How to profile PS2 performance?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by sagolsun, Mar 16, 2013.

1. sagolsun

PS2 doesn't have consistent environments to test against and the current slowdowns are directly correlated to the player count and just how much fighting is going on. I tried to use Intel's VTune Amplifier to get some data but the game apparently has anti-debugging measures build in to slow down cheat development which make the game crash if it detects the profiler hooks.

We'll be getting new patches that might improve performance for some and decrease it for others, so I'd like to record some data and have a benchmark to go against and see if that helps or not on my particular machine. At this point I the best report I can submit is "game is slow when people shoot each other", which is not much help to anyone I guess. I'd like to get a better view of what exactly is causing the bottleneck on my machine - is it waiting for scaleform or maybe IO? How does the CPU usage change, on a more granular scale, with each patch? Without some better tools I can't tell.

So what would you suggest to get some actual data on PS2's performance?
  2. sagolsun

Testing suspended until I get myself unbananaed. I sort of had the feeling this could happen.

Good to know they've got basic hook detection in place. Takes care of the low hanging fruit I guess.