[Suggestion] How to improve the Archer in 3 easy changes.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Azawarau

I realize im not the only archer user around but im one of the relatively few that use it as a main weapon and have experience with it as a main weapon

You literallt pointed out my archer usage as an example and when i use myself as an example you throw it out the window

Please take a moment and drop the chamber time idea so we can move on to something else that may be more productive

Its not something we agree on now but it can come up later
  2. Scr1nRusher

Would you agree on these changes:

• Can 1 shot all deployables
    • Now has access to the NS 3.4x scopes & NS 6x scope.
    • Velocity increased from 525 to 550.
  3. Azawarau

Id have to think about that

The issue with a non nanite thing 1 hitting deployables from a distance and having the ability to hide is its punishing and makes those things almost not viable as long as one player is on the watch in open areas

What if it did more like 80-90% damage?
  4. LodeTria

I assume he means stuff like ammo packs, shield bubbles & dildars.
    If the Deployable is able to been seen at a distance it should be 1hko'd for such bad placement.
    • Up x 2
  5. Azawarau

I thought he was talking more about engi deployables

If its that then it should do that already
  6. Scr1nRusher

But would you agree to those 3 changes?
  7. Azawarau

As long as engineer AV turrets arent a 1 hit kill it should be ok
  8. Scr1nRusher

So your afraid of the Archer being effective at killing targets is designated to kill?
  9. Demigan

He's afraid it will be too good at killing targets it's designed to kill. Buffing all flak weapons to OHK would make them extremely effective at killing aircraft, that doesn't mean it's good for the game.

The Archer is good at it's intended role, it's just too niche and needs some secondary roles without becoming an engineer-held sniper.
  10. Scr1nRusher

Then give it to the Infiltrator aswell.

Also how about these 3 changes:

11. Demigan

This is no solution, as the Engineer would still have access to an actual sniper rifle. The Engineer already has the most varied arsenal available with mines, turrets, carbines, shotguns, battle rifles and who knows what else available. No need to put a sniper in it if you can actually give the Archer other gimmicks to make it useful without overstepping the niche role it is created for.

I don't mind giving the Archer to the Infiltrator, I mind changing the archer to something it's not supposed to be.

1-shot deployables: It's an anti-material rifle, deployables are material, it should one-shot them at any range.
    Access to 3,4 and 6x scope: As I've said before, not a problem. It would become easier to handle in more close range situations without making it a sniper rifle.
    Velocity increase from 525 to 550: I see absolutely no reason for this. 25m/s is too small a change too notice, and as I've said before if you increase it too far then it would be too good as it would become great for sniping infantry other than MAX's at range which is just not the role of the Archer. The current velocity is good.
  12. Azawarau

I dont want it to be a punishing weapon

^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe one kit killing AV turrets wont be so bad but its a worrying thought
  13. Demigan

Yeah I was thinking about beacons and such, for turrets I think a 2-hit kill would be good enough.
  14. Azawarau

Its 2 hits at close range and 3 at a distance right now
  15. Mxiter

Higher velocity won't change its AI abilities since it's more it's damage output (2-3 shots 2-4 sec wich is huuge for an AI weapon) that is AI limiting factor for archer.

But higher velocity and lower damage degradation would makes it more effective for AA and AV maxes nest supression where atm archer is very poor (very long travel time and low damages. add to this medic/engie support and you're only feeding them support class)

It mostly shines against maxes between 25 and 70m.
    closer, the engineer dies faster than the archer reloads, farther, low velocity makes it quite hard to hit and high damage degradation makes it worthless.
    it"s semi-decent at AA and at deployable destruction
    and worthless against everything else.

we're not talking about an AI, AV or AA weapon, but an anti max weapon: a single class.
    Not sure that if anti-infiltrator,an anti-LA or even an anti HA primary weapon that is crap at everything else exists, people would be using it.

At current state, it would be more balance to be in utility slot (remplacing AI/AVturret) than a primary weapon, since it's average+ on it's main purpose and highly specialized weapon(understand crap an everything else).

It just falls into the lackuster skyguard deparment.

My suggestion would be:
    -don't touch it and put it in utility slot.

or

-reduce damage degradation+550-600m/s (makes it decent at longer range too)

more sight options would be welcome for different situation (no scopes over X6 btw)
  16. Azawarau

^Thats actually not a bad idea

Though let me tell you from experience that max suits will fear you before 25 meters as long as you have cover. Unless they have explosives with AoE than can reach you

Also theres no anit class specific weapon for other classes because they dont cost nanites and act as a vehicle with feet

Though HA is pretty much anti everything

*EDIT

After thinking about this

It might actually be bad since so many engis would carry the archer with them this way

It might actually need a nerf or something....
  17. LodeTria

Why would I take the archer over instagib tank mines?
  18. Azawarau

If it replaces explosives thats maybe not so bad

If it replaces turrets then there may be an issue
  19. Scr1nRusher

These set of changes are much much better:

And no it wouldn't make the Archer OP.
  20. Azawarau

Define deployables