[Guide] How to build a PC for PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Iridar51

Ask me for help, that's how :D

I have recently started a PC Building Service. Full info is on the linked page, but in short - I'm offering advice and consultations on building the most cost-efficient PC for PlanetSide 2 and other games. You get the opportunity to save a lot of money and learn about everything involved into building PCs. If you'd like, I will even walk you through assembling the PC itself, as well as overclocking and otherwise setting up your machine.

Payment is optional.

To get started, simply contact me in any way you like.

Deringer endorsed my service in his latest Instant Action Podcast.

I also have a number of articles on my blog on this topic, as well as a guide on how to get the best performance out of hardware you already have.

Feel free to ask any questions. Happy to help!
    • Up x 3
  2. Nilithium

Well hello, Iridar! As a planetman from the New Conglomerate, I need your help on not getting dominated by the space cultists and the Orwellian reincarnation. Can you help me become an MLG Heavy that can carry the Conglomerate to victory? Unfortunately, I invested into MAX on Koltyr only to discover MAXes are easily destructible without support.

I could also borrow your help on a new build. I currently play on an AMD A10-7890K with an R7 250 in tow (but PS2 doesn't seem to support Crossfire/Dual Graphics). Here is the parts list:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n4XTKZ
    The 180W power budget is limiting the CPU frequency to 3.0 Ghz when both GPUs are active, but when only the APU, I push the CPU clockspeed to 4.5 Ghz. Nonetheless, it is a potato that requires running at 75% render scale for reasonable frames and frames drop like beats when approaching hectic biolab fights.

I'm making a new build for gaming in Dr. Zaber's Sentry case (zaber.com.pl/sentry) and I plan to install a GTX 1070 Ti alongside an Intel 8600K with a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD. Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  3. Iridar51

Sure thing! Have you already reached Battle Rank 15? You will get an option to refund all your spent certs, excluding weapons.

Either way, it's not a bad thing to have a certed NC MAX. You just have to keep in mind how situational it is. Think of it as a super shotgun loadout, that you want to bring out only in medium sized battles, in fights that are mostly inside buildings and base interior. NC MAX makes enemy infantry count with him like no other unit.

NC Heavies are somewhat different from HAs of other factions, in the sense that they don't get access to an easy, high Rate of Fire close range LMG like Orion, CARV and MSW-R. Anchor is excellent, but expensive.

I could talk paragraphs on this topic, but without more specific questions, it's hard for me to say something that I already didn't say in my Heavy Assault, LMG and Rocket Launcher guides.

Interesting, I haven't actually dealt with iGPU + dedicated GPU crossfire builds before. I'll have to do some research. I wonder if you would see better frames if you were to disable your internal GPU altogether.

I'm confident there's a lot of fine tuning we could do with your current hardware to get some better frames. But before we do that, I'd like to establish a baseline of current performance. Would you consider doing some benchmarking?

Also, is your PlanetSide 2 installation located on SSD or HDD?

8600k and 1070 Ti would make an excellent and performing machine.

However, you may wish to compare prices of 7600k and 8600k in your region. Right now Coffee Lake CPUs are overly expensive due to high demand and stock shortage. I've got a short article on that topic.

I'm not sure about the situation with GTX 1070 Ti, but I would actually expect the same. They literally came out weeks ago, and are too likely to be overpriced for the moment.

I actually use a 960 Evo myself. This is my first SSD ever, so I'm enjoying the contrast of Windows booting in under 30 seconds, and blazingly fast start of all programs installed on the SSD. Though PS2 is the only game I keep on it, and I can't really say there's a world of difference, though it does load a noticeably quicker.

I'm having a lot of doubts about Sentry case. I refuse to believe you will be able to keep all components cool enough in such a small space, especially considering you're gonna be overclocking a 6-core CPU with 95 Watt TDP and a full-sized GPU. Is there a reason you want to go for such a small case? I would expect even an mATX to handle better. I would need to do more research to offer a more educated opinion, though.

As said, 8600k and 1070 Ti would make a great combination. But you seem to be trying to cram a ton of expensive muscle in a really small (and also expensive) case... to do what, exactly?

What kind of games do you intend to play on that beast? With what resolution and framerate? And how much are you willing to pay for it?
    • Up x 1
  4. Nilithium

I'm already big time past BR 15. I'm currently BR 51. Have a look at my stats! http://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=nilithium
    So, when I say I'm invested into MAX, I'm neck deep in the hole (about $55) for all the weapons I could need for any situation. Dual Bursters, dual Ravens, dual Ripsaws (with extended mags) to make the majority of my meager Certs back then go into the Aegis and Armor both Ballistic and Ordinance, as they're now called. Also got some swank AF cosmetics to be the most fearsome MAX of the Conglomerate, too.

As for HA, I've noticed that the cheaper weapons are much better and more forgiving to new players than the stock Gauss SAW and the Shrike. For a combined total of only 650 certs (350 per) you get a GD-22 with much less kickback and more accuracy with a much more manageable reload time than the sluggishly slow 7 seconds of the stock LMG. As for Shrike, the Crow is in every way a functional advantage. Slightly more damage, lock on capabilities, ability to scope for a better view of the target and higher rocket capacity make it a must-have for any Conglomerate HA. Really, they should swap out the stock loadout with the much easier to use ones and arrange the Gauss SAW as a longer range, higher clip capacity version for the cheap price. Not sure how you'd buff Shrike though.

As for the benchmarking on my current build, it's currently boxed up because I'm renovating. I'll be glad to run the test mentioned when I do, however! PS2 is located on my SSD, yes.

I know that the i5-8600K will be overpriced, but I do have an ace up my sleeve. I just need to wait for stock availability, is all. I also scored an MSI GTX 1070 Ti Duke Edition that doesn't fit inside Sentry, so duct tape engineering will be required! (it's about 7mm too long, in case you're curious.)
    I plan to slot the 8600K into an ROG Strix z370-i and pair it with another 960 Evo 256GB for absolutely blazing speeds. If I ever have an IO bottleneck (that's not due to overheating on the M.2 controller, I'm calling Samsung for a refund. Also, 16GBs of Trident Z RGB memory for the white LEDs!
    I also won't be overclocking the 8600K until I replace the Noctua LP cooler I have with a Cryorig C7 Copper Edition cooler.
    Why am I cramming everything into a tiny, expensive case? Because I'm in love with not having wasted space in a case. I'd love the build even more to get the same awe inspiring power of a tower in the space of an XBONE. Finally, I play on a 1900x1200 monitor, and yes, I am acutely aware that this build is well and truly overkill. I've already gotten or decided on the parts, now it's all about assembly.
  5. VSSSSSSSSFTW

My spec for ps 2.

[IMG]
  6. VSSSSSSSSFTW

Or this spec which is much stable and pretty cooling too.
    [IMG]
  7. Towie

If you're not going to overclock then the i5-8400 is getting very positive reviews - for a significant cost saving, it's only 300mhz slower than the 8600k (when turbo-ing), But then - the rest of the spec is so high, you'll probably want the 8600k ;) Just wanted to say...
  8. Nilithium

On an average day, you'd be on point. Until 2018 however, Intel is only offering Z370 motherboards, the only chipset that can overclock. No point in putting a non OC processor into an OC capable motherboard!
  9. Darth Oby

I have an 6 core processor /w 8 GB of RAM and an GTX 960 4gb and I cant even play this game at low settings, 60FPS in medium sized fights. I get 40FPS maximum on low/w no shadows.
    My frame rates have literally got worse over the last 5 years of upgrading my PC.
    This games optimization is total trash.
  10. Iridar51

You could try going for headshots a bit more, but your most used weapon is GD-7F, and it's fine to go for bodyshots with it, GD-7F kills so fast that it just doesn't matter.

Your stats are average, which is fine for now, but it could be a worrying sign if they don't improve over time.

Well at this point you already probably know more about playing NC MAX than I do. If you have specific questions, I'm sure guys at reddit would be glad to help.
    True, SAW is not for the faint-hearted. You've made a good choice by going for GD-22, though many players hold Anchor as a functional advantage over it, as far as "farming in close quarters" goes. The difference is really minimal, though, not worth getting another expensive weapon.

Shrike is actually not that bad. When it comes to straight up damage per second on ground vehicles at close and medium range, Shrike holds the first place. Hawk's rockets are much slower, and don't produce splash damage against infantry and MAXes, though it's not like Shrike does a lot of it.

At the very least, it would be interesting to compare benchmarks between different builds of your PC.

Well, it sounds you've already decided on everything. I personally think it's a criminal waste of money for such a mundane goal, but it's your call, obviously.

There's a bit of problem with that. To reach their top performance, PC components must have enough power. Consuming power makes them produce heat. If they overheat, they can't work at top efficiency. It's really tough to ensure good cooling in a small case, there's a reason why every laptop performs worse than a desktop with same hardware - heat efficiency.

The low profile CPU coolers have me worried the most. How do they direct the airflow? From CPU sides and sucking it out? Or push the air onto the CPU from the top? In the latter case, that hot air will go everywhere; RAM, chipset, GPU, heating them as well. Can't be good.

So depending on how you manage heat, you won't have exactly the same power as a tower. Tower ensures good cooling by having lots of empty space around components, and lets you direct the airflow out of the case, by using additional case fans.

With such dense arrangement of components in a Sentry case, I'm worried the components will be left to boil in their own juice like a crowd of people crammed into a bus. In winter clothing.

I'm probably overthinking this. In the end, it will work fine. Just not as good as it could. It may even make sense to go for overkill components, so they can handle the load without working at top of their ability, so they won't overheat.

Well, it sounds like the only real issue here is fitting a specific Graphics Card in a specific Case. You should ask the Sentry case shop for support on that front.