[Suggestion] How to fix the MAX

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZenitHMaster, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ZenitHMaster

STEP 1: Change base movement speed to 50% less of what it is now.
    STEP 2: Make the charge ability make the max at its current faster movement speed as well as the usual benifit.

Now, don't you guys think that the max should be a more defensive class? I mean if you want to kill a sunderer, you need to get off your *** and be brave enough to walk in as a heavy and not a max. ZOE can be buffed more and be less OP as it will still have a small speed increase, but not be a freaking zerg machine, more of a clear the room of attackers a little faster machine.

Lockdown maxes could be a little more specialized, as they will move slow and only be very useful deployed.

NC maxes with sheild will FINALLY BE SLOWER.

What you guys think?
    • Up x 1
  2. Arsonix

A max thread not about fixing the VS max? No thnx. I like C4ing zerg maxes. Mainly because there is always 1 or 2 engies hugging them to pad my stats.
    • Up x 1
  3. DHT#

I don't see how this fixes the MAX. It makes it seem significantly worse, actually.
    • Up x 3
  4. Atis

Already suggested that here and there, but I really doubt that Higby will trade dynamic fights for balance.
  5. TheKhopesh

The NC Aegis shield is already bugged, and anyone with a rocket launcher can bypass it for the most part.

If you fire at the feet, the splash damage will pass through the shield and do a good 80% of the rocket's direct hit damage to the max regardless of having no direct angle past the shield.

The shield needs to encompass the max' front half like a forward facing dome.
    With the shield biting into the ground a few inches, that will negate the splash that doesn't have shield between it under the gap by the feet or being fired by the max' sides to bypass it's unshielded areas.
    And I don't mean an actual dome, just angled "panels" protruding from the existing shield model that give the body 180 degrees of cover, protecting the forward facing area.

Without proper coverage, the shield only serves to slow the max while in use and leave it exposed to all explosives with splash damage.
    The only time you'll see it used are against aircraft who cannot aim that accurately from that distance and speed, and AP vehicles.

In all other situations the shield is more of a detriment compared to the sprint ability.
    • Up x 3
  6. Demigan

You only play AGAINST MAXes I assume?

MAXes are already pretty much sitting ducks. They need constant team support to be effective. Without it they can handle perhaps 2 or 3 guys one after the other and that's it, if it's not a C4 fairy coming to blow you away. Why is that bad? Well, the other players are using FREE characters, you just payed through the nose to get your MAX.

That said, as team weapons to break open a stalemate they are pretty good. They do fail these often though... because they are too slow. you want to hack off 50% more? You want to make the ZOE even more useless than it is now? It's not OP right now.
    As said, the shield ability has relatively little use compared to the charge ability. I can imagine players unloading entire magazines into a shield and the frustration of not hitting your target build up, but that's the whole point of the shield.
  7. Dracorean

MAX's are the most faction specific unit in the game, with the only similarities being they all use bursters, and charge ability. Everything else relies on synergistic specific play styles that give a MAX its strengths and weaknesses. However all MAX's have the same drawback as being less effective when unsupported by a medic or engineer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the effectiveness of the faction's MAX units (Aside from not being able to turn off the zealot ability but guess its sort of fits the description of 'zealot').

A MAX unit is mainly used as a defensive unit in its own right, being aggressive gets more and more risky however quite rewarding when pulled off. Weapons are mainly designed for closer ranged engagements with slight quirks to aid in longer ranged combat. Their abilities are also quite defensive as well however they can be rather versatile in given situations.
  8. Frosty The Pyro

so esentialy you want to ad a passive 50% speed nerf to all the faction abilities? All that will acomplish is make lockdown the only viable faction ability, and as charge is already competitive with all the faction abilities.

Moreover this wont fix anything, you havnt identified a problem that this would be fixing, because I certainly cant see the issue this is trying to address.
    • Up x 1
  9. Alan Kalane

HELL NO
    Maxes are currently one of the most ballanced things in PS2. They do good job cleaning out rooms crowded with infantry and that's it. They constantly require an Engi to fix them,cost lots of resources and a single hit from a rocket takes out about 75% of their health (C4 kills them instantly) which means that they are quite easy to counter if you play HA or LA.

Side Note: I RARELY play MAXes in this game (Biolabs only I guess) and I never invested a single cert into them so you can't accuse me of being a MAX player :D
  10. DorianOmega

All of this.... although NC shields would still work fine since they are mostly beneficial in CqC as it is, the VS zoe on the other hand would be useless if this was implemented, like what would even be the point of zoe after this? VS max's would only ever use charge...
  11. Frosty The Pyro

Naw the sheild is in no way worth going half speed all the time, sheild is used for breach and retreat, thats a motion thing. Lockdown only pulls it off because firepower is king and its already exchanging all of its moiblity for that firepower. you find an elevated position, lock down, and rain pounders on whatever is unfortunate enouph to be in your line of site.
  12. Archiadus

If that happens I'd be fine with moving 50% slower.
  13. Rhumald

I used to love the shield, but half the time full damage, even just from bullets hitting the shield, will transfer through it to your max, making the shield utterly useless. I still run it, because I like the thought of it, but I agree, it's mostly useless.
    • Up x 1
  14. TheKhopesh

Ah, I'm not surprised.

The shield is pretty buggy.

I actually don't think small arms should drain energy from the Aegis shield.
    I think it should be the same armor type as heavy armor (Lightnings, MBT's, Liberators, and Galaxies).

With it's own set of resistances, but it'd only be susceptible to weapons that would damage heavy vehicles.
    (AI prox. mines and standard grenades don't do damage to heavy armor, but I do think they should be the exception to this, and damage the Aegis shield.)
    That would make it well worth the snail movement speed and inability to defend yourself while it's active.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ryker

What the nc max needs is a tank buster on each arm while the agies sheild pops from the chest allowing the max to shoot while its active. Oh and double the hp cuz c4 op as higby.

Oh and nerf the vs max cause screw those guys.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kalivix

What the NC MAX needs is a heavy machine gun so it has a range of more than 5m, I don't even use the damn think as its so worthless, I get more kills playing a medic than our MAX. And PLEASE don't start with that "fastest TTK" rubbish... at 0m its fastest yes but even then only by a tiny tiny amount, I've been pretty much instantly murdered by both TR and VS MAXs at close range, the difference is they can shoot you from further away as well.

And seriously.. you want our shield you can have it, it doesn't work against rockets most of the time and just makes you a huge C4 target as even if you watch them throw it at your feet by the time you put away the shield so your fast enough to escape you're already dead.
  17. Rhumald

I'm stealing this.