How the Nvidia circuit board camo came to life.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ICaseyI, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ICaseyI

For all that doesn't know it. Currently Nvidia gives out a code for Planetside2, when you buy a new graphics card.
    American users get 5000SC. European users aren't that lucky. They get a "Premium Gear package", which includes an "exclusive" weapon, camo (infantry, weapon, vehicle) and some 7-day boosts. All should be worth 5000SC. Today I redeemed my code. I wasn't expecting much, but I am still pretty shocked about the camo. I though it little about how this camo could have made it in the game. If you don't want to read it, just skip to the end for some suggestions. Also I'm not a native speaker, so it just might sound horrible and plain.

----------

Not to long ago in the Planetside2 office. It was an other late evening again and Higby and Tramell had a couple of beers and took a stroll down memory lane. They were laughing about anecdotes from the easy time, when Planetside2 was still in development. All was nice till they received an Email from Marketing.

"Hi Guys. We have a problem. We can't give out Station Cash with in Europe with the Nvidia promo package. We discussed that and decided to give out an exclusive weapon, same camo (Nvidia themed, infantry, weapon & vehicle). We need it tomorrow till noon for some screenshots to send it out to Nvidia. Have a nice evening. Greets"

Higby: "****"
    Tramell: "I hate these marketing guys!"
    Higby: "Me too. I can't come in tomorrow morning."
    Tramell: "Me neither. We need to do it now."
    Higby: "Damn, I'm already late for Poker." (Grats for winning at the weekend by the way)
    Tramell: "It will be fast. You do the _exclusive_ weapon and the boots. I will do the camo."
    They both go to their desks.

At Higby's desk:

Higby: "_Exclusive_ weapon!? How should I create a new weapon. Ah damn it. Just rename some weapon, thats exclusive enough. Is it my fault, that they live on the wrong continent?!."
    *Higby rolls some dice a couple of time*
    Higby: "Ok its the Zepher. Now some _exclusive_ name ... Zephidia ... no ... lets just call it 'Zepher PX' ... PX for 'Pretty eXclusive' ...
    *Higby clicks together the new weapon and puts it together with the some boosts into a new package.*

Meanwhile at Tamrell's desk:

Tamrell: "Nvidia themed ... *think* ... they do so electornics computer stuff, right?!"
    *Some minutes of picture search at google and a beer later*
    Tamrell: "Lets do some nerdish circuit board camo."
    *click* *click* *paint* *paint* *click* *click*
    Tamrell: "Ok Infantry done. Looks funny but i like funny ... "*thinks about the cool VS hover dance 'walk'-animation*
    Tamrell: "Ah just take the same camo also for weapon and vehicle, I don't want to create something else tonight."
    *click* *click*
    Highby: "Tamrell, how far are you?"
    Tamrell: "Just approval left".
    Tamrell: "Senior Art Approval? - Checked, Its my work, of cause I approve it you stupid workflow!"
    Tamrell: "Creative Director Approval? Higby you approve, right?"
    Highby: "Tonight I approve everything! *hic*"
    Tamrell: "Ok ... checked."
    Tamrell: "QA approval? - They are not in any more. So no complains, which means that it is approved. Checked!"
    Tamrell: "All done! You can add it to the package!"

------

I'm pretty sure it didn't happened how I wrote, but how did the camo made it through the approval process. It just looks horrible.

1. It has literally no camouflage. Besides may be invoke eye chancer, which leads to blindness.
    2. @Art department: Where is your self respect as artits? It completely doesn't fit into the game artistically.
    3. In close up it the vehicle camo pixelated, but is maybe intended.

Please take it out and give the nvidia package some other random camo. The current camo is maybe something for carneval or any other costume party. For me the package is a fail, luckily I bought my new graphics card first and than saw the promotion, otherwise I would be pretty disappointed, so its more or less just funny.
    I have just one wish. When you do something like that again, please find a way to give SC to the european users. The other games in the nvidia promotion can do it too.
    What do you think about the nvidia camo?

Screenshots:
    - Medic
    - Vanguard
    - Galaxy

PS: @Higby and Tamrell: I'm sorry if i offended you.
    • Up x 2
  2. RankWinner

Psshh, I'd take anything, I somehow managed to buy my 670 right after they ended the promo giving away Hitman and Borderlands 2, but before the same give-away started again. My timing is brilliant.
  3. NaySayer

Never saw that camo till now... never complaining about the standard no-camo again lol
  4. cicero8

that camo is HILARIOUS. id want it, just for the ***** and giggles. i know some guys in my outfit that would roll their sundys with that lol.

And honestly i bought a gtx690 3 weeks before this promo. i wish i got the 5000 SC lol. but oh well. atleast you got something :p
  5. BenYeeHua

6. Sobieski14

Aw man, I want it!
    :eek:
  7. TomaHawk

PS2 meets TRON.

No thanks.
  8. ICaseyI

Too bad they moved it "Technical Support". Its not really a technical problem ...
  9. BenYeeHua

Yup, it only has some relation with technical.
  10. Avail

I would buy that armor. It looks funny.
  11. BenYeeHua

Yup, look at your camo and forgot to shoot.:D
  12. SmileyBomb

At least make the helmet a capacitor and the shoulders resistor shape. Go big or go home!

But honestly... that's awful. Like, really...really...really bad.

Thanks for sharing!
  13. ICaseyI

Damn along the way "Tramell" changed "Tamrell" and seems I can't edit the post any more.

Currently I'm thinking about actually using the camo because it looks so bad that it's actually funny. Maybe the enemys miss more often because they laughing.
  14. BenYeeHua

Only in short time like one week, so just use it now.:D
  15. ICaseyI

I've gave the package a little more thought. These package are normally designed to reward customers.

Currently it feels more I've been played. I should have tried to trick the NVIDIA website into thinking I'm from the US. Maybe I would have got an other code that would have given me the SC instead of the "premium gear package". But I was an idiot were a nice customer who filled out the form correctly. Instead of increasing my affiliation to the game the frustrating "promo" package reduced it. :(

For me the boosts and the Zepher is like giving rain coats to people in central africa.
  16. IamSalvation

I like it on my Vanu.... fits Vanu but i understand that it does not fit well with NC and TR....

Oh and on Vehicles i love it, looks great!

As for Zepher PX its nOT just the same weapon!
    It has lot less Bulletdrop, more like the old Zepher befor the nerf!
    It feels like a HEAT Version of the Zepher like HE and Heat guns on Tank... faster bullet, less splash, more dmg with direct hits.
    • Up x 1
  17. X3Killjaeden

I tried, but the reward is determined by the code, not the country you select on nvidia when redeeming it...
    The first 4 Letters of each Code for EU are "FPEU" - free 2 play, EU. Pretty obvious. There follow about 25 things after that, so the chance of guessing a valid code are about nill ^^

Are you sure that this is not just some kind of placebo effect? A 'scientific' test would be required to proof that, until then i assume it is a carbon coby (minus barrel length) of the Zepher, like the NS-11 Platinum/Silver (right?) vs the standard NS-11
  18. Gary

Another Example of the EU customers getting something completely different and unrelated.... NS-11 from the cards in the US cannot be claimed in the EU since the cards do not exist, Most of the little competitions i have seen run require you to live in the US. Now £33 worth of station cash for the US to spend on what you see fit or like. In the EU, Dump them with some camo and boosts and a Zephyr, NO choice in the matter what so ever, Why not just give them a code that allows 1 unlock of camo for Vehicle, Weapon and Armor and a code that allows 1 weapon to be unlocked.

If the Zephyr PX is different in some way people will complain that it is unfair if it is better in any single way. It either has to be a skinned/modeled clone of the Zephyr or later down the line become available for anyone removing the exclusivity of the item in the first place.
  19. IamSalvation

I just played with both of them again and it is not the same weapon for sure.
    I am Pilot most of the time, but 2 of my Gunners confirm this too, it has less Drop, does less splash.
  20. Luewen

What? I live in EU and if id buy 660 Ti or above card i would get a coupon for SC worth 75€ from NVIDIA.