How to get more kills/Improve Skill?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by HeadHuntr, Jun 4, 2013.

1. HeadHuntr

Do you guys have any tip on how to get more kills? In about an hour's session, I get only about 4 kills and about 10+ deaths! I know, it depends on 'preference' or 'style' but could you give a few helpful tips for me (and perhaps others viewing this thread as well)? I'd like to improve my K/D as well, ATM it's 20 Kills and 33 Deaths on my newest character so it's not that far from each other. I am not asking on how to farm, I'm asking on how to be an effective player that can gain a "moderate" amount of certs just by being light assault.

Any tips like: "Spend certs on this:" or "Save for this, and then THAT" is appreciated aswell.

Also, please don't say "Switch class! LA is suckish!!!" or anything that involves using another class.

Thanks!
  2. DCWarHound

Light assault is a flanking class,drop into a room,drop C4,kill 1 guy with rifle and jump back out of the door and onto the roof and blow C4 for people that run near the doorway.

Use areas where there are usually not many enemies and only kill one guy at a time,don't engage if your targets knows where you are.

Either use a shotgun if you are going to be flanking point blank or a gun with a high rate of fire coupled with a suppressor.
    • Up x 1
  3. Reskan

Well, you should start by choosing a weapon which will benefit whatever role you're trying to accomplish. Get a shotgun for close quarters, Jaguar/Lynx or the Hailstorm for close to medium ranges, or get the AMC for medium-long ranges. You can't really have a weapon designed for general use, so pick one that excels at the range you prefer to engage in. You should also upgrade your Jumpjets/Drifters so you can benefit from them even more, and get some C4.

Though I think the best advice to make you survive a little longer is to never stop moving and never walk on the ground. Always try to put yourself in a position where you have the advantage in a fight. Flank and ambush as much as possible and don't try to engage targets who are shooting at you. The Light Assault is very hard to kill when played right since they posses superior mobility compared to the other classes, so if you keep moving around you will die less than you often would.
    • Up x 1
  4. simmi1717

If you play NC, then I can actually teach you how to play LA in game that will bring your KDR to above 1 and will get your score 50 points higher. If you don't play NC, then let me post these videos for you by LA veteran players that taught me a few things too.

This next guide might be outdated a little.

This last one shows the power of LA class. This guy makes excellent montages.

None of the above videos are created by me.
    • Up x 1
  5. Makwa

First by far I am still no expert but what I know

A Light Assault that isnt moving is a dead Light Assault.
    Take one down and get out of there. Come back a different direction if you have to have more.
    No engagement should last longer than 2 seconds. If it is going to be longer move on somewhere else.
    If they are looking at you while you are shooting them you are doing it wrong.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bersigil

• Up x 1
  7. Corezer

Switch class...when you need to.

There are times when you don't want to use la. Even engies can at least spawn cover, so if you can't think of a good way to use your jet pack in a certain situation, grab your heavy or medic.

Get radar and vehicle stealth on your flash. Park by door or corner, shoot guys, when they all come swarming and you see a million pursuing dots rounding the corner, blow up the c4 you dropped in the seat.

Get a shotgun, whichever you prefer.when they're good they're great just don't be afraid to switch
    • Up x 1
  8. Corezer

Enemy ammo packs are usable.

Get jj6

Get med packs

Get c4

Don't over extend.surviving is more important than chasing the one that got away, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
    • Up x 1
  9. Wolfwood82

Get an automatic shotgun.

It shouldn't become your primary weapon, but using it will teach you how to better move and ambush targets. It's a way of training you to avoid enemies at even short ranges and promotes a more CQC oriented play style especially when first learning how to use the class. By limiting your engagement range, you force yourself to think differently. It's a major step towards becoming a deadly LA rather then a pathetic one.

Once you feel like you've learned all there is to know about evading enemies at range, go back to carbines and work with the Trac-5 S with UB attachments. Possibly the best gun a LA can use since it can utilize weapons for all ranges/situations and is fairly easy to handle.

A trick I picked up was equip flash grenades on your medium range load out (especially after picking up the Trac-5 S). This gives you a major advantage in those situations where you have to engage an enemy in the open without cover, a quick toss and jump to avoid reactive shots, let it go off and then take him out while he's helpless.

It's also handy in biolabs where you end up in fights for rooftop control, tossing a nade into enemy controlled areas before sniping them will improve your longevity.
    • Up x 1
  10. Badname3073

I wrote a brief guide for novice LAs, it should be somewhere in the LA discussion
    • Up x 1
  11. HeadHuntr

I watch his vids, saw all his infantry tutorials and kinds helped.

My latest session, I got my K/D up a little, from 20K 33D to 43 K 57D!
  12. Withnail

Stay off the ground as much as possible... Trees, cliff edges and roof tops are your friends.
  13. Withnail

And like Corezer said, switch classes when the situation demands it. LA is pretty much useless in a massive open terrain battle between bases, where there is no high ground you can use and abuse.
  14. Mythicrose12

Just like to add, be smart about choosing your target. Just because you're unnoticed in a tree (for example), it may hinder you to shoot that first oblivious person that runs below you.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ohforsake

Well. Just start playing and walk around on a battlefield for 2 minutes, let's say a bio lab.

Then retrace your movement, and where you actually expected someone to be, and try to remember where you saw most of your allies. Now, try to put yourself into the position of someone wanting to kill you and your allies. Where would he hide or where would he move around?

Thinking like this made me way more effective as a light assault.

Use terrain to your advantage, fly from ledge to ledge, but never in plain sight, cert out your jump jets or drifter jets (depends on play style preference). Keep height advantages to your enemies, and make sure you can't be ambushed from behind. Also, IMO, silencers are a must, and staying longer as a few kills at the same spot is a no-go.
  16. DCWarHound

If you're going with shotgun then you can also bait people,run around a corner and hit them in the *** when they come around.A Max will also follow you around a corner if you put C4 around the corner and let another enemy in first.play cat and mouse with the first enemy until the max comes in.Blow the C4 when the max is in and blow the guy chasing you's face off.
    • Up x 1
  17. Makwa

This is one of my favorite games with Maxes. Usually it only takes one bullet to get them to run after you.
  18. Rarg

1. Always know where your enemy is concentrated with their majority of their forces.

2. Know that they have guys flanking just like you.

3. Stay high and hidden. Your jump jets can help you greatly and get you killed just as easily. Always know from what angles you can be seen and not seen from when moving in 360 degrees. You have to use cunning and quickness as you can't just vanish or shield. Unlike Engies and Medics, you often won't have much in the way of close support unless you have fellow LA's with you.

4. Always know where the ammo boxes are.

5. Call out targets as much as possible. If you're not in a good position to mark them without being detected, then use voice chat to roughly give out the enemies locations. I spend a good portion of time scouting before I make my move.

Pick a range you are most comfortable fighting at. If you're close range-oriented, then you rely even more on speed to cover the distance to your targets. When flanking in battles outside of bases as a close range LA, you have to remain out of sight until you can close the distance. Don't be afraid to take extra time to go an extra few hundred meters or more to avoid being detected before you've completed your maneuver. Shotguns are fairly limited outside of bases or situational terrain where enemies end up bottle necked. However if you focus on ambushing their Infiltrators and other flanking parties using folds in topography and whatever cover you can find. Speed is your absolute first priority as a close range LA, never stop moving and keeping your enemies guessing. Never attack head on or on even terrain with your target unless you have to. Disengage and reattempt your maneuver if you are spotted. If you are detected by other LA's, lose their line of sight and then attempt to flank them.

If you're more of a medium range player like myself, than a lot of the same principles apply. You must stay hidden and move quick, but staying hidden is more a priority than moving quick. You will want to take higher ground with adequate cover, but not too far from your target. My experience with the ACX-11 has told me that the best firing angle is roughly 20-40m's at a 45 degree angle, aimed so the projectile trajectory goes through the top of their head at a downward angle. Any medium range carbine will perform well with this method. Kill one, hide, and then change your angle of attack but keep the same distance and angle if possible.

Always aim for the head and always go for targets that are standing still over moving ones. Pick out enemies that are on the fringes first as it's less likely to garner you attention than shooting enemies directly in the main group. Picking off stationary targets not standing next to 5-6 enemies reduces the chance of you hitting them too, and multiple guys getting hit from the same direction will make them respond. If you aren't 90% sure you can kill them before they can react, check your options again. If you are detected by enemy LA's, kill them on their approach or outgun them at long range. If they get too close, lose them and attempt to bait them into C4 or retreat for a second and catch them leaving or camping waiting for you.

As far as other classes go...

Against Heavies,Medics,Engis- Fairly similar classes for the most part if engaged as infantry. Engies on their turrets are easily flanked without spatially aware support. Medics can usually be picked off as they hang back just behind the HA's and Maxes and such and you will be flanking them first most likely. If you're longer range, you'll find Engies on turrets to be basically free kills and Medics reviving their friends much the same. Heavies are different slightly. As a close range LA, you have to get the jump on them and kill them before they react. If you can't kill them within that time, try something else or wait. If you're good with a shotgun, nobody should be getting to retaliate much against you, especially in confined areas. Shotguns are not hard to be good with, so it all comes down to your maneuvering and ambush skills.

Against heavies as a longer range LA, it's harder. They will usually beat you in a straight up fire fight barring you getting consistent headshots. They can usually retreat if you don't kill them fast at long range as you don't have the ability to basically shotgun assassin them. The trick I've found is to wait till they're reloading or recovering their shield or taking cover,ect. Especially when they are firing at something else. If they are already damaged/being damaged, it's unlikely they'll get away. You should be able to choose your targets at will if you've chosen a good spot. The faction banner tower in the smaller bases is good, as is any building with raised corners and wide ledges. I've also gotten a ton of kills in the gap in the pillars at the top of the center tower inside biolabs. Any cover that has the ability to alter the angle of your cover/target aquisition is ideal. This means you can make it seem like you left your spot, when you just moved a bit to see a totally different section of battlefield for a minute.

Against Infiltrators- If you find them first, hunt them down from the side or back, take a wide route. If they see you, lose line of sight, wait a few minutes, then gradually work your way over while using cover. With the ACX, I can usually beat them even at long range if I see them first, by the time they target me, breathe and fire, i got 3 headshots on them. I wouldn't recommend attempting this with too many guns tho as if you miss or they're just quicker than you expect, you will die.

Maxes- Always come straight over them and behind. If they're moving away from you quickly, forget them. Otherwise, just anticipate them and let them seal their own fate. If you have drifters, you can actually chase them.
  19. tZonkD

Heres some basic things worth mentioning. Most of you have likely taken care of this long ago, but still it may help someone.

Begin by making sure you have decent game performance from your computer's side.

Make sure you get a fairly consistent framerate (alt-f), preferably above 30. If its way lower then this, start turning things off/down; some google-fu will give you a pile of tutorials on the what's and how's of ps2 performance tuning. One important note though, If your render speed all over the place, add
    in your UserOptions.ini in the [Rendering] section. rReplace 30 with whatever seem to be a framerate you can achieve most times. The reason for this is a consistently low render speed is far more possible to compensate for than one that shifts wildly.

Spend some time finding the right mouse sensitivity for you, some overlook this but its fairly important IMO. Don't forget that ps2 has different sensitivity for vehicles, zoom and so on (personally i want all of those at the same level)

Make sure your keys are set up in a comfy way. For example knife defaults to MMB irc - for me thats very clumsy so i rebound that (among things). You should go over the control settings and rebind all your favorite actions to keats close to wasd or mouse buttons for easy access.

In game i find LA most useful in close quarters combat; towers, biolabs and such. Its also a great class if your Squad lead as it allows you to place your spawn beacon in hidden/hard to get to places.

I would recommend saving up the 250 certs needed for the cheap-o-shotty; its well worth it. Save another 100 to slap a extended magazine on it and you have a potent CQC tool.

Set up and get used to switching different loadouts. Make one using the default carbine and one with your shotty. Only pull the shotgun one when you know you will be fighting at close range. Consider upgrading your default gun with f-grip (for ADS) or laser (for hipfire) All the default carbines are quite potent weapons and well worth putting some certs in IMO.

Get used to the knife, making contact with a single swipe depletes an enemy's shield. One more (or a blast from the shotgun) kills it. If you ht knife just before fire you knife-shoot if very rapid succession making its TTK almost as fast as a pumpaction shotgun.

If you're not in one allready, get into a outfit and play along with your new buddies. As you get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses you'll become more effective together than any single one of you by themselves could be.

And lastly don't be afraid to play other classes too, put some certs into medic & engi tool will, for example, provide you with three more options to earn certs; repair / heal / revive (well you can even w/o upgrades.. but 2-3 levels in those tools make a huge difference at low cost)
  20. Kcalehc

Personally: when sneaking up on an unawares enemy, in a crowded area, a silenced pistol headshot (or two) then a follow up knife swipe will get you a kill, and their friends will be none the wiser.
    I've taken out groups of snipers on hills, doing just this, sneak up behind, take then one at a time, the rest stayed scoped while I took out their buddies silently. Just remember, to figure out where they are, look on your map (drop a waypoint if needed) then go the long way around, and come in from behind.