How to 'fix' the NC MAX

Discussion in 'MAX' started by -Synapse-, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Revanmug

Possible but considering we are comparing tanks to the vanguard, it's easy to realise the connection.
  2. Dreadnaught Wrex

Nah. My issue is that right now, a NC MAX has dual jack hammers while the TR MAX has a single mini gatling gun and VS MAXes have what? a slightly faster firing LMG?
  3. Syphers

Irrelevant to the MAX which is what we're talking about here.

Btw the infantry weapons have the same accuracy they just deal more dmg at the expense of a higher recoil which is still quite easy to handle, every weapons deal more dmg at close range.
  4. TintaBux

They won't stop whining, the only thing NC have in their favour (Being by far the worse faction overall) they want nerfed, so NC won't have anything decent that's unique.
  5. Jaes

This is a non issue thread. NC Max uses shotguns for crying out loud. If you're within 5m, you're toast. If you're within 10m you may or may not win. Anything beyond 10m and the NC max completely falls apart. This same kind of thread over and over is pointless. The Maxes are fine as they are with the TR/VS Maxes being far more versatile than the NC Max which is only designed for CQC fighting.
  6. NucNuc

T
    As I said, no need to nerf the scatmaxes (especially without making them gimped , a thing which is really hard to accomplish).

They are strong, and should stay so.

After reading this thread i logged in my NC char today as i did on my VS char and played with maxes. My Scatmax is without resists and without extraammo. My Cosmomax is with full resists.
    Still, i have the feeling that I handle the Scatmax better:
    Even had this situation I talked about at TI Alloy. TR max repped by his engi sits upstairs and kills everything that enters the door on 20-25 meter distance. Here TR and VS Maxes have an advantage. I succeeded to kill things even in 15 meter distance (proofed the distance afterwards). After a while I think, my friend (the TR Max), i will kill you now, I charge up to him, being shot at from a some infantryweapons and him, pump the enemy Max with lead: He dies, I die soon after because i had to reload. Otherwise I could kill 2 further people... Oh, and soon after my men are charging in after me and killing everything that is left.

Thats why I would like to apply a no shoot timer after the use of charge or dismiss it completly.

Otherwise I had some nice runs. It is simply winwin when an enemy comes around the corner, you see the panic in the eyes and then: bam bam...dead. It is fun. maxes should be fun! Scattermax is fun!

Had a few rund with my VS MAX afterwards. While funny, problem i often have is, running around the corner: A HEAVY (rarely a rare sight in heavyside2) at 10 meters. pewpewpew.. damn shield, damn hitregistration (never had this on my scatmax, hackmax maybe different, dunno), he has time to react, jumps jumps jumps (need be nerfed this hopping) switches to rocketlauncher and shoots it in my face... I kill him, but here i already lost half my life.That wouldnt happen with a NC Max

TL:DR
    Because of that, I hope for a buff on the resists a VS or TR Max has. So we actually CAN apply our dps without leaving us crippled.

As people say, NC maxes playfield is narrow, believe me, VS and TR playfields are narrow also.
  7. NucNuc

signed
  8. Kedric

The solution is obvious: make TR and VS makes one-hit-kill at the 20-30 meter range, and do ****** damage everywhere else.
  9. SinerAthin

That would be a subjective assessment of something that is not inherently true, but possible.

Details are very important. Skipping them is never a good thing unless you're playing the Devil's Lawyer :p
  10. Deathcapt

O.k. so here's the META balance. You HAD to run into their guys to be effective, thus leading to your instant death. Sure you killed 1 MAX maybe a couple guys if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you get killed before you can drop their MAX. Either way, your corpse is surrounded by enemies, and their corpse is surrounded by medics that are already picking them up. Mean while, The VS MAX is sitting next to hit engie, massacring softies at upwards of 25m, with 3 engies safely repairing him.

The NC MAX is high risk, high reward, a Good charge with back-up can break a siege. A bad charge, and you're instantly dead with no progress made, at best you neutralize a MAX for a couple seconds. The VS and TR MAXs are MUCH better at suppressing, and slowing pushing forwards. Additionally, they are MUCH better at open field combat. Yes the NC MAX is Really good at biolabs. But they're totally useless everywhere else. Anywhere with Open terrain they're useless. Amp Stations, they're terrible, tech plants, they're good for crashing the doors, but you can do that with tanks and LAs.
    • Up x 1
  11. NucNuc

Open terrain all MAXes are useless... open terrain is Armor- or Heavyside.
    But, well, I give up, if people think that Maxes are equally balanced in their division...well ok.
    Let´s wait for the Maxrevamp and official numbers.

I still hope there will be no nerfs for scatmaxes... thanks for seeing it from both sides.
  12. TintaBux

At medium range though VS/TR max owns the NC max, at close range obviously NC max owns them both. If you play TR/VS max correctly you own NC scatt maxes ,the problem is most people don't, they just run into the face of them.
  13. evansra

Here is my story.

I have a dual hacksaw max atm(over 100 kills) dont have the 1000 :eek: certs to get extended mags and i can kill 1-2 inf at a time, yes its an insta pop for the first guy but hey i normaly die during reload.

I have never killed a max in one clip ever.

Before people start saying LTP i admit i am not the best and suffer from poor fps in the situations i use a scat.

Overall i think people who dont use them imagine some super flack wall that never ends...
  14. Squigzy

I suppose it must be said, there are different ways to shoot at things.

1. Burst damage (NC MAX Theoretically)
    The benefit of burst damage is the ability to be uncounterable (for the duration of the damage) but it is typically a combination of High DPS (Damage per Second) but low DPM (Damage per magazine) meaning that you empty a magazine very quickly on a few targets and take them out, but suffer in engagements that require a reload (As it takes longer to reload Hacksaws than to fire them). In Planetside 2 it is also safe to say that engagement range (ER) also suffers with Burst Damage as Accuracy tends to suffer heavily.

2. Sustained Damage (TR MAX Theoretically)
    Sustained damage is typically low DPS but high DPM which means you can fire for a longer duration and suppress a hallway (LMGs for example). Accuracy typically suffers for Sustained Damage. The chief benefit is suppression and sustained DPS with a large magazine, the drawback is the low burst damage so targets have a chance to escape, regenerate, etc.

3. Accurate Fire (VS MAX Theoretically)
    Accurate Fire is typically the middle of the road on DPS and DPS, with magazines larger than that of Burst damage and DPS being about the same as the Sustained Damage, but its tradeoff is that it fires accurately and thus the engagement range is increased, meaning you can engage targets at longer ranges.

Summary:
    Burst Damage: +DPS, -DPM, -ER
    Sustained Damage: -DPS, +DPM, ER
    Accurate Fire: DPS, -DPM, +ER

It also provides a CQC, Mid-Range, and Long-Range variant to everything. You obviously have Splash Damage in there that can fit as an added bonus to any of the fire-modes, but in this game it pretty well fits into these 3.

There are benefits and drawbacks as you can see. For example, most important bases have a large CQC section integral to taking the base itself, and most points are within CQC effective range (or the gap can be easily closed). So when the NC MAX does do well, it is near an important objective.

The VS and TR MAX will be outshined in the NC MAX's ability to burst down their MAX's with hacksaws, but the lack of sustainability often leaves the NC MAX open (after the TR/VS MAX is dead) meaning that the NC MAX gets mowed down shortly after if they did charge, though most NC MAX's act defensively and draw enemies into their effective range.

For the sake of balance and faction specialty it seems to make more sense that the TR would get automatic shotguns, and NC would get more powerful Semi-Automatic, or Burst shotguns (Like the Jackhammer but.. usable) while the VS would get something akin to an SMG for CQC. This would provide a CQC variant for all MAXs. With that, the NC would have to have a Large Caliber Machinegun added to their Mid-Range selection, or a Burst-Fire Rifle Variant (High Damage, High Recoil, Low ROF),

So if you want to "Fix MAX balance" in general, you end up giving the NC something that would likely start to reak havoc on infantry in a way they currently have no way of doing.

If nothing else, just my observation.

End Note: I have used Duel Hacksaws without an extended clip. Yes with both you can take down an enemy MAX in one clip (from both) if all the pellets hit.
  15. centurionvi

The only way a VS/TR MAX will "own" an NC MAX is if he's standing afk in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise he'll simply walk behind a wall, or a rock, or a tree, or a barricade, or one of the thousands of random objects scattered all over the place and no one is owning anything.
  16. Eric Smith

That's BS too. Yesterday i faced off my dual Mercy Max against an NC Max in a BioLab at what must have been 20 or 25m. The SOB had Slugs and pretty much instagibbed me. Sure, he started firing and out of his first 3-4 shots he only landed one, so I wasn't really worried, then all of a sudden he landed every slug all at once and I was dead. So much for the TR max having a massive advantage at range... maybe the guy got lucky with his slugs, bit I've seen them being used more and more to get that range and they hurt like hell. The fact that NC can dump 14-20 shotgun shells in about 2-3 seconds then back off to reload is pretty nasty in and of itself, but then you add in that there's no way of knowing if the guy has slugs or not, and the fact that they can instagib you close up, and the fact that slugs can pretty much instagib if they manage to land the shots... well whatever. I'm really sick about hearing about how the NC Maxes have no range when slugs give them plenty of range with some pretty nasty damage and DPS.
  17. TintaBux

I own NC max with both VS/TR maxes and I seen it many times, even tonight loads, trick is not get in their face step back a little, simple, make it sound like the other maxes can't kill it, just most people run in it's face and die.
  18. Purg

Oh gawd. Here we go again.

Having used slugs almost exclusively in my Scattercannon and Mattock, I'm calling shenanigans on that one. I can't instagib a MAX with slugs at any range.
  19. Eric Smith

If you say so. I had it happen to me. Admittedly I was slightly damaged at the beginning of the engagement, but I took over 70% damage at 20-25m from one load of slugs - no reload, no time to react. I went from "not worried" to dead in less time than it took me to realize the guy was using slugs, in the ~2 seconds it took for him to unload his magazines. And, like I said, maybe he got lucky with his slugs landing, but I know damn well what happened to me in that incident and how much damage was delivered by the Max I was facing off with.
  20. Purg

I've unloaded Dual Mattocks at less than 5m, hit every shot with extended magazines and have been unable to take down a TR MAX with it on a number of occasions - and on a few of those encounters, the TR MAX defeated me as I had no charge. If I can't do it at 5m, I doubt he was capable of doing it at 20m given the damage drop off slugs have.

If there's a TR or VS MAX in close proximity when I have slugs, I either call on a teammate to finish him off or I avoid it. If it's at range, I'll just pepper it so nearby infantry can finish it off. Very rarely have I killed one at 25m.