How to appeal Medic to the playerbase?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DIGGSAN0, Aug 4, 2017.

1. OldMaster80

It does, as long Max players remeber THEIR butt is covered by a thick armor plate, but not the Engineer's one.

But still Engineers have a similar problem as Medics, with the exception they're played a lot because they can repair their own vehicles. Why should anyone play that class for infantry fights? The game does not keep track of how much you help with repair and ammo supply: it just counts deaths and kills.

It's not HA being OP. It's as long as the game keeps only track of KDR people are not encouraged to play support classes. The whole game has been centered around kills and farming, why the hell should anyone play a class that is less efficient at faming the only stat?
  2. FateJH

• Up x 1
  3. DemonicTreerat

Don't need to remove them actually. PS1 made the med kit a non-full heal so you had to down several (typically a character's full allotment) to go from almost zero to near-full. Now granted there was no having to holster ones existing weapon to do so, and the number is still finite, but they were hardly game-breaking. However I would agree their power and ready availability in PS2 doesn't exactly help make medics non-revive abilities more desired. To that end I would suggest these two changes.

1) Keep them inexpensive to cert but make them more expensive to purchase - on par with C4 for nanites. Maybe even make the first one a free cert (say a reward for completing the turtorial and/ or basic training directive for that character).

2) Replace the current medkit with a somewhat improved version of the restoration kit (say returns 25% of max health immediately and the rest over a 10 second window) and a 5 second cooldown while removing the need to holster ones weapon to use them. Replace with some sort of "booster" that maybe increases running speed or gives a temporary boost in total health, with the later having the caveat that the additional health is subtracted from your actual health when the buff wears off (think of it as being able to block out a certain amount of pain for a little bit).

Number 2 is t he biggest one. By removing that immediate return of all health its no longer possible to completely recover from a stupid mistake just by using a medkit, yet they would still remain very useful in a close situation.
  4. DemonicTreerat

Tracks yes, but it doesn't actually display that right off the bat and people tend to only notice what is right in their face. Sad yes, but that is human nature for you.

Personally I wonder why there isn't a directive chain with associated goodies focused solely on heals, revives, ammo resupplies, enemies detect & spotted, etc. Yes they're present but they're spread out through a number of other chains and gated behind needing to get so many kills with specific weapon types. Which as one who PTFO's its a pain to garner at a decent pace when I'm constantly using the support abilities to keep my squad in the fight whenever the bullets aren't flying right at me, while all around the HA's and LA's are able to focus entirely on kills and often grabbing that last bullet on the opponent I knocked 50%+ of the health off of.

At the very least it should be xp earned by (kills/ vehicles destroyed/ etc) instead of so we can progress with assists and not having to be vultures who in the worst case hold our fire until the last possible moment to be assured of the killing blow.
    • Up x 1
  5. OldMaster80

Ribbons are a nice exception, but they are not enough. Once you get the daily bonus nothing remains. We must get to the point where players can feel they did a great job even if they died 10 times, killed none, but they healed and revived 50 players. What they see instead if they check the stats tab is they are at the very bottom.

Current stat tab just reduces the game to a mere deathmatch. No surprise Medic is not ao popular.
    • Up x 2
  6. FateJH

It's not like you stop getting ribbons.
    If you really can't find a sense of accomplishment after doing that, you can't possibly be playing the game correctly according to your own standards.
  7. Halkesh

I agree with your idea to change Shield Recharging Device into a beacon that create a "stronghold" rather than a "place C4 here" sign.
    But I don't agree with the details on resistance, I think it should be high enough to allow infantry to avoid most OHK and resist a bit more to bullet, but it shouldn't allow them to soak up damage like a MAX does.
    Overall, the Shield Recharging Device should cause some trouble to enemy team but shouldn't make the fight impossible to win just by itself.

Basically, you wants sidegrade of the medical applicator so medic can be more versatile ? For sure I want that !
    What do you think about these concept ?
    -Guardian medical applicator. Allow to recharge target's shield as it was health. Also increase target's survavibility by giving him extra-health/overshield, a few resistance or due to an increased healing rate. XP from heal-assist is increased to 20 (from 5) while equipping this medical applicator.
    -Assault medical applicator. Merge your medical applicator in your primary weapon so you can instantly switching to your primary weapon from medical applicator and vice versa.
    -Dragging medical applicator. Drag ally body to the medic until it hit it's feet.[/quote]
  8. DIGGSAN0

Medic could be a better Support....like giving temporary buffs to people.

Something like (just throwing some ideas here):
    -Faster Ability reload
    -No screenshake
    -No Scopesway
    -Faster Reload

The buffs could be get done by a special techy grenade or an AoE Ability like the Healing.
  9. TR5L4Y3R

you don't make a class more appealing through nerfing another

also HA's are fine as a general easy to play gruntclass
    so of course you see them the most ..
  10. TR5L4Y3R

sry for multiposting but engineers have access to turrets, ammopacks and the most explosive options .. so there are enough reasons to play that class besides repairing ... the biggest problem for the engineer is mobility and having to remain stationary when using turrets but its generall killpotential with turrets and ammopacks is infinite you need to position yourself well though .. what the engineer may make use of could be a adrenalinepump .. i play more engineer than heavyassault simply because i can have a save kill using stickies or using avmines against vehicles ..well placed AI turrets can also bring a good amount of kills ... and with both being able to cert into the avturret and antimatterialrifle the engineer becomes a monster in engaging armored targets it's just as said that the engineer loses his mobilty using turrets ...
  11. Vanapapi

I'm not sure I would agree with medic being too unappealing and whatnot.

Start by leading more public platoons in order to give people the reason for playing medic more often. More often than not, people will not play medic because it's rather useless from a 1-man-army perspective. Sure, you'll revive that random guy who died on it's way to the capt... Oh, nvm, the guy just redeployed.

**** it, actually, start by understanding the "problem" instead.
  12. Ziggurat8

There was a stat tracking site that was run by The Swarm or something like that (shut down more than a year ago). It had top 100 players score per hour, day, week, month, top kills, top healing, top repairs etc.

It was interesting that there was a guy named IHealStuff that was always in the top 15, usually #1. Day in and day out. He ran repair sunderers and mained a Medic. Almost never had top kills but his score per hour was almost untouchable(even after they normalized score, boosts used to effect your stats)

It was awesome being able to see your stats compared to other players like that. I broke the top 10 kills per hour and score per hour a few times and was very proud (was still a newbie felt like winning. I miss that. There's nothing to compare anywhere for PS4 except score/kills on the base capture stats) It didn't display KDR except on your actual character stats.

I think something like that could really help. IHealStuff wasn't a great kill ***** KDR padder but he was one of the best players I've ever seen and his score always showed it. I remember playing with him and surviving many a battle because of his clutch rep sundy plowing in blocking a shot meant for me and bringing me back from the brink. Or him hanging behind the front lines just picking up deaders over and over and over like a machine.

I don't know if he did it for the prestige of being the highest score player on the leaderboards or not but he was famous on the server because of it. After TheSwarm stopped tracking that stuff he either quit playing or has faded into obscurity because I don't see him anymore 8(

As a competitive PvP game there really should be more standards of success than I killed X guys before I died. Heck I think KPM is a better stat than KDR. 60 kills in 3 hours with 0 deaths vs 200 kills with 200 deaths in 3 hours...who is more successful? Or IHealStuff who could top the score charts with mostly support points...
  13. The Shady Engineer

Medics need more toys to play around with, preferably ones that change how the class is played. Engineers are objectively the weakest class in the game for infantry combat yet are a very popular class, 2nd most popular according to a reddit post by a ps2alerts dev. Now obviously vehicle drivers skew the numbers but still pretty impressive for the weakest infantry class.

So why are engineers so popular? We have a lot of cool stuff in our arsenal. I mean we get 3 different turrets, one of which is automated, a deployable cover, the anti MAX rifle, access to both anti personnel and anti tank mines, ammo packs, 2 second faster shield recharge and the repair tool. So you have a lot of versatility here that cater to a lot of play styles.

Medics are more of a one trick pony. You have a really good primary weapon and you can revive. That's it. And while we all know how important reviving is in this game and how a well timed rez grenade can single handedly turn a fight around, it's hard to sell such a one dimensional class to your average planetman.

The planned forward station for medics is definitely a step in the right direction.
  14. DIGGSAN0

You need an Engineer to Rep:
    Generators
    Scu's
    Vehicles (Air and Ground)
    Max-Units

Providing ammo (Meanwhile there is a Ammoprinter)

However the Medic is "just" needed to Revive an Heal....which Healing us optional. There are Restokits,Medikits,Imolant and even a Basebonus which provides Autoheal...so nobody really has to need a Medic
    • Up x 1
  15. Acheron16

Remove Medkits, keep Restoration kits. Medic instantly more relevant without making people too dependant on them. Not that it matters because Medkits are a terrible design choice anyway. If you get to the point where you need to restore health, you should be ducking out and recovering shields anyway, which means that restoration kits and Regen fall in line with it.

By extension, Heavy assault also becomes slightly less prevalent since they now have less durability, which is also a much needed change (a huge amount of players are HA)

Without healing, Medics only have a single useful ability (Reviving) since their Shield Regen Fields are borderline trash and their AoE Heal is ok but rarely is useful since, well, Medkits exist. Too many times I turn on my AoE heal or pull out my medigun only to find out the guy used a medkit anyway, since he probably even forgot that Medics exist.
    And with only those underwhelming abilities they feel incredibly bland and unrewarding, literally just a common foot-soldier.
  16. Acheron16

The barrier really should have been given to Medics. Engineers already have more than enough buildables (and everyone builds Auto-Turrets anyway) while medics have bland and underwhelming abilities (AoE Healing or super-slow Shield Regen). The only thing they have for them is the ability to revive and Assault Rifles. That's it.
  17. The Shady Engineer

If it were up to me I'd give it to both classes.
  18. Acheron16

Let it worded in another way, HA have:
    - Weapons with large magazines, high fire-rate, good accuracy when in short bursts, good damage
    - Overshields that literally give them extra health, allowing them to win most 1v1s (or even more if they play versus bads or with Adrenaline Shield) which is as close to an "I win" button as the game gets
    - The ability to threaten vehicles and to throw more than one explosive with their launcher (basically they have 8 grenades)
    - With implants, they became independent of Engineers, gaining the ability of making ammo over time (luckily Engies have other uses)
    - WIth Medkits, they gained to ability to heal themselves, making the Medic entirely useless, being relegated to a reviver and nothing else.
    - The only thing they don't have is extreme range (like Infiltrators) and mobility (like LA), which is pretty niche compared to the general strengths they have

So you have a class that has all these strengths, little to no weaknesses, that is vastly overplayed and you want to tell us that they're in an ok place?

If they were shot down a peg or two, other classes could be brought up, given that they would be less niche since the all-rounder would be less strong, making more room for them.
  19. TR5L4Y3R

lmg´s with the worst hipfire and ads cone of fire of all primary automatic weapons
    overshields that slow them down significantly that headshooting becomes easier (which ignore the shield)
    indeed they can threaten a vehicle (so can engineers with mines and AVturret and c4 fairies) but any vehicle is easily cabapable to kill a HA
    any ammopack fills up the ammo of any infantry faster than using ammoprinter even at level 5
    medkits are limited and also cost nanites and even then a HA can´t revive himself
    a medic won´t ever need medkits or regenkit when using selfhealability

so yes they are in a ok place .. again it´s not about the HA .. it´s about the other classes needing a buff or more intresting tools

give the engineer more turretvariety (something akin to the faction traits like the heavyweapons or es rocketlauncher f.e) and make them at least capable of taking two tankshots
    give the medic its own AV primary ( a midrangegrenadelaunche f.e.) so he has different loadouts for different situations .. like do you ever see a medic in open field when vehiclebattles happen? me neither so he should get some stuff that allows him to be there and not just an inhouseoption
    give infils a kind of AV grenade or the AV grenade of the heavy
    LA is also fine imo
    suddenly every class has a degree of dealing with armor ..
    • Up x 1
  20. LordKrelas

Ammo Printer at max rank, is 60 seconds per clip, aka 1 rocket a minute.
    You'll be useless firing 1 rocket a minute, so an Engineer is a lot better.

Medkits, at best have 4 uses. 4 nanite costing uses, that need a terminal or death to re-supply.
    The implant at least works constantly, Medkits do not.

Also, LMGs, burn through ammo easily.
    As well, you just insulted Grenades by calling rockets grenades.
    And that's assuming it's an Anti-vehicle grenade - not a concussion or frag.
    Both of which have a larger blast radius, and more effect when not dead centered on infantry.

So, Heavy Assault, not quite accurately represented.
    But yeah the Overshield is usually a crutch.

If they were 'shot down', you'd have to consider that depending on what you blasted off:
    • No class capable of tanking enough rounds long enough to storm a room.
    • No class with cheap emergency AV.
    • No class that is adaptive solely in killing power.
    It's a cookie-cutter.

Remove medkits, not as bad; But not on the grounds that they replace medics.
    As I don't recall a Medic that has 4 uses, costs nanites, and can't revive or shoot.

Scramble Ammo; And you basically doom any HA from firing.
    An LMG unless firing singular bullets into heads burns through Ammo.
    Rocket Launchers need nearly all but 1 rocket for a single target.

Remove Overshield: And nothing can storm a room beyond a Max.
    Nor hold a Room by absorbing bullets, without a Max - Which is vulnerable to C-4 & rockets.
    And needs 1 Engineer, 1 Medic, just to properly operate one without it going down hard after the first time.
    * If NC, you'll also likely need it to be a doorway, with a medic spamming the revive tool from as far as possible.

But really, Do we need vehicles to not be threatened by multiple explosives?
    Not even C-4 works alone, so lol at that.

Rather than hit down a class to make others look better.
    Try making those classes look better first.
    As if they require another to be shot, just to be looked at: The problem is with that class, not the one you want to shoot.
    • Up x 1