How to make construction epic

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, Jul 19, 2018.

1. adamts01

• Let construction interrupt a lattice line.
    • This is the key part. Introduce large buildings, similar to the generic buildings we have all around the map already. Even using those models we already have will work. Let the largest buildings include an interior capture point, of which there can be up to 3. Those buildings each need two smaller "support buildings" to activate the capture point, and all buildings should include a small no-build zone to keep the area from being impenetrable.
    • Let buildings be invincible until the base has been captured, and let other constructables be invincible until the base is ready to be fought over.
    • This won't replace small tactical bases, just be another option to strengthen a lattice line.
    The end goal is basically having a small city which yields a unique fight every time, which can't be won by bombardment and can't be sealed up like current bases. There could be a mini alert when a player-made base fight comes up, to get people to fight there.
    Bases could possibly just flip to the other faction once concurred, and continue to grow.
    Demigan had the idea of a layered type of base design in the past, similar to an onion, where the outer capture points had to be taken before the core of the base could be captured. This could be incorporated to make some pretty huge and epic fights, where the three outermost capture points had to be taken, then the three middle capture points, then lastly the three interior capture points. This monster construction could possibly be limited to the center of the map where 3-way fights are possible.
    It could be cool.
  2. FateJH

I can't wait to see a lattice lane jampacked by three-point constructed buildings stretching from one formal base to the next, and no one actually gets to make any progress.

And then, in chat, someone will write, "Why are there twenty capture points between Mao Southeast Gate and Howling Pass?"
  3. adamts01

There could obviously be a limit, say 3 layers per base, and only 1 PMB possible between each traditional base, but a massive urban continent would be pretty epic. I'd re-install and deal with the latency for that fight.
  4. Campagne

I really don't think forcing construction on people will make it any better no matter what you do with it.
  5. adamts01

This would essentially just be fighting in and around the same buildings we already have, just with a different layout and in a different place ever time. What's bad with breaking up the monotony? Plus with no-build areas around every building this would break up the bunker strategy that we've always seen, and which is probably the most broken thing that's never been able to be adjusted.
  6. JonnyMonroe

I think the idea is that if construction is done well then none construction players can drop into a pmb fight and treat it like any other fight. The pmb would still have spawn points, vehicle terminals, turrets and clear objective points. The pmb players will be responsible for building, repairing and running artillery and countering enemy artillery and everyone else does whatever part of combined arms they want.

There is obviously a lot of changes construction still needs to reach that point but that's why we have these discussions.
  7. Campagne

I can already imagine the lag from the huge number of objects in one place, and the total maze they could be. And all the exploits.

And then spam painspires and turrets all over. Wouldn't be all bad, but it's wouldn't be fun either. At least now I can choose not to fight in or at a PMB.

I think they would still very heavily favor the defenders and just become horrible slogs full of nothing but chokepoints. I'd rather just fight at a normal base and not deal with all that crap.

I do agree that a lot still has to be done though.