How to hide this game from my dad?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shadownium, Mar 6, 2015.

1. DashRendar

I grew up in the 90s and most of my fond memories were playing Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter etc with my friends.
    • Up x 5
  2. KnightCole

LOL, I loved playing outside when my family lived on Fort Ord in California. Then we moved to AZ and about the only outside was me and my bro wandering the big field between our apartments and the housing complex behind it, otherwise it was city and town everywhere. We did find a red Katana wrapped in a sheet buried in the back...lol. But Fort Ord was awesome.
  3. Desann

Go to a friends house and play there. Someone who embraces youth gaming!

My parents used to get on me for gaming too much. In high school, I maintained A's, had a part time job, and worked out at the local gym. After all that, all I wanted to do was game it up! Screw parents man.
    • Up x 3
  4. Weterman

Lol just do something useful and fun if they don't let you play games. Code. Learn java or something, it can be fun, and if they don't know about coding then tell them its math if you think they'd get mad.
  5. Liewec123

well you can change icons and names for shortcuts on the desktop, you could:
    install the game in some bizarre folder (like microsoft paints folder or something)
    if you want a shortcut you could rename it "Notepad" and give it the icon of notepad.
    • Up x 1
  6. CNR4806

Can't help you hide when you're actively playing, but here's one advice:

Parents who go "NO YOU CAN'T PLAY GAMES FOREVER" are generally not tech-savvy. Just remove all shortcuts, remove the start menu folder and hide the installation folder and the chance of the game being found while you're not in control of the computer drops to practically zero.

Mix it with Liewec123's suggestion for maximum security. Install it in a bizarre folder AND set it to hidden.
    • Up x 2
  7. Rayden78

When i was 12 i remember playing Doom in the living room with speakers ;)
    And in LAN via Zero-Modem with my brother, but as both PC was beside each other, we both covered us with blankets over the monitor and ourselfes, so the other one cant look on your screen ... it was so hot under the blankets :D
  8. \m/SLAYER\m/

un-check "remember me" at launcher
  9. MajiinBuu

Don't wait until your older. You'll need to have a job to stay alive, and you'll never have time to play games.
    Unless your lucky and work at home ;)
  10. Anonynonymous

Errr, here's a thought. How about you just talk to your dad and hear his reason on why he won't allow you to play it? And try to convince him with sound arguments and reasons otherwise? Or is this all because that you're failing your academic works? If that's the case then he's right, you shouldn't be playing video games until you can get your grades up.

Either way, just freaken talk to him. No matter what kind of person he is, he provides for you. You need to at least respect him enough to not go behind his back on things.
  11. MadTavish

LoL at all these hypocrites that tell you to suck it up until 18.

First of all there were already some good suggestions of trying to talk it out with your parents.

If they are still unreasonable, then I would suggest setting entire steam or just Planetside 2 folder to hidden. Also obviously remove launcher from both desktop and start menu. Though you could rename the launcher to something else and also change the icon for it. I would also recommend turning off steam news/updates, so when you exit/terminate the game, that annoying steam window doesn't pop up. And while you are playing you can quickly terminate PS2 with Alt+F4, though depending on how good is your computer it might freeze up and take a moment (anywhere between few seconds). Finally I would recommend having some educational website or word document with something for school open in background.

Good luck kid, hope your folks will be reasonable.

EDIT: Also noticed the part about sneaking up. Easy, keep door partly closed (like halfway through), to prevent suspicion a closed door would create and also to give you at bare minimum some visual obstruction so you don't get spotted immideatly. Also depending on where you sit compared to the door, keep your ear clear on that side. I assume you use headset right? So just have headset on one ear and the other clear so you can hear your parents coming/sneaking up. Furthermore, I recommend lowering your ingame volume a bit to help with this. Too high volume can make it harder to hear people sneaking up on you, even when transmitted into one ear. Finally, just a nitpick, im not sure if it's possible, but since you will be using only one ear, disable stereo sound.
    • Up x 2
  12. Magma52

This is all part of the deal of life. You will soon be old enough to have yourself a job. As long as you have a job, your parents wont care what you do in your downtime.
  13. xboxerdude

Some of us are :p , and on subject, just install it into the games folder and remove shortcuts I guarantee they wont know the difference between some cheesy game that comes with the comp and the real deal.

Also enjoy life, you don't need a job to play video games, one can get a laptop live in a tent and use the public wifi at coffee-shops and libraries. Kind of my back up plan , I could be happy living like that :D
    • Up x 1
  14. P4nda

Oh man... I remember playing Global Operations whenever my parents left me home alone with my sisters babysitting me - I always ruined my brother's stats and had to do his chores to keep the secret from my parents for pretty much an entire year. I think I was 10, 11 at the time.

The only way around I had to playing that game was noticing the headlights pull into the driveway, and I'd just dump everything and shut it off as fast as possible. I was caught once but my parents never thought I was consistently playing it :D My very first M game.
  15. ReneM

Easy, buy really fast memory card or stick and install game and transfer files on it. Remember to take it out when not playing ;) Been there, done that, and were victorious!
    • Up x 1
  16. Izriul

Believe it or not, your dad actually knows best. You should respect his wishes since it's his house, and I expect he pays for the internet and when, not if, when you get caught, he may just take all that away from you.

I wish my parents were more strict when I was a kid, and while they were loving parents they didn't have a clue what I was up to. You can punish him by doing what he says and study, then get a decent job and do the whole breaking bad thing and buy his house, wait, I doubt you would have seen that :p

Did I do what I'm advising you to? Nope, that's exactly why I'm saying you should listen, but I'm sure you won't.
  17. MikeyGeeMan

I did it too.

Now I live in a Sunderer down by the River.

Eating a steady diet of government cheese....
  18. Hatesphere

true that, when I was a kid and my marks slipped my dad would physically take the modem with him to work so I couldent mess around playing diablo 1 online all the time.
  19. MikeyGeeMan

But seriously kid.

Man up.

Stand up.

Negotiate and compromise with calmness.

My folks I would say I want to do A.

They would give me the reaons not to...and I would negotiate...wah your grades might fall....then if my grades dipped i would agree to shut it off.

If they were worried about the violence explain that you know the difference and you enjoy the teamwork aspects of the game as well as your hoping to be one of the move vocal leaders . And being able to do that is really helping your tender self confidence.

They are your family and worry about you, and rightfully so. Give them reasons nit to worry about you.
  20. Corezer

We all know what you really want to learn to hide...

The trick is to understand you can make a maze of folders by setting the path of all but one to random other folders (if all wrong choices just lead back to the beginning they will click through them all)

basically you create a maze they can get lost in and frustrated if they don't know the correct sequence of folders.

you can also make half the choices hidden, remember you cant make just the correct ones hidden, and you cant make all the correct choices hidden or not, some choices can be "correct" as in they don't set u back, but rather just keep you going forward down a wrong path filled with choices that set them back so they have to waste tons of time figuring out how to get to a dead end, keep them guessing...

or you can get a girlfriend

nahh, even with a girlfriend, I still watched...

take my advice, kid, stroke long and prostate (not till you're older)