[Suggestion] How to solve the cheating problem

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dovahkiin, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Dovahkiin

Ok, so how do you solve the cheating problem? GM's are on frequently yet they never seem to catch even the most obvious hackers. Hundreds of people report these hackers to later find out that nothing happened to them. How is this fair?

I propose a temporary ban on any account that has had over 200 separate reports about cheating in the past hour. This temporary ban can only be lifted by a GM, or elevated to a permanent ban once the GM looks over the issue and decides whether or not the person was cheating. This ban should last about 2-3 days. This would be an ideal time for GM's to look over the issue.

This would also ensure that hackers are banned from the game as soon as possible, rather than normally waiting several days before being banned.

If the ban is lifted, but cheating is suspected, the name can be taken down and the GMs can focus on those names when they next operate.

The reason why over 200 reports should activate this is that any less and it is highly susceptible to being exploited. For example, if an outfit leader dislikes another player, he could effectively get him temporarily banned. Although this can still be exploited, it will do a lot more good than bad.

Discuss.
    • Up x 2
  2. Zorro

It should weed out the worst of the hackers. I approve.
  3. ghettoizm

Automatic ban's based on reports.. No.
    • Up x 3
  4. Skippytjc

The problem with this is the fact that somebody can just tell their Outfit to report a person. I know its a stretch, but large outfits could do this as a tactic or griefing method.
    • Up x 3
  5. LuNaTIcFrEAk

This is way too easy to abuse. Large zerg outfits can do mass reports or players can ask over /yell to mass report a player that's never even killed them. This can be done out of spite for a player rather than for cheating.

When you report you can click the last killed button to autofill the name, if someone even gets 100 reports an hour via the last killed button I 100% agree with this. This means the reports are actually coming from someone who has had contact with the person in question.
    • Up x 1
  6. smoke eater

How about having a wall where people who are being investigated can be posted and those that have been dealt with make the results public. People can see that SOE is doing something and for those that find their names on the wall, it will give an incentive for them not to cheat if they know they are being investigated.
    SOE doesn`t seem to want to do anything because it may mean a lack of revenue for them. If they ban someone who buys SC, will that person never spend money on a SOE game again? I think they should ban the person and make them pay $10 to get their account re-activated. Second time it is $20 and so on.
  7. Dubious

What about 1 active GM 24/7...
  8. Kevin85

I think that GM may die of sleep deprivation. How about a bunch of volunteer GMs like they had BattleOps in Tanarus?
    • Up x 1
  9. Dubious

Don't have to be the same GM, doh! :p
  10. MissTiger

Won't work, no one would pay to get unbanned, they'd just make a new account.
  11. Drakcol

Not too far of a stretch, yesterday I shot down 18 enemy ESF's in 10 minutes. I got raged at as a hacker bad enough I made a video of the event.
  12. KRE8R125

Sounds EXACTLY like something BCP would do.
    • Up x 1
  13. Cyllus

The only way to deal with hackers, imo, is to make the download of the game require a fee. $4.99 to download and create an account.
    Tie the account to a CC and the hackers will go away. Anything else and they'll just make new accounts and start over.
  14. Zorro

Watch as the game shrinks to less than half its population as it is no longer free.
  15. InMedeasRage

Obvious hackers aren't the biggest problem here, though they do ruin an evenings fun. The biggest problem is passive aim assist and ESP. The player model's weapons don't jump, locking target to target but they are getting the shots/headshots from the aim assist. They aren't getting them instantly, but it is still there. ESP is worse than that, showing the location of anyone in your render distance for you to kill at your leisure and in the best way possible.

I remember speed tweaks being a thing in previous games, anyone else think they're seeing instances of extremely convenient lag affecting one player over and over again?

Regardless, how does one reliably find and ban the 'soft' cheats without false positives? Or too many false negatives?
    • Up x 1
  16. Cyllus

A possibility, but if you have the money to by a comp and video card that will run PS2 are you really going to balk at a one time $5 fee?
  17. HadesR

Open to abuse by outfit's .. Someone pisses you off " Hey guy's all report him " = Temp ban
  18. Barosar

Yes. Normally ESFs or other aircraft when they're getting lock-ons. Suddenly they warp/jump laggy-like... but only then. Otherwise they fly smoothe as anyone else. It is like on a toggle for them.
  19. TimoWasTaken

So 25 people create 8 characters each, half an hour maybe. Then they walk down the leaderboard banning every NC in the top 200.

Yea! Vanu wins.
  20. ironeddie

Surely if hackers when banned just create a new account then they would do that even for a temporary ban.

I would pay a one off fee for the game but I doubt it would stop all hackers. People have paid £30/£40 for call of duty or battlefield games & people still use hacks in those games online components.