How to beat a vanguard as a prowler?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by typnct, Nov 12, 2017.

1. typnct

Dps no? It takes a vanie 17 sec to kill a prowler
    16 secs
    To kill a vanie it takes 17.5 to kill a vanie(without him poping the shield)
    The prowler has a delay after each shot and after the 2nd a huge delay before reload
    So even taking out a vanie is impossible if you need to readjust your aim even for a few split seconds
  2. typnct

And yeah after playing as a tank for a few days my acc at 700 meters at first shot is 50% to hit and with the secound ill hit every time unless he starts to manuever( not always predictable)
    400meters(cant miss)
    Its not too hard after a while

A vanguard can do everything a prowler can without any problems whatsoever(sliding? Use reverse to climb, slow af? Double tap w, low dps? Kite- guarantee to out dmg him)

Apearantly you need to outskill a vanie to win and to position yourself as a coward all around

While it takes abit of experince and pressing f to win as a vanie

Explain to me how doesnt he have the dmg?

The shield? Pop it as you see him

40 recharge? If he is an idiot that will charge then he is good as dead

If he doesnt then he is good as gone(or died to inf already phonix, max bs rocket launcher and whatnot)

And the repair time is whats bad?

You have 20% more health
    20% less dps
    And shield with 65%resistance

The prowler will burn at the end of the shield even while locked down and you will have appx 50% health left
    You charge you win

If the prowler could insta shoot both projectiles then yes he would be equal to the vanie
  3. Demigan

Look Typnct, you are trying to justify something that's simply not true.

For example, the past days I've been using my TR toon and have been focussing on vehicle combat with the NC. With a semi-tricked out HEAT Prowler (basilisk on top) I've been going up against the NC, and it simply depended on the situation who won.

Sometimes a Vanguard showed up with a Sunderer, Lightning and some infantry as backup. Sometimes it was a 2/2 Prowler+me vs a Vanguard and Sunderer (which the Vanguard and Sunderer lost hard, not any of this "and the Vanguard killed one of the Prowlers" crap). Sometimes the Vanguard got blocked by an NC Sunderer, sometimes I got blocked by a TR Sunderer, sometimes I managed to shift focus to another TR guy so I could deploy and rip through them, sometimes there were simply too many NC vehicles in play to be effective at the range I was at.

But always, always I kept marvelling at the ease of the Prowler. It's speed, it's maneuverability, the incredible difference in firepower compared to a Vanguard.

The Vanguard has one situation it can basically win at in an equal skill scenario: Full-frontal combat. The Vanguard can't outmaneuver (again, in equal skill combat), the Vanguard can't out-DPS, the Vanguard can't be better at using cover, the Vanguard can't do anything compared to the other two MBT's. It can only hope to win that full-frontal confrontation. But for some reason you think that the Vanguard shouldn't have that, that the Vanguard who can't compete with the other two tanks at anything else than full-frontal should have that last vestige of usefulness it can have taken away. And even that full-frontal usefulness only applies while it's still got it's shield, the moment that's gone the Vanguard truly is the worst tank. The worst DPS, the worst combination of speed and maneuverability, the worst punishment for misses...
    • Up x 2
  4. JibbaJabba

As a whole I think more people should play other factions and other classes.

It would really accelerate progress on posts like this. We always have to go through this (typically nasty) back and forth before we finally figure out the upset person doesn't have a good grasp on the thing they are upset about.
    • Up x 1
  5. blackboemmel

Try to find a decent Vanguard driver with a certed tank. You'll learn a lot and won't be useless from the start. ;)
  6. typnct

ok, so an update:
    ive played alot as a prowler lately(one life 411(with the double exp) certs 102k exp - my best achievement so far)

the prowler is useful, but you need a gunner(to protect yourself from harrasers mainly)
    the basic need for the prowler is to kill sundrers on the move and nuke the deployed ones

be wary anti infantry combat takes alot of skill(aiming upfront by alot)
    i dont know if anyone noticed but in you shoot you have a small delay before the shot actually materializes so it wont instahit
    dont rely on the x marker(its useless)
    always aim abit higher

anti tank combat vanguard - hard to beat but possible(stay in cover as much as possible try to get 1 shot every opportunity you get(2nd only if you're sure you will hit without getting hit back)
    the vanguard has 4 - 3.5 reload speed(if he shoots you're free to punish)
    if he uses he still be wary - he can deploy the shield
    dont wait for the shield to be deployed make him deploy it pre maturely

if you cant make him do that then hit as much as possible waiting for a stalemate
    and look for the closest chunk of cover to move around(he will miss a few shots there - i guarantee it)

reverse or forward is strictly situational but always try to make him drive after you - dont chase him
    land shots(1 or 2) and reload after each engagement(waiting to punish)
    after he deployed the shield be prepared for a charge(his last hope)
    continue shooting
    dont overestimate your health(if he shoots you once in the back then you're done for)

the tank combat varies strictly by the imagination and terrain usage(more effective medium to long range)

camoflauge is important in the vanguard pvp and anti c4 in vs

you dont have to take the anchor to win but its highly suggested(wont help you in a rush only in a stalemate)
    i can suggest fire supp(strictly situational - you cant predict what will happen)

magrider(dont underestimate those guys)
    as you know prowlers disadvantage is harrasers - the mag is an harraser

fight him like you fight an harraser and dont give him your side to shoot - remember he is less coordinated because of the 3rd person view so you can always outflank him(not to be used in mass battles))

for conclusion - the vanguard is the hardest target
    you cant fight him head on but if you have no choice use the terrain
    always take ap for tank combat(dont take heat in any situation as it takes the same time to kill with the he)
    if you are inaccurate then take the heat(less punishing for missed shots)

magrider - harraser combat(would take heat or ap) - he is a strong opponent that can make you miss alot of shots
    but he is a soft target in close to medium range and a hard target at long range

i would suggest buffing the magriders 3rd person view to higher field of view(150 seems right)
    for all tank combat i would suggest to change the optics target system to match the gravity and to change the fire range(so i wont need to always aim lower especially for magriders because of the slow muzzle velocity)

i had my runs and i got the experience to combat well right now
    now i want you all to share your knowledge about tank combat to help new guys to be able to combat with some sense of whats going on and how to react mainly

i would really apreciate it if the devs would put up videos of examples that new players would be able to see
    and give them some unfair advantage at first(like seeing where you're going to hit and how to calculate it yourself)

thanks for all the support and have fun while learning!
  7. stalkish

Its worse than that.....
    Shield no longer covers the top, so is almost useless unless the aircraft attacks from below a 45 degree angle, to the front or sides....
    • Up x 1
  8. CMDante

It's harder to get the prowler's high DPS to bear than it is to than the other tanks good DPS to bear. Having two shots is at best a side-grade and at worst a slight nerf. It's the only tank where recoil and aim correction are actually factors in putting out damage, each missed shot is hugely punishing. There's also the simple fact that the prowler has no way to mitigate incoming damage so every fight you get into is a frantic DPS race.

That being said I think with the exception of the Magrider HE turret tanks are pretty well balanced(against each other. AI options are a joke) and a fight will have many determining factors, too many for a simple "X always wins unless"
  9. OgreMarkX

This is a long thread. The answer is simple:

"How to kill a Vanguard with a Prowler?"

Answer: Wait for another NC player to TK the vanguard.
  10. Jubikus

I have most my experience in this game using prowlers and vanguards and nearly identical stats using both so ill put my 2 cents in . Taking down a Vanguard with a Prowler is a matter of positioning. You pretty much always want the high ground and be behind or on the side of the Vanguard. Once in position the rest is cake you deploy and lay into them you'll often get 4 well placed shells before they can even turn to locate where you even are and if they have no immediate support/escape route they've already lost. Many times getting into the good flanking positions will take you on a 2-3 minute drive around somewhere but using a prowler to great effect takes patients a good spot can yield amazing results.

Now i know when most people talk 1v1 they mean a head on fight against an enemy and the vanguard will pretty much always win this simply because your fighting them in their ideal scenario you can't expect to win that.
  11. Demigan

Well, going from "Vanguards are unbeatable super-monsters" to a much more realistic view of how the MBT's work in just a few days (although with the usual "my faction is worse off prejudice" that everyone will have) is worth of an applause.
  12. Odins Son

The TR is balanced around higher numbers. If you're underpoped in any situation just leave. Look for another battle.
    The same goes for tanking. 1 Vanguard equals 2 Prowlers. Never go alone. Take at lest another 1/2 Prowler with you to stand a chance. You cannot out DPS anymore so try to flank and sneak. Go into cover and repair as soon as half of your armor is gone. The next shoot might set you on fire.
    For the magrider instead you might try to go 1vs1. But keep in mind: the Prowler SHOULD be faster than maggi but when it depends the magrider will chase you and outrun you.
    If you want to go Anti tank try maxes, infantry and Vulcan-Harrassers instead. The Prowlers role still fits more into the infantry farmfest. That's where anchor shines.
  13. Demigan

And just as Typnct has changed his vision, you pop up with his old ideology. Could it be that, maybe, you are wrong if the OP himself also changed position?
    The TR is in no way balanced around higher numbers.

Nope, read the thread and you'll notice that this isn't true. Also play the game once in a while, you'll notice that the Vanguard doesn't equal 2 Prowlers unless you try to facetank him full-frontal with no use of any of your tanks abilities.

Protip: Go alone. Move around the TR armor column and your opponents armor column and stab them in the back. Especially anchored the Prowler will murder enemy vehicles in no time. If you think it's too dangerous to simply go on a shooting spree, pick off damaged vehicles as they drive back for repairs.

A better companion to take with you is brains.

Actually, you still have 50% more DPS than the Vanguard, who has only 20% more health. The only problem arises when the Vanguard activates his shield, which you can wait out and you can use that time to repair.

General wisdom for any vehicle.

... What? A 90Km/h Prowler slower than a 70 or 75Km/h Magrider? Not sure of the exact speeds of the Magrider but...

The Prowler has often been the number 1 MBT killer of the game, so the only reason to try out TR's arsenal of alternative AV weapons is because they can be effective as well, depending on what you pick.
  14. typnct

another really important tip: never take heat rounds if you can(13 sec to kill) that are just like the he(13 sec ttk)
    the best option is always ap(low exposure time and 11 sec ttk)

also be wary of c4 fairies that are coming to bless you while you rep or just in the tunnel effect
    the best way to counter them is to have the gunner to stay in the vehicle and for the driver to get out(of course you must unlock the vehicle incase of an inflirtator attack

again c4 faries are every mbt's main threat

if you rep before tank combat make it quick and get on the mbt to see more

also keep your tactics(main tactics) a secret from anyone - they might abuse this tactic to the point that it will soon be countered(c4 fairies)

if you get hit by c4 fairies then its always your fault(not just the gunner or driver)

dont overextend(unless you are in a death run

and if you're going to die anyway then like a drowning ship go down with a bang(hurt everything as much as you can) and like the titanic become a legend

these tips go for all factions!
    and remember(if you see a complete noob then guide him if you can(we need more players in this game and honestly i hope it will survive just like the hope for half life 3(omg is it still not there?!!)))
  15. LordKrelas

AP was the Pre-CAI, best weapon unless farming.

For LA's with C-4, try using the Spitfire when repairing.
    It provides warning, a distraction, and could finish off the LA.

Otherwise, logical tips for the most part.
    • Up x 1