How to hide this game from my dad?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shadownium, Mar 6, 2015.

1. JudgeNu

When I was 12 there was no PC's or Internet.
    My son was playing Duke3D at 10 yrs.
    He is in the Navy now.
  2. CriticalThinker

What kind of parents don't let their kids play games? That's so ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  3. TechMechMeds

This.

Playing conkers.

Pogs.

Trading cards of all types.

Yoyos

Playing army men with sticks and toy guns.

Good times.
  4. Maljas23

Pretty unusual situation these days.

When I was growing up(26 now), my parents let me play most games at the cost of good grades. I remember waiting for my mom to buy me a SWG game card so I could play for a month. My mom said she had ordered it, but I ended up having to wait 3-4 months for it even though my mom get the card within a week. The reason: She wanted to see my report card before giving me game time. Was a good lesson for me, for several different reasons.

My brother and I were really only restricted on playing high violence games like GTA(first one) and games where you are basically killing humans. We were only really restricted at a young age.

Anyway OP, I would try talking it out with your parents. I do not know how strict yours are, but mine would often bend the rules if I promised to show any form of sturdiness, control, or commitment when it comes to dealing with issues. Now, I am still an active gamer, but I also actively attend college, and I have well-paying job.

Finally, your parents do know best, but only to an extent. Don't let them just tell you that you can't play video games. Hound them to tell you WHY you can't play. Let them know that you need a reason. Sure it's their household, but that is no reason for you to not get a reason. I used to get in trouble all the time for asking "Why" but eventually my parents accepted that reasoning is a necessity.
  5. BobSanders123

I remember crusty sock.... When my parents came into the house I would put it on and pretend I was going to go outside.
  6. Foxirus

Alt + Tab can be used to quickly alternate between a program and another. However, The planetside 2 logo will still appear on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. You will need to have the task bar at the bottom auto hide itself. It sounds to me like your parents are not ignorant however and will probably see that you are trying to keep things out of sight. Eventually you WILL be caught playing the game. Prepare yourself for The Switch.
  7. BIllyGG

I see a lot of people saying: "You shouldn't play those games if your parent doesn't want you to"

**** Please! Everyone here has gone against what their parents have asked them more than once in their lives

Anyways, every kid should have free time after they've done their homework and read. Talk to your parents and hope they're not unreasonable.
  8. current1y

Parents look through your computer and bust in the door without knocking? I guess you could get caught jerkin off to gay **** and I'm pretty sure your parents will now knock anytime they want to enter in the future and not look through your computer because they are afraid of what they might find.
    • Up x 2
  9. CursoryRaptor

Oh man. I can't WAIT to hear the results of this kid's talk with his dad.

Hey kid! Let us know if he still says no. Make sure to give us all of his reasons and we'll give you a counter argument with linked reliable, scientific evidence that'll take his argument apart!
  10. Stigma

Hiding away and lying about what you are doing just isn't the answer. I don't know if your parents are just being totally unreasonable, but in any case having to look over your shoulder every 2 minutes just isn't a good way to live.

Ask your parents why exactly they have an issue with you playing. Make a deal with them that both sides can be happy with. If you are young - maybe "I will always do all of my homework before any gaming, but in return I get to spend my free-time as I choose afterwards without complaints". It might include helping with chores or whatever. Just ask them to be very specific about what they want from you and don't accept "do something productive with your time" as an answer. If you are an older NEET (not in education, employment or training) then your parents are probably just worried about your development and will lash out at whatever you spend your time on (no matter what that happens to be) because they are frustrated. In that case your deal probably involves at minimum getting a part-time job or finishing a degree or something of that nature. Be reasonable - and hopefully they will reciprocate.

Parents can be a pain in the *** sometimes, but in 99% of cases they are just trying to look out for you in their own (often somewhat misguided) ways. Get to the root of the problem rather than ignoring it, strike a deal, then live a happier life.

Of course, it's not too hard to hide a game on a computer if you really wanted to. Short of having your computer thoroughly searched I'd assume that just installing the game to some non-obvious folder, hiding away the shortcut from your desktop and then removing the uninstall-entry from the list of installed programs in control panel would do the trick. I just don't recommend that whole aproach...

Good luck man.
    -Stigma
  11. Marka Ragnos

“I am always doing things I can’t do. That is how I get to do them.” -Pablo Picasso
  12. RykerStruvian

Get a job, move out. Never look back. Love your parents without having to deal with your parents :)
  13. Ronin Oni

o_O

I did it too but NO regrets.

Well, maybe that one time I accidentally completely destroyed a Windows 3.1 trying to get DOS to work because a game required it.... and it was a computer from work....

yeah, that didn't go over to well :D
  14. Ronin Oni

I have a newborn daughter...

I 100% plan to use access to technology as both motivation and punishment.

I work in tech, and keep up on ****, so I should be able to keep ahead of her in the control game.

If she ever surpasses me... well hell, at least she'll have a solid career ahead of her in IT :D
    • Up x 2
  15. IronMouse

Be nice and listen to your parents.
  16. Kobult

One thing I can recommend is if you use steam, Stream the game to your laptop or somewhere that you're more "tactically placed" in a room. If you set it up properly you'll have an easy time closing the game, opening up something else, and just look like your working. For one he won't be expecting you to be playing a game such as Planetside on your laptop, I'm also certain when closing the game on the laptop won't close it on the desktop allowing you just start up the stream again and be where you were you left.
    Just please don't prioritize video games over school work. Use Planetside as a reward for yourself. As someone who's going through their last year in highschool, they're way too many nights that I regret playing when I should have been studying.
  17. FieldMarshall

Get an external HDD. I have run PS2 on a 4 year old external HDD before. Considering you can get external SSDs now, it should be no problem.
    PS2 wont show up in your parent's PC (unless they are really looking, but then you would have gotten caught anyway if they are that tech savvy), and you can hide your HDD wherever.

Or, you can talk to your parents, try to convince them that playing ps2 is a good idea.
    Maybe compromise with them. Give them something in return for letting you play ps2.

Depending on how old you are, you can move out and get a job if you can. Live your own life.
  18. hostilechild

Kind of feel the same way.
    My son is 16, as long as he continues his straight A's runs Track, plays soccer his gaming is unrestricted. He has learned when to study and when to game, kids need to learn it on their own sooner or later. You won't always be there for them (College?? haha lol).

My Girlfriend on the other hand, allows no gaming on school nights even though her son(15) gets Straight A's also. But he would game all the time if not, little addictive personality. He gets caught because of the yelling at the computer "TIP 1: Don't yell when you die/get owned" So she had me modify his pc to not allowing gaming outside friday/saturday night. To turn off at midnight etc. Then his friends explained some ways around it(google). So now it has wireless router restrictions time/ports etc.

Bet he wished he had one of those big red PANIC buttons(or hotkey) that would kill the task from memory (google how to make one) and launch a math study guide webpage. This is actually a lot of fun and educational at the same time.
  19. hostilechild

They make motion detectors that look like frogs and other "pet" animals or objects. Working at a university i have noticed a lot of Professors have them at their door/hallway entry. "haha i wonder why"!!

But if you can't hear it well, maybe go for one that you can hook a wire up to that puts a flashing LED over your monitor (or better wireless signal). Another fun learning project you can most likely google.
  20. Pointyguide2

interesting talk here.