How to play medic properly ?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Rhello, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Rhello

I spent an insane amount of time solely playing one class, being the infilttrator. And when I wanted to spice things up, I found myself confronted with a big problem : survivability. I either ran stalker cloak or nano cloak and SMG, getting me a lot of kills, but also allowing me to wallhack (lets be honest, motion spotters are OP) and become invisible without a lot of drawbacks, apart from the flashlights, and the motion spotters themselves.

Without all my past crushes, I was left for a short time defenseless, but quickly used the usual stuff, like slicing corners, moving with others & such, and it worked. A bit. The biggest part of the problem is that I somehow can't seem to do more than a 1.5 k/d on a regular basis (including revives ofc, it'd be MUCH lower without), coming down from an easy 2.5+. I often get shot while reviving, thinking someone would actually care enough to cover me, and the worst is I get insulted while I'm actually trying my best to get everyone up while not trying to die because of some random nade thrown by a BR 5 or by the generic BR 120 heavy assault MLG press F2Win.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, being either not going for the good fights (most of the fights were underpops from TR, with heavy tank shelling), taking too many risks with revives and dying in the process, or not getting in the right place on the battlefield, or probably a combination of all those.

Basically, I'd like to have if possible :

- advanced tips on the general gameplay of a medic. There's something inherently flawed in my style, considering I had the sweet cover of a cloak during nearly 70% of my playtime, and didn't have to care about the team effort except by giving them intel with spotters and marking enemies.
    - good gameplay videos (bonus points if it's a TR medic, even more so if it's detailled).
    - general imput from experienced medics.
    - a weapon at least that'd cover close to mid range effectively, with more versatility than the cycler, despite this one being a beast, I still find it limited for mid ranges (above 50 meters).

I openly admit I suck at being a medic. It's VERY frustrating to die in ridiculous ways, from EMPs or general nade spamming, to 2V1s while reviving & so on... Thanks in advance to anyone willing to post something helpful.
  2. Halkesh

About the weapon, you'll need a good sidearm since it happens to be caught with the medic tool in the hand. (switching to sidearm or using the quickknife is a wiser choice than take your primary, even more if you had a forward grip on it.
    About primary weapon, you should have 2 choice and change frequently : one for the CQC/short range (TAR, Cycler, Cycler TRV and any SMG) and one for the medium-to-long range. (Cycler, Cycler B, TORQ-9)
    I rarely play TR so these weapon choice I suggest you are about stats, not tested gameplay TAR, Cycler, Cycler TRV and any SMG can fit the short range primary.

Medic gameplay is probably all about placement witch is your main weakness since you lack your motion spotter and the cloak.
    -learn from your misstake : ask yourself "how can I avoid this death the next time ?"
    -use cover or distraction (ally and freshly revived ally are distraction)
    -be polite is the best way to stay alive : you don't want to fall in an ambush or walk on a mine, so let the heavy go ahead.
    -don't revive an ally if it put you in danger.
    -don't equip your medic if you see a direct threat.
    -If possible, take cover while you're revive someone.
    -you can revive through wall, but you need a line of sight to start the revive.

Cycler is one of the best versatile and effective AR so it's hard to say, but you should check the TROQ and the Cycler B. They're both great long range weapon that are still competitive at close range.
  3. Ximaster

Welcome to the class,i restart playing the game after 1 year off,last year i mainly play infiltrator stalker too,and im "good" with the Blackhand revolver,inclusive i make a various tips for that weapon.

But last day i replay the stalker again and i get killed multiple times caused i dont know how to positioning again,also my computer doesnt help...when i have a clear objective,i have lag spikes,so when i uncloak and i have lag spike,when the game run right again i see a death screen.

But this is about getting a better computer. About medic,im going to restart the game but this time as medic,and im lost like u,survivality is not the strong point,not only for medics,but also for other 4 clases.

Medics cant cloak,so we need to adapt to the new playstyle. As the user above,we need to take care of those tips.

But im Vanu not TR,i suggest to pick the SABR-13 if u play TR as u said,with the Repeater as primary u get cover on all distances.

Btw i want tips too,because i play Vanu,and ive build the Equinox VE2. On wiki,it says that with underbarrel smoke launcher and TS/NV sight u can do magic,and the weapon is very adaptative to battlefiled...
  4. Silvr

Playing medic (and engineer) is a completely different play style from many of the other classes. The first suggestion that I have in playing the class is change your thinking. Forget about KDR. First and foremost you are a support class. This does not mean you cannot be a force to be reckoned with but it is not your primary focus.

As a support class (medic or engineer) first cert out your tool (heal/rez or ammo) to max as soon as you can. Follow the massive zergs and do what your class does to keep the fights going. There is no shame in a support class huddling in a safe corner keeping the assault teams alive and stocked. In fact, often times it is the huddles support class that allowed the battle to be won.

Gear setup will of course vary.

Medics will want to fully cert grenade belt and get revive grenades. See lots of dead people in a mass, chuck in a revive grenade from a safe distance. Massive fight? Count to 20 and throw in another, rinse repeat until your empty then go back and restock.

More specific suggestion for a medic is watch the other medics around you. If you see a ton of shield regens go aoe heal. If you dont, drop the shield regen right at a choke point where your seeing a lot of incoming fire.

When rezzing do not stop moving, if you stop moving you are dead. Someone died out in the open? Haul *** for them with tool out, attempt to rez then but dont slow down. You can start the rez when you get close and by the time your past them complete it. Any TR or NC medics on emerald please ignore this though. You guys stand out in the open for as long as you can, I could use the help completing my medic directive.
  5. Eternaloptimist

I play Medic as a combat class - heals and rezzes happen along the way but are not my primary role. I still let the HAs take the worst of it ofc but thinking like a fighter is great for situational awareness.

I run nanoweave (an unconventional choice for a Medic I think) as 'nades are easier to run away from than bullets if you are close to the fight. I have at least one rezz 'nade (great for rezzing without exposing yourself to fire) and frequently find it quite easy to re-stock.

I also have the auto heal ability (maxed out) it's a personal, rechargeable resto kit. And the healing gun has quite a decent range, so you can oftern heal from behind cover if you use its range to the full.

I have battle hardened implant instead of my usual regen (on other classes) becasue of auto heal.

Personally, I have kept the TORQ 9 as my CQC / medium range AR although I know there are ARs more optimised for CQC (the TAR?). I think the TORQ is so verstile and will do in a pinch if I don't have the chance to swap to my long range AR (SABR13). For me, the 2x burst 167 is a bit more stable (accurate) at long range than the T1B Cycler (3x burst 143).
  6. MurgNC

I've completed the Medic Class Directive and also the Medic NC Assault Rifle Directive (Gauss Prime) -- these are a few basic things I've learned:

1. The heal tool. Once the "get up" animation starts on your downed ally your job is done; no need to continue to hold the trigger or stick around. When I first started as a Medic I got killed tons of times trying to revive someone who was already revived, but they just hadn't hit the respawn button yet.

2. Reviving through walls. Just like with infiltrator hacking, you only need to have line of sight to initiate the heal/revive. Once it has started you can often move to better cover and continue the process.

3. Risk analysis. How many people can a dead medic revive? Zero! As a medic a lot of times you're going to see dead allies in places where it is too dangerous to go out and revive them. Keeping yourself alive has priority. Learning which people are worth saving and which allies are un-savable is a big part of being a successful Medic.

4. Order of priority. If you have numerous downed allies, start by reviving the ones in the safest location. If everyone is about the same risk, start by reviving in this order:
    #1 People with a countdown timer about to expire
    #2 Other Medics
    #3 MAXes
    #4 Everyone else

In those rare cases where you are in imminent danger of being overrun, other Medics move to the top of the priority revive list.

5. The "Combat" part of Combat Medic. Kill nearby enemies, THEN revive nearby allies. Your self-heal ability combined with nanoweave and the excellent Medic-only assault rifle class of weapons means that you can fight on the front lines and win. You probably can't beat a heavy or MAX in a one-vs-one duel, but as a Medic you should have lots of allies around you. The self-heal means that you can be more aggressive than other classes with hit and run tactics. Pick C4 for your utility if you want to have an anti-MAX, anti-vehicle option that's also great for point defense. If you're about to breach a room, the Medic should NOT be the first one to charge through the door, but you shouldn't be the last either. You should be behind the heavies and MAXes, shooting and healing.

6. Picking the right fights. Medics excel at large scale infantry vs infantry fights. They are especially useful in fights where your spawn is far away from your objective, and your side needs "staying" power at the objective. Medics are not very useful in small fights (1-12), in fights with lots of vehicles, or in fights where you expect to be attacked soon after spawning in.

7. Best use of your time. Don't bother reviving someone who died just next to your spawn unless you're desperate for the XP. You don't help your faction by doing so (waste time), put yourself at risk, and they'll just respawn in the same place a few seconds later. The same goes for reviving allies who you know are going to get killed as soon as you revive them - don't bother.

If you're interested in more info, I did a Youtube video where I reviewed what I spent certs on. The Medic part starts at the 32 minute mark. There's no combat in the video, and it's from the NC perspective, but it might help you choose what to spend your certs on.

• Up x 1
  7. Rhello

Thanks for the answers. I forgot to say that I did already cert out everything on the medic, including C4. My performances the times I played medic went up just because I stopped reviving guys who put themselves into suicidal places, and stuck to cover/position held by the team.
  8. FieldMarshall

Im honestly not that good at Medic, but have been playing it non-stop since its my last class to aurax.

I noticed 3 things that helped me be more useful.

1. Stay behind your team. Dont be the first to enter doors etc. Instead, stay a bit back so you can revive people.
    If everyone in front of you dies, you can clean up the remaining enemies and revive everyone.

2. Dont sacrifice yourself to revive everyone. If someone dies in a "bad spot" then ignore them.
    You are more useful to your empire alive instead of rushing out into enemy crossfire and dying.
    At first it may seem cruel to just sit there and look at a dead friendly that you may be able to revive, but you get used to it.

3. Make sure the coast is clear when going to revive someone. Especially if there are no other friendlies around.
    When i started to play medic, i would see a friendly, pull out my medtool and run towards them to revive them as soon as possible.
    Instead, take like 5 seconds to look around before trying to revive.
    Since it takes longer, the person you are trying to revive is more likely to respawn before you can revive but at least it wont get you killed as often.
    • Up x 1
  9. Drunk

In general, you should measure your performance and effectiveness as a medic simply just by the rate: allies_revived / your_own_deaths. Very simple, universal and profitable rule of thumb. Everything else is situational. But those "situational" moments when your unique abilities are the only thing that can turn the tides of the battle in the favour of your team - that's the reason medic is still my favorite class in this game.
  10. Deffington

Rhello, you ****** me up so many times with your TSAR I can't even count it. Being medic isn't that much about K/D. I guess it's much different than Infil, because I spent most of time being a medic and can't play Infil at all. Different world.

Also, it is different to play in TS hardcore squad and playing solo medic. If you play solo, benefit from self-heal, advanced shield and C4. Only if you play in hardcore squad you want revive nades with bandolier or flak armor and shield thingy. I guess that as someone who is used to run headshots, you would like to use SABR or AMR?
  11. Dualice

A concept the MLG tryhards that yell at medics over proxy chat still don't understand. :D

"Medic.... mediiiiic... mediiiiiiiic..."

*tell* fk u man fkin uselss scrb go gt cncer

[You are now ignoring user_x]
    • Up x 2
  12. LaughingDead

All I can say beyond what everyone else has already said is make sure you have gunplay down.
    Since you're right at the front lines and you're going to be right next to whatever just killed your mate it's important to know how to heal and manage time for gunning people down. I can't tell you how many times I went in as a heavy and killed an entire room at half health because the enemy medic was standing there healing a downed dude.

Because of how the clientside way of the game works, if you have your medtool on a guy and 2 people aren't watching that door, a heavy can peek in, kill you and walk right back out because you gave that green "shoot me now" sign. While you sometimes have to make that risk anyhow it's better to be aware of it than not be aware of it.
  13. Moz

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with you medic. Medics are versatile.

A classic Medic (heal and res) role is the easiest role to play in PS2.

Build around staying alive:

Flak not Bando
    Med Kits not C4

Concentrate on staying out of line of fire from the enemy and keeping team mates alive (without risking your life).

!!NUMBER ONE RULE WHEN PLAYING A STANDARD MEDIC!!

You are not there to score kills!!
  14. Eternaloptimist

I still find that mixing the healing and the fighting works well. Fighting is fun and with the AR (until they nerf it) you have a really good weapon for the job. Helps to keep my situational awareness up as well.

But remembering to heal and revive when it is safe to do so is important. Rezz 'nades instead of frag are really good for healing in the middle of firefights where trying to reach a downed ally is suicide. Especially those fights where your people are dropping like flies all together in one place (like holding a cap point). The nanite auto heal also helps to do medic things while still keeping an eye on the fight or taking part in it.

The trick I find is not to get obsessively focused on one role or the other.
  15. Drunk

Mixing healing and fighting is ok if your goal is to have some casual fun on your scarce free time (as I do myself most of the time). But on those special occasions when you find yourself in a well organized platoon with a clearly stated agenda - you better pick the class most suitable for a particular situation.
    • Up x 1