How to counter VS alert domination?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CompletelyDeadCoyote, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Goretzu

In the context of Miller though the numbers show that the VS would need to be winning every single off-peak alert (which they don't) for on-peak or near-peak alert wins to be remotely balanced. So on Miller the VS just win more alerts no matter the time of day.

In a general all-server sense VS "only" win 40.2% of alerts so it is possible they could be even on & near-peak IF they won every off-peak alert on every server (although on 1 server TR actually dominate).
  2. Nody

We are talking about going from winning 33% of alerts to 40% or a 7% unit increase. That means if we assume peak hours is 6h a day with 3 alerts (one started before peak, one finishing after peak, each side wins 1 alert every night) and let's say another 6 alerts for the rest of the day we'd talk about winning 1 more off time alert a day for the difference to be accounted for. That is no were near as close to winning every offtime alert as you claim esp. as Asians apparently prefer VS (this is only hearsay based on other threads were people were complaining about it 50% off time VS pop due to Asian population).
  3. Goretzu

33.3% to 46.9% on Miller (in the context of all servers it's 40.2%, but then one server is TR dominated skewing the results if you try to average it that way).

When you look at Miller it is usually at 50%+ of its peak population for at least 9 hours a day (and can be as long as 12+ hours) and at 33%+ of its peak population for more than 12 hours a day (and can be as long as 17+ hours). Certainly anything at 50%+ of its peak population has to be "counted" in alert victories or otherwise there's just plain ridiculous selection bias involved.

Also as mentioned VS doesn't win 100% of off-peak alerts on Miller.
  4. Vaphell

When it's largely inseparable from balance and when the outcomes are effectively biased at the end of the day, it's a rose by any other name and splitting hairs over vocabulary is unproductive.
    • Up x 1
  5. Antillie

The VS are very annoying to fight against. This is because most of the people who are really good at PS2 who want to have good stats eventually move to the VS so they can use the Betelgeuse 54-A.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ragnarox

7. CoopTang

Go to ps2alerts and look at prime time (the alerts between 1700 and 2300 EDT) and tell me the VS are "dominating"
  8. Goretzu

That shows pretty clearly that on Miller VS just tends wins most alerts (at any time), surprisingly it actually looks like TR that wins the most dead of the night alerts.
  9. pnkdth

The last 20 alerts, VS won 3... The last 40 they won 7. How is that "most alerts."

Nearly every single alert that takes place at around the times people are playing are very even, ie. the faction winning with like 3-4%.
  10. Nody

Well last 48 alerts has the split going back to September 30th to date:
    NC 13 (27.1%)
    TR 20 (41.7%)
    VS 15 (31.3%)

So yes VS Miller get of your lazy bum and kick more TR ***...
  11. Goretzu

It's pretty patchy, so the whole thing is somewhat unreliable over the short-term (in fact I don't really think you can look at data like this in blocks of under 6 month in terms or remotely reliable conclusions), but if you go back to the 21 August it's:

Total Alert Wins:
    NC 21 (15%)
    VS 56 (40%)
    TR 63 (45%)

Peak and 50%+ total Peak population Alert Wins:
    TR 10 (18%)
    NC 14 (24%)
    VS 33 (58%)

Which seems to suggest it is the TR winning off-peak on Miller (at least over the last month or so).
  12. Naaahhhhh

Yesterday (06.10.1015) on Miller VS doesn´t win one single allert. Strangely TR and NC team up every time against VS. It´s really frustrating to play against two factions and loose over and over again. And i can´t see why VS should be op at all. TR is op at close range und NC at long range. What does the VS have? Lancer, Orion and a hover lightning with disco light.
  13. Nody

Every faction insists that the other two are double tagging them in every alert; does not matter which side you are on and you'll see the accusations flying (the fact is in general it's a three way for all parties and no real double teaming is going on).
  14. Naaahhhhh

The NC has platoons during the allerts that named "lets fight Vanu". And i have already read TR and NC comments in the All chat like: Better give TR/ NC the victory than VS when its a tie. They dont make no secret of that they dont want VS to win. I´m serious.
    Today it was the same Problem. TR and VS had 38 % and NC had 24 %. 10 minutes for end NC stop pushing at TR and start a big sundy / tank train through VS territory while TR was pushing us at the north. We lost with 36 %.
    And this is normal at miller. And in the end TR and NC mocking us in the chat. I really dont care about this type of people and usually i never say something about this but the lag of fair play harm the game and that makes me sad.
  15. Goretzu

I don't think it's about balance so much, but Miller VS have won't a lot more over the last 8 months and indeed have won a lot more on-peak and 50%+ total pop times recently.

But a 3 way PvP system always feels like the two others are ganging up on you, it is supposed to if it is functioning remotely properly.

Really the biggest thing people seem to struggle with is the reality that in a perfectly balanced system they'd only win 1 time out of 3, given that most people don't seem to like losing 2 times out of 3.
  16. Lemposs

To be fair, and this even comes from a VS on Miller, we have for a long time cheesed our way to victory, we fought so few fair fights that the resentment that we get is in my opinion fair. Hell want to talk about chat, VS themselves complain when DIG drops triple the amount of troops that were having a good fight, because it ruins it for them as well as the enemy.
    We brought this upon ourselves, and us not winning anymore to quite frankly the most boring and lazy way, is only a net positive. We need to get better at equal fights, because those we can barely win anymore.
  17. Goretzu

I've seen DIG drop 3 platoons on an empty base! :p (well... there was me)
  18. Lemposs

Well haven't we all :D

It is an effective strategy unfortunately, but from an enjoyment level, it is bad for both parties.
  19. Sekaszy

How to successfully capture base:
    Step 1: Drop on empty base
    Step 2: Prepare defensive line in best position between A and spawn room
    Step 3: Wait for counter strike
    Step 4: ????
    Step 5: Profit

This is how this game works, in this way defenders need actually to some work instead of just farming attackers.
  20. 1Tap2Tap

I cannot say if this is true or not as i don´t care about command channel, but many NC i know on Miller would rather log off than fight the VS.

You may thank DIG for that.

Repeatedly just getting walzed down by a huge redeploying zerg or vehicle zerg (which may contain 200+ people, not kidding) gets old quite fast.

So really don´t know about that double team thingy.