How to play as a sniper???

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ximaster, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Ximaster

After replaying engineer and HA a Little,im actually playing Infiltrator,but not stalker.

I have unlocked the 325 certs sniper rifle,i swear that his name is XM98 or maybe im wrong,whatever,i prefer play stalker,but playing as a sniper is more fun and rewarding,caused when u hit on the head...mmmmhhh...delicious headshot.

I have advanced shield capacitor and med kits...im towards to cert the radar darts.

The first class i was inverted the first 15 BRs certs was HA,i unlocked the Pulsar LSW and its a trash weapon,so,after being killed over and over (caused my computer have lag spikes in the middle of the battle) with the HA,im returning to my old sniper system (when i played a NC sniper from 2013)

So,half of things ive learned from that year of playing NC sniper stay intact,but sometimes i do wrong faults,like place myself inside a base being conquered,so the death is sure.

I know that sniper must pick long,high and cover places for do his work. But sometimes this wrong faults make me to die by an enemy sniper.

I dont know how they do for detect me first,because a friendly mate is near me,or maybe multiple mates around me and the enemy aim to me...

Unbelieveable but true.

And now im here for take tips from experts (im not a noob,but neither an expert) HOW TO DETECT ENEMY INFILTRATORS AT DISTANCE WHO ARE SNIPING ME????

What places usually pick the enemy snipers??? What places i must avoid???? What places are a farm places???
  2. Campagne

Well, there can be many different ways that enemies can detect you. They could simply just notice you sitting there, or watched you get into position and such. If you fire off multiple shots, especially without relocating, you're bound to draw the attention of others. If you killed them (possible as a different class) they might switch to a sniper themselves with an idea of where you are. Teammates might even start firing nearby, drawing attention to the area where you are.

You should also make sure that you are cloaked 100% of the time that you are out in the open and while aiming, if possible. This makes it very difficult to both detect you and counter-snipe you. Make sure that you move at least a few steps every time you fire. You may also want to invest in motion spotters (rather than darts, but both work) and place them down so that you're always near the center of the detection field, to make it harder to sneak up on you as well.

Hope that helps. :)
  3. Ximaster

The idea of cloak and moving after every shot,ive been assumed,that is the first u learn when u play as a sniper and that is what ive learned at 2014 when ive played the game with worse computer (9 FPS on low fights)

Now i have a better computer,but still i have 4 FPS on big fights (30 on low) making the game unplayable.

The only thing that im curious its on the motion spotter,how much i can carry??? How much certs i need to invest??? How much metters scan??? How much seconds the motion spotter have before dissappear???

I assume that motion spotter is much better for cover ur position,but recon darts can scan on longer distances.

I will unlock the two,but first the recon darts,if later i pick the motion spotter and i see that i have more benefit with it,i will carry motion spotters a lot.
  4. Twarion

You can carry at 2motion spotters by default and up to five if you cert out the ability. The ability duration starts at 120 seconds and goes up to 240 seconds when maxed out. If you're not the mobile type of infiltrator then the motion spotter is your best choice.

When firing at people you need to realize that your shots leave a trail to your location. So when a guy gets shot from a point which is still in his FOV (Field of View... just in case you don't know this term), he most likely will figure out your general location. Especially when you miss him, and he starts scanning for your location. Another thing is the deathscreen which shows the general direction from which you have been killed from.

So if you stay in a place for too long it's just a matter of time when a counter-sniper hits you or a salty vet is going for your *** with his light assault.

The thing about sniper locations: Of course you can choose the highest places where you have the best view, but keep in mind that these places are the most obvious places for snipers to hide, so experienced player will look there first of course. The next thing is: When you're actually sitting at one of these high places, like a hill or something, there are some ways of preventing to get downed instantly. First you need to make sure that you expose as little of your body as possible... well... this is self-explenatory. Another tip is not to sit at the very top of the hill, but a little lower, so that you have a rockformation or something like that in your back. This makes you much less standing out when being uncloaked while taking a shot.

And always try to go for the flank.
    As I mentioned before, your gun leaves a trail when shooting, so even when you're 200+ meters away, good Infiltrators will notice you and kill you in no-time when you are shooting them head-on. Try to get behind them or in their flank (this is really easy with a cloaked flash for instance).

The things that I told you to avoid are the same thing you need to look out for when you're trying to find an enemy infiltrator who is shooting at you. If he missed you, cloak, move and try to pin point his general location by following the line of the trail.

If you can't find him it's essential to switch your position, like moving up to another rock or building (not just peeking on the other side of the same rock). If you repeek and the other guy is not a low-bob he will most likely kill you.

If you have figured out his general location, then you have two options:

1. When the fight is crowded you can stay cloaked and wait for him to make a mistake by shooting at one of your allies and making himself vulnurable. While scanning it's important that you go into cover before your cloak runs out, so that you don't make it too obvious you're waiting for him. He might think that you have moved on, then he will start shooting your allies and when he uncloaks to do that, get him. But this works only against players who are not so good with infiltrator and even then only once so you need to make that shot count.

2. You try to flank him. This might take a little while and effort, but feels very rewarding when you end up being successful ^^. When I pin point the location of an enemy infiltrator who poses a threat to me, I mark the location on my minimap when I try to flank him. This helps me alot in terms of orientation... Might be usefull for you aswell.

Another nice "trick" when countersniping is, if you're lucky enough to have a cloaked sundy nearby, you can just stay in the unlimited cloak of the Sundy to scan the area, and wait for the enemy Infiltrator to make a mistake.

One last option left is to bait him... But this is risky of course and might end up with your death. Peek out and keep strafing left and right, looking in the direction you assume getting shot from. When he tries to take the shot at you, you follow the trail again... This works pretty well even if he kills you, then you can respawn and you have the advantage. But don't peek out at the exact same spot of course ^^

I hope this was a little help to you... If you got any other questions feel free to ask me.
    Since I'm main infiltrator with a few hundred hours on this class, I might be able to help you out here and there ;)
    • Up x 1
  5. Rhello

• First, don't invest into darts, get the motion spotters, hell, even thought they're going to get nerfed, they're still going to be overpowered when holding a position (plus you get 5 of them right now).
    • Then, drop the advanced shield capacitors, as it's not a class you're going to play very aggressively, and you're going to need either ammo, or nano-weave armor if you get attacked by a light assault or a stalker, I chose the second one for all my infiltrator loadouts, it's dope to survive with 1% hp left, regenerate everything, get back to the guy and mag dump his face with your sidearm. About that, get a good CQC sidearm, which is the spiker for VS, since you're going to need that very high DPS up close. Med kits are very good (completely OP is what I mean), and allow as I said to get back in the fight very quickly, or to survive and try to get to a safe spot.
    • And to another of your points : you can't spot snipers with the radar most of the time, since they're going to be sniping from afar, so you need to see the muzzle flash of their weapon. In other words, patience. NB, the muzzle flash at night are even more noticeable, making snipers easy picks.
    • Last but not least, get into a good position that isn't getting shelled 24/7 by the enemy and is at a reasonable distance of the fight. If you can't find distant positions, you may want to go at a farming spot (place that has a visual on a place where there are a lot of immobile enemies), and start shooting, while making sure there aren't any people susceptible to check where you are, and put a silencer IF you're good at compensating for the drop (had nice 15+ killstreaks this way). Also, using a silenced sniper rifle sometimes implies not putting down motion spotters, because they're going to check your location if they've got two working braincells.
    If there's a last tip I can give, it is that you should go for the Parrallax ASAP, and get used to the velocity drops in the VR training.

If you want accurate numbers for the motion spotters, Wrel has done a video on it.

EDIT : Motion spotters can be used offensively aswell, you just got to drop them before a building or something similar to make them work : 50m of range is enough for anything, really.
    • Up x 1
  6. PanzerGoddess

• First, don't invest into darts, get the motion spotters, hell, even thought they're going to get nerfed, they're still going to be overpowered when holding a position (plus you get 5 of them right now). Darts have worked me since BR1 so either works really well, a mobile infiltrator will have more use for darts than motion spotters anyday. Any non mobile infy using motion spotters typically stay in the area.....Its what your intentions are far.
    • Then, drop the advanced shield capacitors, as it's not a class you're going to play very aggressively, and you're going to need either ammo, or nano-weave armor if you get attacked by a light assault or a stalker, I chose the second one for all my infiltrator loadouts, it's dope to survive with 1% hp left, regenerate everything, get back to the guy and mag dump his face with your sidearm. About that, get a good CQC sidearm, which is the spiker for VS, since you're going to need that very high DPS up close. Med kits are very good (completely OP is what I mean), and allow as I said to get back in the fight very quickly, or to survive and try to get to a safe spot. Nano is great for cqc, ammo is great also if your solo, after awhile you will want to check your stats, your k/d can determine which one is best suited for you. This just my opinion, anything 1.5 lower Id go with ammo, your odds of surviving that much longer with nano is very slim, having more ammo is always better. Going solo I stick with nano, with no medics around when you die...you die. If your in a good group stick with nano, the odds of an engy around is always good, means ammo. Just my two cents.
    • And to another of your points : you can't spot snipers with the radar most of the time, since they're going to be sniping from afar, so you need to see the muzzle flash of their weapon. In other words, patience. NB, the muzzle flash at night are even more noticeable, making snipers easy picks. Awwww come on, thats what the asd chicken dance is for, just do the chicken dance and wait for the bullets to wiz by or hit u lol, always a great way to find enemy snipers :D
    • Last but not least, get into a good position that isn't getting shelled 24/7 by the enemy and is at a reasonable distance of the fight. If you can't find distant positions, you may want to go at a farming spot (place that has a visual on a place where there are a lot of immobile enemies), and start shooting, while making sure there aren't any people susceptible to check where you are, and put a silencer IF you're good at compensating for the drop (had nice 15+ killstreaks this way). Also, using a silenced sniper rifle sometimes implies not putting down motion spotters, because they're going to check your location if they've got two working braincells. Farming...such op tactics....how boring.
    • Up x 1
  7. PanzerGoddess

Hey Rhello noticed your gunning for the ts2 inquis, fancy that, me too!
  8. BartasRS

Althought I still consider myself a noob in this game (4 months) I noticed that some places are just too obvious for a sniper. Sometimes, when I snipe, I shoot blindly in places I would pick as a sniper and you would be amazed how many headshots I score then.

OFC places which put you against the sky are bad because you will be standing out. I found somewhere on this forum a nice guide when someone analyses what gear (helmet/armor/camo) you should have so you do not stand out so clearly for human eye/brain.

Oh and XM98 is a nice, cheap sniper rifle for starters. I almost Arxed it before I jumped to Parallax.
  9. Rhello

I love that gun, loads of dakka, accurate, huge mag, good damage profile, and fits literally any class. In fact, I love it so much that almost done auraxiuming it while I just started using it intensively for a week now. If the President was like this gun, I'd just use this weapon all the time !
  10. PanzerGoddess

agreed. Im 71 short I believe to rax it. Should have it tonight for sure. Silenced is even better, just love that 30 round silenced clip lol
  11. Eternaloptimist

Haven't read all threads due to lack of time but just a few of quick points:
    • a crouch walking infil with max cloak will not show up on enemy motion spotter unless he slips down a hill or something.
    • Cloaked infils are quite easy to see when sprinting or even walking if you have certain graphics settings.
    • Experienced players can work out where good sniping positions are and may keep an eye on them to wiat for a sniper to decloak
    • I spend a fair bit of time hunting snipers. The noise of a shot or the little red blip on the mini map tells me roughly where they are even if I don't actually see them. Most snipers do not move far enough away before taking their next shot so it is only a matter of time before I cannntch one
  12. Ximaster

Yeah,im killed by Rhedo few days ago when i was playing on Miller,but ive had problems with a spanish outfit on Miller,and since i dont like to play with different faction,i switched to Cobalt,my old server. On Cobalt,few time ago,there is plenty of experienced players,today is plenty of noobs. I killed on my first 5 BRs 27 persons without die (of course im inside a room but those noobs show his head to me on front of spawn room,very funny and nice farm) Also,ComradeDukharev is here (maybe is Iridar51???) but i dont see in action last night when i was fighting versus TR.

Also,ontopic,i restarted the char from Rank 0,ive got some kills with the hunter sniper,but i will invest the first certs on first 15 BRs with: Hunter cloak,Adv.Shield Capacitor and med kits.

Is that what i feel better because i like to play agressive,sometimes i die a lot,but i dont like to wait much for the reload of shields,puts me nervous.

Also,med kits help me if an enemy sniper hurt me,i have 4 med kits for heal,more tan done on battlefield.

And finally,recon darts or motion spotter???? I will use recon darts first,are cheaper on more useful tan motion spotter,like PanzerGoddess said,with motion spotter u need to take only a solid place and its only useful for u. Recon darts can help teammates too.
  13. Nepau

I really have a few tips for new snipers:

• Cloak is your friend. try to be cloaked as much as possible in the open, and get use to how long your cloak will last. always try to not let it run down to around 10-15% as uncloaking around that range can cause weirdness with lag (cloak actualy runs out before it regesters your attempts to uncloak and recloaks you instead).
    • Try to switch directions as soon as you cloak. Many people will fire in the direction you were heading when you cloak, so by changing where you were going makes it harder for them to get that hit
    • Be unperdictible in your shots. Try to never take shots at the same interval as many counter snipers will watch for that and shoot or prep to shoot you when they expect you to reappear. This also applys to the idea that you try not to uncloak at the exact same position as you were just at.
    • While most patterns are bad, one good pattern to get into is this: Cloak behind cover, pop out and find a shot to line up, Hold breath/uncloak and fire, then quickly cloak and return to cover.
    • ALWAYS assume there is a counter sniper looking for you.
    • Always assume a missed shot means that they saw you and are now targeting you
    • Other snipers are always the #1 threat, as even if they are not targeting you at the moment, they will soon enough
    ohh and my #1 tip for new infiltrators. ALWAYS MOVE WHEN YOU CLOAK. I can't count the number of new infiltrators I have killed because they just cloak and stay exactly where they were. Your cloak may mean I don't see you at the moment, but it doesn't mean that I forgot where you were.
  14. MajiinBuu

Everything has probably been said already, but just in case...
    Shoot to kill. If you don't finish someone off, they'll hunt you down.
    Be weary of ESFs. They will spend a ridiculous amount of time hunting solo snipers.
    Unsuppressed shots will blip on the minimap from within 50 meters. Bullet tracers are also faction-colored.
    The first-person camera is at your shoulder. If you can barely see over an obstacle, your head and shoulders are completely exposed.
    Avoid q-spotting people unless you're a good distance away, voices are faction specific. Also pay attention to distant voices.
    Of course, tactics vary depending on the situation.
  15. ArcKnight

https://aninfiltratorsblog.wordpress.com/

firstly there are only two kinds of snipers
    1) those who know what their doing
    2) those who don't have a clue what their doing

the former are more likely to kill you than the latter as enemy snipers are top priority targets

Getting Kills:
    • Always go for headshots
    • Aim for targets that have stopped moving for whatever reason
    • Be patient when lining up shots, don't rush otherwise you'll miss and waste ammo and might alert the enemy

Good sniping positions must meet the following conditions:
    • gives you a good view of the enemy lines
    • is in a place where the enemy isn't focusing on or even likely to expect an enemy to come from (it has to be at the enemies flanks or behind them)
    • easily keeps you well hidden within the background and you easily can back away after firing a shot (this is the most important)
    Avoiding enemy detection:
    • experienced enemy snipers are more likely to find you first since they know where snipers usual snipe from and are actually equipped to kill you easily. After firing a shot or two people will suspect there's a sniper around and start looking around for you
    • After firing each shot you need to immediately move back into cover and stay hidden till you think its safe to try another shot... if you feel your position is known to the enemy then its time to change positions
    • use your cloak wisely if your very close to the enemy as the cloaking sound is your worst enemy in those situations an its best used when changing positions

Target Priorities:
    • Snipers: they are equipped for long range killing and they know your more likely to kill them so they will prioritize you
    • Medics: they revive and heal so killing them means the enemy won't be able to fight your allies easily plus they are drawn to fallen allies like a moth to flames to pick em off the moment they stop moving
    • Engineers: they keep allies full supplied and repair MAX's.. MAX's need an engie to repair them otherwise they lose a lot of their killing potential
    • HA/LA's: they are second last on your priorities
    • MAX's: your not equipped to take these out so ignore them and leave them to your allies
  16. DocLorria

Lots of good advice here. o7 for the tips above.

I am a fairly new sniper, having played medic quite a bit (hailing back to the good old days of being an EQ Druid/Cleric).

My 2 cents:

Know your terrain. I started watching where bullets come from outside of the main battle. You can see the tracer of the snipers bullet. There are, "favorite" spots people snipe from. I try to avoid those as a place to snipe from, but I watch them for other snipers.

For me, I had to experiment and am still in the process of experimenting, given the different maps and bases, of the good places to snipe from. I try to go where I have a view of the battle, am not in a common location for snipers, and have some cover. Alot of times I will go to the backside, versus a flank. I also watch the map, if it looks like we are losing territory from a zerg etc, I go one territory back, set up on what would become the rear or flank and wait for the zerg to roll through. 2-5 minutes of waiting to get set up and then the fun begins.

I cloak, peek, take a shot or not, and re-cloak and move. I try not to go back to the first place I shot for at least 3-4 sniper shots. I learned this the hard way - great location, 2-3 kills and killed - I used the place too much.

I have watched videos about the sniping and motion detection process and think they are great. Everyone has favorite locations - some posted have worked for me and some I have found on my own.

VR - I pulled a sundy in the VR and started to experiment with distances and scope use. I would start at 100m and work back to about 300m. It seemed to me I could not get a sight picture because of terrain around the VR close to the spawn area, but 300m was sufficient. I checked these ranges using the personal waypoint. In game, I would or do set up my range using the personal waypoint and wait. I do not have to guess much at ranges and reticle use.

Darts versus beacon. I prefer darts for hiding in the hills. I look for beacons - it lets me know I have an enemy sniper somewhere nearby to shoot. Nestled in, if I think someone is nearby, I can drop a dart to check. It does not last as long and I can move back/away if I think someone is near.

Camo - I have some different camos, but as a sniper, I go with the basic issue camo, it seems the best to me.

Hope it helps!
  17. Kopulator

I'm definitely not an expert...However I would do a couple things.

Since you have the XM98...be mindful of the bulletdrop...it's severe. Also, you can get a single shot kill with it out to about 260 meters easily with practice. Also, in VR, use your personal WP to measure distance....TheYamiks has a good youtube video on this...so I won't recreate the wheel here.

Positioning: Avoid Skylines or places where you can be silhouetted, use camo that keeps you invisible when cloak does not. Cute.Beaver has some great videos on being invisible without cloak...She also has parkour videos that show how to get into positions one would not normally be able to...like trees. Additionally, try to choose a location where you can hide behind hard cover to minimize being spotted by the enemy.

Consider good sniping positions when reviewing the map and consider avoiding them. Remember that you will always have blind spots...so changing positions every few shots is necessary. Further, consider when changing positions, of choosing a position that leaves you a good shot on the position you were previously at. This way you can potentially kill anyone who tries to hunt you from a comfortable distance.

Further, avoid positions, when possible that expose you to ESF and ground vehicle kills. while you cannot always avoid ESFs...camo combined with changing positions often helps a lot.

Because I run into a large amount of counter snipers and other sniper hunters, usually with shotguns, I run nanoweave armor 5 and med kits and the parallax w/ super-cooled (straightbolt) attachment...For a sidearm I use the silenced NS-61, but if I had the certs, i would use a silenced cereberus. Even suppressed, this weapon is a 2 shot head-shot at close range. and 3 shots against a heavy with over-shield.

Again, I'm not an expert...but I hope people find this useful.
  18. kr47er

I dont think you're in a position to do such statement. br 10 people that joined the game last week know more about this game than you. oh, and dont need CONSTANT attention on the forum. jesus and why everytime you make a post you tell us your whole live?
    get friends.

see what I was talking about? jesus christ you will be proud of this. 27 sniper killstreak. nice. i'm not even nearly a top tier player and i have a 850+ sniper killstreak. trust me, this isn't much on this game. we laugh hard at your 27 kills.

are you kidding me? i've killed you several times in-game and EVERY SINGLE TIME you were camping, 70% of times in the spawnroom. you are a shame for vanu. go play nc it fits you better. oh, wait, you tried and you quitted with ********.victimised ****...