How to beat a vanguard as a prowler?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by typnct, Nov 12, 2017.

1. typnct

to take down a vanguard you need 900 nanites at minimum(2 prowlers and 4 people)
    or 450(harraser wise 6 people)
    a vanguard can take down 3, 4 prowlers in his life(by friends from the nc)
    being a vanguard driver to take down a prowler takes allot less people and alot less coordination(2 prowler drivers assault a vanguard the vanguard is dead but so is one prowler)

firepower is nothing when you cant finish off the targer without being destryoed
    mbt are supposed to be able to make more damage than an harraser(as a solo harraser i make alllllot more dmg to enemy tanks(vanguards,mag's etc)
    so i dont see any use for the prowlers in close range at all because they are too fragile to even start a fight and land enough shots to kill

missing shots is not only my problem because its not easy to get 2 follow up shots like 1 shot that hits hard(you can kite so using this logic i hit once he gets to cover after landing a more painful shot on me due to lower health and the need to give 2 shots and you die, vanguards ttk with a driver is 12.5 seconds
    and for the prowler is 14.66 sec(with shielded vanguard is 20 sec)
    so it doesnt matter at all even if i land all my shots im going to get killed anyway unless i am anchored then its 7 sec(rarely you can use it purely like that) and about 12 sec when he is shielded so he is alot more stronger at close and medium range or if he can land shots from the distance then he can even take out an artilery prowler down if he doesnt back up using kite and rocks etc...)

this tank can kill air, ground, liberators, harrasers, sundrers, magriders and chase them down with ease(he doesnt really have a weakspot because the shield provide more than enough to surpass that)
    have you tried running into him with an harraser? he will kill you in 3 sec if you dont see him first and on long ranges he can snipe you too so it pretty much takes out prowlers advantage at longer ranges due to the kite strategy so... the prowler is still useless against him(as of my understanding of most situations(again from my understanding because i still cant figure out how to take him down))

an artilery tank?
    thats pretty much right, he is an artilery but that doesnt make him useful to his team in any situation
    especially if a vanguard decides to hunt you down

again im trying to find tactics that work for 1vs1
    so far theres not alot of results
  2. typnct

tnx for the tip, ill try that soon and any tips how to use the vanguard?(so i wont feel useless from the start)
  3. Yessme

time ago and now it`s easy to beat a Vang 1v1 with a prowler..

Firesup + front Amor + Vulcan + AV = 100% winn for Prowler, time ago and now too.

to time the Vang is a bad choice, better take Harraser, you can own more with it than with the MBT
    Vang is very Close to the lightning now. Many fights i winn after nerf now with the lightning vs Vang.
    Maggy are stronger than Vang after the update ,

Sliding Vanguard, boring to drive + boring for fight now
  4. typnct

came to a conclusion, the vanguard is op by the game rule(op not as opby mistake but op to make more crowd play for the nc and not stop playing the game)
    there is not way to win 1 vs 1 as van vs prow none, absolutely none

no flanking(unless you somehow anchor behind him and give him the first 2 4 shots

no way of killing him at all
    he is anti air anti vehicle anti inf
    weaknessess= anchoring from behind(too rare)
    the anchor doesnt give any advantage against him

a newly spawned vanguard(shield not deployed yet) is killable but you will prob get 5 6 spawn so... nope

flanking a vanguard driver that has half a brain is impossible and you will loose 450 nanites

the prowler was meant to be prowled by the vanguard and the vanguard is meant to?....................
    well anti everything giving the push and holding the front line

not the prowler and the mag cant handle him at 1vs1 mathematically so if you are against a shielded van just run
    there is literally nothing you can do

pairing up with other vanguards and anchoring from both sides will provide defence only but you will die
    sniping in prowlers will get you killed by inf when you repair more than you think

the vanguard is amazing but seriously it has no weakspots at all
    therefor cannot be counted as an up(as alot of people are saying because mags burner wont help them too much to dmg them and prowlers anchor is useless against them and makes you a sweet target for them(shoot get back reaload repeat-and you killed the prowler))

man this was the most annoying experience ive had to understand the the prowler is a heavy harraser and not more than that

its even wasteful actually to even take one take an haraser with a friend - you will be more useful
    hell take the flash - even that is more useful

non the less ill keep playing as all vehicles but this was realllly nerve wrecking- die die die die die die die die
    wait for nanites to regen - die - wait - die - wait
    even with experienced squad all they said that we need to get away when asked why - 2 vanies are coming - we were 4
    yep they rather not even get the risk to loose 3 prowlers to fight 2 vanies

its not fair its not right but its in the game nothing we can do so theres no crying just fight them however you can in which methods you got(inf rocket spam, constant lock ons,c4 etc... you will die alot but well you will feel awhole lot better after killing one! and thats all worth it)

anyway i dont see another reason to even research more for strategies because the only way to kill a vanie is to see where he messed up and punish
  5. LordKrelas

If you want to out-endure a max, as an infantry unit you die.
    If you stand in-front of a Kobolt (AI weapon) as an infantry unit, you die.
    If you're a vehicle, and you sit in AV fire, you die.

But apparently, if you are TR, in a Prowler, you expect to survive longer than the thing built to survive the longest.
    You have this grand issue of logic here: You expect to best the tank made for enduring, in an endurance contest with no actions on your part being different than theirs.

You do not need double the nanites; You need to stop using a Prowler like a Vanguard, against a Vanguard.
    You do not see people complaining that the Magrider or Vanguard, can't unload 2 shots per reload as if they were a prowler.
    You do not see anyone thinking a Prowler or Vanguard, has the ability to strafe.
    Yet here you are going "It takes two prowlers to face-tank the face-tanking tank in the contest it should win" as if that isn't logical.
    It takes two vanguards, to match a prowler's firepower - And even then, that's not gonna stay accurate with lock-down.
    A Harasser is 2 people; The 3rd seat is rarely useful unless it's an engineer.

A Vanguard taking down 3 prowlers, means proper shield use, repair times in-between, proper positioning, and no one bright in a prowler for 3 engagements.
    As by your logic here, a Prowler nukes down 5x the number of targets in less time than the Vanguard.
    As we aren't taking into account time, at all, nor the requirements.

No Vanguard can hit an aircraft better than any other MBT, past the velocity advantage.
    No better elevation.
    Same AA top-guns.
    The only difference is the shield, for practicality, and that's for surviving the air assault.

If you can't get the Prowler to out-preform offensively..
    You aren't using it properly.

Artillery, smashing down sunderers, spawns, entire infantry groups, tanks and more from a great distance rapidly..
    Is apparently not as useful as a purely defensive directional shield on the slowest firing moderate damage tank.
    You are a failure.

1v1 tactics:
    Do not face tank the ******* Vanguard, as if you were the same tank.
    No vanguard faces a prowler as if it had the firepower.
    No prowler should face a Vanguard as if it had the durability.

The Prowler isn't designed to be superior in all uses over the Vanguard.
    ***** sake, use the tank properly.

If you can't figure how the Vanguard can die.
    You need to go play a NC, and try the Vanguard.

VS has dibs on the "heavy harasser" MBT.
    Not TR.
    • Up x 2
  6. typnct

You're assuming too much from what i said and lost the point
    I do understand that its stupid to even engage a 1vs1 vanie vs prow

I just though that its funny that this is the only tank in the game with nothing that is the direct answer for it
    And it means that nothing can take it out

By my logic the prow cant get 5x the dmg
    I dont even know how you got there
    Prob just assumed and not even read a thing...

The prow has longer ttk
    A whole lot longer due to the shield

Im not trying to be agresive here but to explain to all those who wonder the same what to do and if something works

Nope nothing worked
    Get over it
    Use everything you can
    And dont get frustrated

Lastly the prowler is like an harraser because of his dps when anchored
    Hit and run from sight
    Wait
    Repeat
  7. LordKrelas

You also don't engage a prowler 1v1 lightly either, as a Vanguard, or as a Magrider.
    As for the Vanguard, timing is critical, if the prowler decides to face-tank like an idiot, then sure victory..

The Prowler has the highest DPS, with both shells equaling more damage than the Vanguard.
    The Prowler has a higher top speed.
    For a face-tanking contest, yes the prowler loses, due to the Shield.
    Since if it won, that'd be pretty ****** up, since that is the entire point of the shield, which is what the Vanguard is based on.
    Enduring.

If the artillery tank could kill the endurance tank in its element, without any consideration or tactic..
    The Endurance tank wouldn't be the endurance tank, the Prowler would be; And the Vanguard would be ****.

The prowler isn't like a Harasser.
    A Harasser is a fragile, constantly moving vehicle, using speed to make up for the lack of armor.
    The Magrider is closer to this, given it is the agility tank - and lacks the prowler's range.

Every single tanker if bright, hits & runs, or they die to attrition or a harasser, or any threat really popping up before they repair.
    The Vanguard especially due to the reliance of health for the shield.
    The Prowler isn't the sole tank that attacks, hides in cover, attacks.

Let alone since the prowler has murderously long range.

I'm sorry you can't drive a Prowler in against a Vanguard, and do nothing but sit there shooting.
    While the Vanguard pops the Shield properly timed, lands all shots, and works tactically.
    You want to have your cake & eat it, for less effort?
    • Up x 1
  8. Demigan

Ok, so now we are fabricating things.

2 Prowlers annihilate a Vanguard and don't lose a thing.

It's actually very easy to find out that this is true:
    If the Vanguard has the same DPS (which it hasn't, it has lower), but 20% extra health.
    But the Prowler has 2 Prowlers, and thus 100% extra health and 100% extra damage.
    Then by the time the Vanguard deals 50% damage to the Prowler, both Prowlers have dealt 100% health to the Vanguard. Vanguard has 20% extra health. So if the Vanguard deals 60% health to the Prowler, then the Prowlers have done 120% health, and the Vanguard is dead.

"but that Vanguard has a shield!" I hear you say.
    Then I say "but those Prowlers have stuff too!". Even in Esamir or Northern Indar every fight starts the same: Both tanks come around some cover, spot each other and start maneuvering and engaging. That might mean they are still more than 700m away from eachother, but they will start engaging. The Prowler is faster, it can get back into cover when the Vanguard is still struggling, the Prowler has higher DPS (1200 damage per 4 seconds unupgraded or 1200 over 3,5 second upgraded vs the Vanguards 800 per 4 seconds or 800 per 3,5 seconds upgraded...), the Prowler has a higher Alpha damage if you are smart enough to simply add up both shots and the ability to deploy only increases the advantages the Prowler has in a direct engagement. Due to the fact that undeploying is instant nowadays there's virtually no downside to deploying when you can as you can start moving whenever you want.

The only problem you would ever face during the entire engagement, is having to go up against a Vanguard head-on while he activates his shield. ---> drop behind the ample cover for some repairs and/or start driving around if you are at range to avoid some damage. And now you are facing a Vanguard that can't out-DPS you, can't outmaneuver you, can't out-endurance you (because your 20% extra health pales to the 50% extra DPS the Prowler brings into the fight before deploying), can't be better at peek-a-boo than you due to it's long frame+slow speeds+lower alpha-damage... And you can still deploy and start to really annihilate him.

So don't go fabricating myths that the Vanguard magically can kill one Prowler in a 2v1 engagement, or that it takes 3 Harassers to down a single Vanguard where 1 has always been enough especially from the Vulcan Harasser. We also used to have this thing called "statistics" from the Oracle of Death site. This proved that the Vanguard wasn't the king of MBT vs MBT, in fact it barely made the first spot often trading it with both the Magrider and the Prowler. It also proved that the Vanguard was woefully underpowered in every other department, not being able to score even close to the amount of carnage the Maggie and Prowler could do on unimportant things like infantry and Sunderers...
    • Up x 2
  9. typnct

Myth?
    I see it every war
    2 vanguards charge and the whole tr army needs to get back
    Yes the shield is basically the easier usage strategy
    You dont waste time, you dont waste nanites

Using harrasers is faster and cheaper to kill sundrers so yo dedicade 450 nanites for that?
    Nope
    Id rather be a smaller faster target

And no i understand that you cant get it all like the 100% win scenetious the nc has in vanguards in most situations

I just want you to think if you as an nc main
    Can even think that there is nothing wrong with not havong any weaknesses whatsoever
    High endurance
    High dmg per shot 5
    65 kmph(enough to kill any harraser within 4 sec)
    Ability to say well you screwed up not seeing me
    Run in fear(not even joking when we see 7 mags coming towards us we dont assume our death to be that quick as from 3 vanguards)

The tank has no weakspots
    Because the shield makes up a whole lot more than you think
    Those 8 sec are worth a kill and no health loss
    Ive even followed a van driver as inflirtator and the whole mind blowing strategy they use it py
    Push
    Rep shield repeat

Yep thats some hard strategy there
    While you claim the other nations need to be alot more skilled
    Lucky and not to engage them
    Sure i want my base to be locked down by 7 vanies
    Guess thats just the way of life

There is no weakspot therefor you want us to waste half our time finding sundrers and inf?
    Are you kidding??????

I can take an harraser and fight them better due to the high mobility

The prowler is just not useful at inf fights like the harraser
    So its a heavier slower harraser

Hell, i take out 7 to 9 sundrers just soloing my way with the harraser

While the prowler will get locked on by most of its ocvupants and prob die

So in conclusion all you want is to be in a vanguard i get it
    Idc

He is a beast that eats the cake and then pops the cake back up there to eat it again :/
  10. typnct

right now im at the mani lab yep the vanguard doesnt take prowlers lightly(charging like **** at 2 prowlers again one is dead
    if you think that this is rare or even remotely a myth then go ahead drive a prowler try to protect something against a vanguard
  11. LordKrelas

Whole TR is apparently ********.
    2 Vanguards charge, their rears are exposed, they can't retreat back, infantry have an easier time landing shots in-between the longest reload of the main gun, and the grandest bit; Once the shield is used, they lose their durability.
    And since every MBT's rear amplifies damage, and the Vanguard Shield does not affect the rear... Charging ahead like that is suicide unless the enemy is Brain dead.

Easier strat?
    You have to time this shield, and ensure the enemy can't **** you during the recharge, or from the rear.
    Prowler tactic for ability; Lockdown at will, fire.
    Vanguard shield: Time it with full health, ensuring you can retreat back, or save it for retreat, with the lower health reducing the effect.
    What do you think involves what the enemy is doing, timing, watch for flanking and risk? Shield.
    What does lockdown involve? Ensuring you aren't flanked, and that you can aim.
    If lockdown isn't easier, you have troubles using a keyboard & mouse...

High damage? Do you know that the prowler while less slightly per single shot, has two shots?
    The grand total is higher, and with 2 shots, followed by a good reload, the ability to have a second shot if you miss..
    If you miss once, you can deal half - If you miss as a Vanguard, you deal 0.

Kill a harasser, with the high velocity shell, longest reload...
    While the harasser just needs to spin around the tank, unload into the rear, or unload into it, till it either wastes the shield, or dies.
    Once shield active, fall back for a few, repair, spin back, now tank has lost the entire defensive capability.

A Prowler uses ability, it doesn't expire, and it's always available.

Weakspot of Vanguard:
    • Rear
    • Anytime the shield isn't available
    • At range
    • Engaged & disengaged repeatedly

7 magriders is 7 cannons, capable of flanking.
    7 vs 3, 7 wins.
    Magriders are also harder to hit.
    If three slow firing Vanguards, that are defensive in nature are scarier than 7 floating tanks..
    You need to actually reconsider what you call a threat.

Prowler isn't useful in fights?
    wtf do you use your prowler for?
    It can suppress & kill easier than the Vanguard, against infantry, against lightnings, against harassers..
    It is a faster frame, and can more quickly unload onto targets, using sheer DPS to nuke the enemy.
    A Vanguard takes ages to unload, and infantry is where it suffers greatly, let alone without the proper shells.
    TR has two shots to kill, with 1-hit kills, without even a gunner.
    Vanguard, has one shot, with the longest reload, without a gunner.

Magrider, is entirely about agility.
    Harasser is about agility.

Magrider lacks the sheer DPS of the Prowler.
    Lacks the baseline speed of the Prowler.
    Lacks the range of the Prowler.
    Harasser lacks the Range of the Prowler.

Yet the Prowler,a DPS killing machine is a harasser, and the Vanguard a monster...
    I can kill a Vanguard with my archer, in an open road, within pistol to LMG range.
    Against a Prowler, you need cover, unless they are the ****test shot, as they have twice the attempts to kill you.
    And can outrun you easily.

As your prowler pilots can't operate tanks..
    You just sit there, and unload without any thought to tactics.
    So, of course the Vanguard, that you apparently can't hit with 2 shots, can kill two ******* stuck in tanks.

I have piloted Prowlers.
    I have piloted Magriders.
    I have piloted Vanguards.

Magriders are fun.
    Prowlers are also fun.
    Vanguards require a lot of certs, timing, and not being outnumbered.
  12. Gavlad7

Impossible, TR is nerf weapons and vehicles
  13. typnct

Found the solution:fully cert anchor+reload time take stealth

1.you are a support. -engage engage engage

2.dont let them time to breath

3.if you see in 3rd person a vanie
    Let it be in an open spot(if you can)
    Them shell him like f

4.after killing 2 3 vanguards prepare to be called lagswitch cheater(dont even know what that means)

5.do not charge-i cant even start to explain how important this is

6.when you repair anchor yourself incase on a sudden attack

7.vulcan is for hossin halberd for everything else

8.when you spawn the prowler prepare to shoot mines as you roll(it saved me more than i thought

9.use 3rd person to line shots if you dont want to expose yourself

10.attack till he pop- dont charge-wait for support
    Making him pop is more than enough for your inf

11.vanguard is op in close range

12.prowler can whiten a vanguard with precise shots on the move(run away run away as i land another shell ok?)

13.dont even think of engaging a vanie not fully certed
  14. typnct

quick edit:
    yes an nc harraser can easily kill a vanguard
    yes the tr,vs harrasers cant kill a vanguard - wtf?
    to kill a vanie per faction:tr-minimum 3
    vs-minimum 3
    to kill a prowler as nc - minimum 1? i dont know even when to begin talking about it but its off topic.
  15. LordKrelas

Unless you went and Team-killed an friendly vanguard.... what the ****..

VS and TR can kill a vanguard..
    What are you smoking.
    3? Wtf you doing with them? Ramming?
    Harassers do not sit still, and unload into the front of tanks.

NC harasser has to be in CQC...
    VS & TR do not.

Can you even use a sunderer?
  16. typnct

Nc harrasers has to be cqc?
    They already have advantage at all distanes with the inf harrasers vanguards and what not

If that was true then the vulcan should do max dmg up to 300meters
    But no its supposed to fight in 50.meters or less

And in what distance do you think most battles happen? At 1km away?

The ability to kill an mbt tank at cqc is total utter bs

The vs is suffering as they are and the nc is like dude i can totally kill that mbt

While all other faction harrasers-yep im gonna die
  17. typnct

Now that ive figured out how to kill vanguard another problem pops out

Killing a vanguard is strictly situational
    What i mean by that is:
    You rarely have any situation that you can kill a vanguard
    You can only kill him if you flank/snipe from a distance

It doesnt work against experienced vanguard

A vanguard can find your location and you're good as dead
    So killing a vanie becomes a nanite consuming job that doesnt require him any skill at close range to kill you

How is that exactly balanced?

What is the anti vanguard weapon?

If you cant kill him in any effective way then he is just plainly op because of the adaptable shield mechanism

To balance it out the shield should be recharchable one per 2 minutes(punishable yet fair

If he cant be punished for anything he does then its stupidly op to the point that the vulcan should get twice the rpm to match this out

Again the prowler shouldnt be a sniper tank because its unreasonable to excpect us to sit on a rock for 15 to 45 minutes to kill a few easy targets

And i found out after playing a vanguard that he simply has no disadvantage at long range either(low exposure to shots)

I took out 5 prowlers with no problems whatsoever
    And i could use any advantage that the prowlers had over me to my use easily

Please if any dev reads this stop this absurdity
  18. boey

Vanguard is still the tank i fear the most as a Magrider pilot. If i am not able to flank and there is only flat ground and no trees and no rocks, i will be dead 100%. Head on head, the Vanguard is still the king. Flank, or get killed. As simple as that. If you can't flank, then RUN. Run for your life.
  19. typnct

Ok now i would like to know why dont they nerf the f out of the vanguard?
    As any advantage i gain as a prowler can be easily achived by vanguards as well wtf is going on?
  20. LordKrelas

Situational...
    The Shield is Situational.

Killing a Prowler that knows how to actually hit, evade, and engage, isn't easy.
    A Vanguard in order to survive an idiot prowler, needs timing, needs accuracy, and needs to understand cover.
    A Prowler just needs to land the shots, once the shield is triggered, do anything to outlast it, or throw off the enemy's shot.

You do realize that Shield has a cooldown, and when it's not able to be used, the Vanguard can't win any fight expect against someone who can't aim right?

Prowler is an Artillery tank, designed to out DPS, which it does.
    No one expects to out DPS the Prowler, let alone in their environment - yet the Vanguard is expected to be bested in open field, without good accuracy, without evasion, without planning?

Long Range: Long reload, ease of enemy repair.
    Use Lockdown, Prowler becomes a lot better at this.

You took out 5 prowlers, over the course of what time, against what BR, and what server.
    Given you couldn't land two cannon shots, I doubt it.

Dev's don't read this site.

Magrider can take an open field, and evade... If you can't, then the Vanguard is a good shot, or you're horrid at strafing.
    As well, this is a open-field battle close-enough range, where the Vanguard should not be screwed.
    Lets assume with this Logic, a flanking Magrider should be killed easier.
    And a Prowler set-up at range, should die easier, since it too is in it's element...
    A Vanguard's shield is a limited use ability, that is directional, and timed.
    Without it, It can not even win the face-tanking contest.

As well, as a Magrider pilot, you shouldn't be having issues picking terrain, or fights.
    Let alone think an open field fight, against a Vanguard without any thought, isn't moronic.
    No Vanguard thinks to engage a prowler or Magrider without their shield, some cover, or planning:
    The ones that do think that, are long dead.

DPS? No.
    Speed? No.
    Damage? No.
    Repair Time? No.

What does Vanguard have? Ability to face-tank, if shield is available.
    Jesus.