guns are pretty much hands down the most controllable recoil and even though they dont do as much damage as other guns the ability to land your shots is much easier on NS guns. You also have to compensate for latency and the possibility that if you lag it may seem like people are killing you super fast but the hits arent registering to you due to lag. Since i dont know your average ping i cant say if that is or isnt the cast.

As it was also suggested the VR training room is a great place to work on your aim and bursting. However be aware that the targets in the VR room DO NOT have nano weave armor which makes gauging your damage misleading. So use the VR to work in your aim not to calculate TTK and other things like that (also due to latency). If you're stuck in being an HA give the battle rifles a try since they are more suited to long range engagements. The LMGS in this game have an atrocious Cone Of Fire which makes it hard to hit anything at longer ranges. The best automatic long range guns usually are in the medic class unfortunately and being a medic is rather boring unless you're cert farming.

Its also good to understand your attachments and what they do. I wont go into detail since Im not going to treat you like a noob. But is should be noted that high velocity ammo is tempting but it adds recoil and cone of fire bloom. If you have a gun anywhere around 600m/s for bullet velocity then there really is no need for HVA. A compensator is great and forward grip but only if you have a gun with horizontal recoil issues. If you're also going to be engaging people at ranges then use a 3.4x optic. Not much more i can tell you it just takes time to get good at landing all your shots on a target especially at range since lmg's ar's and everything else has a cone of fire that gets worse over time. Good luck.
  9. qiray12

Dont go for hard hitters right off the bet, for tr i like the rhino for longer ranges and ns15m for medium to long, for nc i just grab the gaus saw s.

If you take tmg or gaus saw you wont hit alot, they do hit the hardest but thay have higher recoil and sway so this isnt gonna help your dps beyond 70-80m.
    The reason why you are better with ar or carbines at range is i think becouse they are easier to control.

You probs wanna take off HVA on the tmg cus when i play that gun i feel less accurate with it increased recoil isnt a win at long range imo.
  10. prodo123

1x Reflex scope for better recoil management. Compensator + Forward Grip because I'm NC and want recoil management.
    Aim at the knees, fire in bursts of 2-4 so that it hops up and gets body shots as well as the occasional headshot. ADS (duh) and lead your shots accordingly. Once you're good enough you can start strafing and sniping people on the move.
    Also doesn't hurt to use a high damage-per-bullet gun to make every hit count.
  11. Corezer

OP, your bursts are too short.

3 bullet bursts will present you with all the problems that burst variant carbines have, plus you will constantly be compensating back and fourth between recoil and settle.

Try 5-7 shots. outside of 200 damage guns, the bloom isn't bad enough to need such tiny bursts.

also, how long are you letting off the mouse between bursts, it should be a brief fan, almost sounding like full auto but without bloom, only time you should let off longer would be if you lose your target in your flash.
  12. pnkdth