[Suggestion] How to increase use of the bounty system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Tanelorn

The popularity of bounties faded very quickly. I'm sure it was more due to trying out the "new thing" than anything else. It is very rare now to see a bounty in game. We have a whole directive tree on bounties and it's near impossible to complete even the first tier.

I think part of the reason is that bounties play a very very minor role in gameplay. And that has alot to do with their longevity: they have none. One kill and the bounty is claimed, in a game where the average life span is measured in seconds to minutes.

The solution: Bounties last for 3 kills. I guarantee that will increase the use of bounties. Why? For two reasons:

1. People place bounties to punish their killers. But everyone is going to die, and one death is meaningless to anyone (unless it's in an expensive vehicle). Making the bounty good for 3 kills has a greater effect on the person with a bounty, making it more appealing.

2. Longevity. Bounties will always be a minor component of the game, and only a small percentage of players will place them. Giving them a 3 kill longevity will significantly increase the chances of actually seeing a marked player, and spread the bounty hunter love.

The recent increase in XP value to bounties is not enough to improve the use of the system. People placing bounties have no expectation of claiming the bounty themselves, and getting a bounty kill is generally a lucky random event. If you make the bounty last on a character for multiple lives, it greatly increases the meaningfulness of the bounty to the bounty placer, the bounty reciever, and the bounty claimant.

P.S. Obviously a player's suicide / TKs should not affect the 3 lives count.
  2. Cyropaedia

• Up x 1
  3. Hegeteus

I can confirm that it's for 3 kills already. There is currently one person who has finished the directive, but it ended up costing him a ridiculous amount of money just for a re-skinned gun :rolleyes:

Also, somebody actually made an account called Bounty4You, spread bounties like santa claus on christmas and got banned for stat-padding(probably because he had 1000+ spm with 0 kills). All things considered, it's not a surprise that bounties are not popular
  4. Iridar51

Remove DBC cost, make bounties automatic in addition to / in place of "high threat / extreme menace" kills. Done.
  5. Tanelorn

wait, the patch notes say it is WORTH 3 kills. Does that mean it's 3x XP, or the bounty lasts for 3 kills?
  6. Eternaloptimist

OK if you like that sort of thing but I don't think a lot of people paid them any attention. I think I've seen no more than half a dozen on the EU servers (I play most days for an hour or two) and I've killed one unintentionally.....when he ran over an AI mine I placed somewhere.