How to have more fun in PS2: What I learnt from a few months break.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wroth, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Wroth

Hello all,

So a while back I got massively burn out on planetside 2, and whatever I did, it felt like a chore. Whenever my faction took over a base or won an alert, I sighed, and logged off. It seemed like I could never get kills and, honestly, I raged. Hard. One time I got so annoyed that I painfully kicked to peices a Lego helicopter with my bare feet (ouch!).

I digress. I ended up quitting the game, spending some time in Nosgoth, CS:GO, and BF4. But part of me longed for the huge open battles that (sometimes) happen in PS2, and a week or so ago, I logged on again.
    This time, my mindset was NOT to be good, it was NOT to have a high K/D, it was to have fun. Yes, I didn't care how many times I died, or whether some random guy TK'ed me and didn't say sorry. Boo hoo, it doesn't matter! Sure, getting your MBT blown to smithereens by a BR10 is annoying, but it isn't anything to rage about.

Suddenly, I was having fun, and I decided to make some random loadouts (literally random as I used some roulette website to make them) and just f*cked around for a while having a great time.

And that is what made me enjoy PS2 again. I urge you to try a super wacky random loadout, and let your troubles be so far away.

BTW I just read this over and it sounds like a gay pride post, which is cool. :p

EDIT: BUY THE PHASESHIFT ITS FUN AND SPAMMY LIKE SPAM
    • Up x 1
  2. WeRelic

I didn't get that impression at all really.

OT:
    This game has so much more to offer than K/D and stats. I'm glad you were able to realize that. It makes the game so much more enjoyable once you stop sweating a bunch of pointless numbers. I still have to remind myself of this once in a while.
    • Up x 5
  3. RedArmy

i tried to quit once, took a two month hiatus, and im still here....
  4. TheFlamingLemon

I had phases of getting burned out for a couple months and then coming back for a bit until about a year ago I came back and once regular gameplay got boring, I decided to investigate the little tab with the circle and the star in the middle for the first time. Past BR 50, it's directives that keep me from burning out.
  5. Revel

I routinely quit and come back. The game just doesn't hold up well for long periods of time and the minor annoyances build up until you just stop playing. However, each time, it takes me longer and longer to return. Eventually I'll just click uninstall.
  6. Eternaloptimist

Maybe once a week or fortnight I think "I cba to log in tonight". That's all. But when I get jaded I do something wacky too - not random loadout but equipping with an unpopular or low grade weap. I was having fun with T16, EM1, Striker et al long before they got improved. BRs were another challenge I enjoyed for a while. I used Polaris too but I never found it to be as bad as some people said. It is now my go to weapon for VS HA.

I am currently trying to learn how to hit anything with a pistol. I am finding that only by playing stalker infil do I get the chance to even open fire most of the time and that is my current self-imposed challenge (strictly ES sidearms and preferably burst pistols, mind you).

There are so many dimensions to this game if you use a little imagination and are realistic about what your chances are.
  7. Crator

I've been playing Planetside since 2003. Of course I bounce around to other games every so often but still play PS2 on and off. Main thing that bugs me about PS2 lately is there is bad global pop imbalances.
  8. tijolo

Everyone might have a theory about why this game will never let some of us go. Brotip: uninstalling and even not playing for a few months will only make you have to re-download it again due to 'not having anything else to do' or 'lets see how the game is now' or 'ooh cool new update'. Face it, if this game had no bugs or other big problems it would be a ******* masterpiece. My theory is that we stay for the potential.
    • Up x 2
  9. KaletheQuick

It's a pretty boring game without friends to work with. On our own my crew is pretty meh, but combined we are MEH!

Even if we die and fail, it was fun to coordinate with friends.
  10. Taemien

Everyone I normally game with likes Planetside 2. They really do. But over half of them can't play it on a daily basis. Less than a quarter can even play it everyday for a week straight, including myself.

But that is probably due to the PVP aspect of it. Think about it if you've played other MMOs. Can you sit there and PVP day in and day out? I don't mean playing on a PVP server, cause there's always 'something else' you can do there. But I mean BattleGround, Trade Runs, Piracy, ect, depending on game just keep PVPing it out.

When you login to PS2, and you exit your warpgate, you've entered the ring. You are now a target, a hostile, and a threat to anyone not on your team. Playing at that level for extended periods is what causes the stress, the irritation, and frustration everyone experiences.

But why do we keep coming back? Because that initial thrill when you login and get into a fight. The adrenaline rush, the sense of competition, and the camaraderie of your team. PVP isn't a bad thing. But it can wear you down. Its high intensity. Once you realize that, and can space your playtime out a bit, the game becomes way more enjoyable.

One thing I recommend to players is to play other games in addition to PS2. You can't expect to have PS2 as your main game. You'll burn out. No one here has played non-stop for over a year. I sure as hell haven't. I've had days, weeks, and even months inbetween play sessions. And I still love the game.

As for fixing the PVP issue. It doesn't need to be. It is what it is. We have literally hundreds of games if not thousands we can veg out and play. PS2 is the unique one that it always gives you the high intensity competitive play right as you login as a MMOFPS. Nothing else compares, nothing else will ever compare.