[Suggestion] How to improve the Archer in 3 easy changes.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

1) Chamber time decreased from 2 seconds to 1 second

2) Velocity increased from 525 to 550

3) Now has access to the 3.4x & 4x scope options.

Thats all it takes DBG.

PS: also give the Infiltrator access to it
    • Up x 10
  2. LodeTria

Default scope is already 4x and it has access to another 4x as well.
  3. Scr1nRusher

Fair point.

On that note................

3) Give it the 3.4x scopes & the 6x scope.
  4. ParakeetLord88

I can support this, but realize cutting rechamber to 1s going to make the Archer significantly more dangerous versus infantry and it's going to murder engineer turrets. Still won't munch vehicles but you will notice an impact there too. It's also going to make it almost viable in cqc combat with a laser sight.

I don't see the velocity change making a real difference and I am not sure a 6x scope will matter either. As it is many people prefer to snipe with 4x, but, sure, it would be an option for some.
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

How to improve the Liberator in 3 easy ways:

1) reload time of all nose/belly/tail cannons decreased to 0
    2) increase of damage to OHK, give all weapons a large AOE similar to C4 (can hit tanks with it's AOE).
    3) increase ROF.

Just because you can improve something does not mean it should be done. The Archer is good for it's role: Anti-MAX weapon. It shouldn't have to get better.
    • Up x 7
  6. OldMaster80

I feel the same. The Archer is a niche weapon designed to support the team as Anti-Max rifle. And that's exactly what it does.
    • Up x 2
  7. eldarfalcongravtank

this should actually be the only change necessary. you know in the hands of an Infiltrator the Archer would actually be a viable firearm instead of being only a niche tool for the Engineer.

right now, when you choose to be an Engineer with Archer, you always need to hide behind your teammates in order to not get killed. because you know the Archer doesnt kill anything reliably except the stuff that only has a sliver of health left. even Maxes go hide after getting hit and get repaired instantly because months after the Archer's release Max players have adjusted their tactics to this new anti-Max rifle.
    other times, you are so far away from the action that you tickle armor/Maxes from afar and only receive assist kills at best. a guy once whispered to me in game chat "why are you wasting your time with this gun" and he's actually right. why stay behind doing semi-decent damage when i could be taking a Heavy Assault with rocketlauncher who is much more competent at killing armor/Maxes? also, Lancer > Archer for anything longrange-AV.

when the Archer was available on the Infil, this would change. Infil could infiltrate and intrude, change positions unnoticed, close in on key targets cloaked and kill them more reliably with the Archer. the tradeoff would be that Infil could not resupply ammo on his own, so his kill potential with the Archer would be limited... but he would still be more effective than Engineers. this is solid tradeoff, in my view, that is, take away unlimited ammo but allow hit-n-run tactics in combination with the anti-materiel rifle and cloak.

reference: 600+ kills with the Archer
    • Up x 1
  8. Mxiter

likes the Archer how it is.

My only depiction is low muzzle velocity and high damage degradation wich makes it finally average at best against long range AV/AA maxes.

But this would requires to increase aircraft resistance to it, since it would makes it way more deadly against ESFs.
  9. Jubikus

I didnt think the archer needed any buffs its a **** weapon that you bring out when its niche is needed and it does that niche well.
  10. Scr1nRusher

It just needs........

• A 1 second chamber time.
    • 25 m/s more velocity
    • Access to the 6x scope & 3.4x scope
    Really simple.
  11. Scr1nRusher

It actually fails at its job.

The velocity is not enough to be consistent against MAX's over long ranges.

The chamber time at 2 seconds allows MAX's to get away(or move out of the way) or even close the distance.
    • Up x 1
  12. Scr1nRusher

You are really acting like a baby over..........

Giving the Archer a 1 second chamber time, 25 m/s more velocity & 2 new scope(6x & 3.4x) options?

It fails at its role & as a weapon with a niche.
  13. Scr1nRusher

Both classes should have access to the weapon.
  14. Crayv

I wish it had a 1x to 6x and/or higher velocity (or just less drop).
  15. Lord_Avatar

Slightly higher velocity is all the Archer needs. Otherwise it's perfect and gets the job done.
  16. Scr1nRusher

The 2 second chamber time hurts the weapon.

Dropping it down to 1 second(same as the X-bow) would improve it.

Also it really should have access to the 6x scope & 3.4x scope.
  17. Demigan

Are you really acting like a baby over keeping the Archer with a 2 second chamber time, 25 m/s less velocity and no new scopes?

My point was that the Archer functions as it should from a development and gameplay perspective. There are lots of upgrades we could introduce, but these are not the one's necessary or warranted.
  18. Lord_Avatar

Of course it would improve it, I just don't think it's necessary. Also - considering the dropoff a 6x would be more of a gimmick than a useful tool, but it wouldn't hurt either I guess.
  19. Jubikus

The access to scopes i agree on 25 M/S on velocity seems so small that i probably wouldnt even notice a difference the 1 second re chamber time might be a little too punishing against maxes that arnt hiding in buildings but im willing to throw it on PTS and see if it is so or work to see if something inbetween 1-2 seconds is more appropriate.
  20. Scr1nRusher

Keep in mind all these changes would happen together.