How "Sky Knights" in planetside behave.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GlobeMaster, May 2, 2017.

1. GlobeMaster

2. DeadlyOmen

I read three posts.

If the devs are getting their development ideas from reddit, then it all makes sense now.
    • Up x 7
  3. Tankalishious

Lulz. Well, im all honesty im with paffdaddy here. The term skyknight is being abused heavily.
    A skyknight has some honor to his name, acts with a bit of chivalry and are polite and will answer you(and grant you) if you ask them about anything from a day of cease fire, to a duel. They prefer weapons of skill(noseguns only) and are pretty damn good at what they do.
    I know plenty of these skyknights, they are amongst the most honourable players in the game. People hate them for the most part because they will wipe the skies of most opposition and dominate players taking to the skies. But seriously, just talk politely to them, they are nice people!
  4. LaughingDead

Not a surprise. I've had "skyknights" call me out on 2v1ing when teaching new flyiers. Camping at warpgates, threatening new flyiers that use AI to learn, it's rather cancerous and disgusting, but nah our main issue is libs 1 shot ESFs and tanks need nerfs against infantry and planes shouldn't use missiles to kill infantry either right? Because it's not like getting into vehicles without everyone on the planet calling you a noob or scumbag for stepping into a tank or plane or using allied flak lines to keep you in the air so you can learn right?

I gotta say if all the skyknights are on reddit complaining about coyote mobs, tomcat mobs, lib 1 shots then no ******* wonder the devs are so out of touch with the actual playerbase.
  5. ObiVanuKenobi

This forum is way worse.
    Nobody complained about Dalton 1hitting esfs, there were multiple threads complaining about the change and how it should remain as is because it requires skill. Pretty sure i've seen such a thread here though.
  6. GlobeMaster

Ok, lets play a little game. Can you spot what is wrong with the above post....there are two hints
    • Up x 6
  7. Tankalishious

Well, i have nothing but good experiences with the skyknights of cobalt(wich hands down has the best pilots in the game).
    Maybe i get away with more because i don't act like a ***** arsehole ingame, but act polite and know this is just a game and nothing serious?
    The term skyknight is being used and abused. Simple as that.
    As it reflects on the original term "knight" and thus invoves some traits linked to a knight, not everyone fit that term. You can be a good pilot, but still a ***** **** in game, and then you dont fit the criterias.
  8. Direlithe

Must be how the term whiteknight was coined..
  9. MasterOhh

Hmm, the term "sky knight" allways had a more ironical connotation for me. I associate it with all those flyboys who claim to do only honoburu nosegun A2A circle jerks, while in truth they are busy with farming A2G like everyone else.
    Lol, I never knew that there are ppl who use that term with a positive meaning in mind.
    • Up x 8
  10. GlobeMaster

LOL Are you kidding me? The term skyknight is being abused heavily? This is nothing more then you acting like a Special Snowflake.

The term Skyknights in planetside is not a complement. It is used to describe arrogant mid to low tier pilots who try to force other players to play by their arbitrary set of rules that benefit them and no one else. It is a way of them trying to hold on to control/power.

You are missing the point. Having a cease fire for a day is not good. If you want a cease fire then go on that players faction. In the long run No Shoot Agreements hurts the overall game play. If you did that during a game of paintball, not shooting at the other team player because you know him, you would get your a s s kicked out of there so fast.

Tell your friends about the new hashtag.

#SkyKnightSpecialSnowflake

lol
    • Up x 4
  11. Liewec123

soo, skyknights are scum?
    more surprising news: grass is green. :D
    • Up x 2
  12. zaspacer

Well, I knew there were some people who used the term with a warped, self-obsessed, un-self-aware, self-serving, arbitrary, shifting, narrow minded meaning for their clique in mind. And that they felt this constituted a positive meaning.
  13. LordKrelas

While others have covered this, they did miss one lovely little bit;

For every Skyknight cease-fire between opposing sides... you have less AA aircraft actually guarding your side from enemy AG aircraft, as the AA aircraft have a ceasefire, which completely demolishes the established Aircraft \ Pilot Idea that they preach to those on the ground: Rely on aircraft to kill aircraft.

After all, most Pilots say pull an ESF to kill an ESF, or to rely on allied aircraft.
    If friendly aircraft literally are in a ceasefire towards enemy aircraft, They are useless.
    It also means, said Pilots will not help allied aircraft being slaughtered by said ESFs nor any ground targets from said ESFs.

While you are dueling, aircraft elsewhere are literally nuking every single thing on the ground without mercy.
    People hate them, as they often either ignore allies, ignore enemies nuking the ground due to truces, or duel all day rather than stop GA Aircraft... while preaching about Lock-ons being the Devil, to rely on aircraft to Kill aircraft, and what now.

I generally dislike them, as rarely do I see friendly air-support - And when I do, I have to pray it actually fights the enemy aircraft.
    The ones that aren't on my side, I have to hope don't get obsessed when I hit them with whatever weapon is available while they chew through ground targets.

TR mossies, I have found are often very persistent in stalking bases for hours, if any fire is returned towards them.
    Not counting any Lock-on incidents.
  14. Direlithe

Well, that came out of left field.
  15. JobiWan

I dislike 'Skyknights' or indeed any player that tries to force others to play the game in a certain with imaginary rules or 'honour codes'. The game is a sandbox game, meant to be played however you like.

I had one rage tell me a few days ago because I dared to fire a few Swarm rounds at him. He told me to stop being a noob and people like me were ruining the game etc yada yada yada.

If I see an enemy aircraft and I have an AA loadout, I will shoot at it, regardless of whether the pilot thinks I should.
    • Up x 4
  16. Jamuro

The whole skyknight thing in this thread aside i think i can answer your "questions".
    And maybe a different perspective can help you with what i consider some quite common misconceptions (altough they point out quite well some old and important issues the game has)

1. the cease fire/duel thing
    First of all it's not as common as people claim it is.
    That out of the way, honestly it's to be expected.
    To explain ... there aren't usually a lot of people that main esfs/libs and combined with the fact that q spotting is a thing you very quickly start to remember people you tend to see during your play sessions and how you fare against them.

My point is with the exception of someone "new" and polite asking to get a chance to practise against someone closer to his current level, skyknights usually don't do cease fires, rather than just avoid certain people.

The same way, you aren't always in the mood to fight at the same base or against the same outfit, skyknights aren't always in the mood to fight certain people.
    Now i agree that this can be problematic sometimes, but usually this sort of deal only happens between people that dedicate their time ti a2a fighting anyways and usually doesn't include groundpounders.

2. the important point: why you don't see friendly air support
    Location Location Location.
    It's as simple as that ... no realy.
    The majority of people on the ground fight in and around bases and the choke points that lead to them ... A2A pilots DON'T.

The sad truth is that it's very problematic to fight in an a2a esf in close proximity to bases with fights that people on the ground pick.
    Once you are in an a2a fight against another esf, it's usually a do or die situation and even worse it's out in the open (where you can actually manouver around).
    That usually means it's very risky to do this in the vicinity of an ongoing battle.

3. why the guy lolpodding you doesn't seem to have to fear your factions a2a support
    Like i mentioned above, the majority of a2a hunting is done via intercepting the incoming esfs/libs on their way either to or from the fight.
    Once the groundpounders are entrenched the whole thing cascades and gets realy bad real quick.

A simplified example to hopefully illustrate what i mean.

One a2g esf/lib arrives and starts shelling one side on the ground of an otherwise completly even fight.
    Now the side with the groundpounder is under less pressure and gains momentum.

That means more people can be taken out of the groundfight to react to any incoming skyknight looking to hunt down their a2g support.

Finaly more and more a2g esfs will show up for that side (since now it's actually quite a bit saver).
    That doesn't even require any communication, it's just a case of seeing other a2g esfs in the area and joining the herd.

And voila you now have a base that desperatly needs some a2a cleanup, but can't directly get it due to the fact that well it needs it ;)

Hope this explains why no skyknight is coming to your aid (at least in a way you can see from the ground)
  17. Hajakizol

If AA was effective skyknights would not be a problem. Air does not need ground superiority to be effective and get kills on ground targets so why should ground need air to kill air. That is why skyknights are hated.. the double standard.
  18. LaughingDead

No, skyknights are hates because they are frustratingly annoying to fight as a new flyer, obnoxious 95% of the time simply talking to them and want nothing else to do but kill new fliers. They also have ceasefires on each other so that even when you see friendly air, you can't count on them being an ally, like a medic not healing or reviving you, an engie not repping you, a infil not putting spotters down, an etc etc. AA keeps them out of the fight, nothing is frustrating about that.

Also what double standard? If the enemy only pulls AA is that ground superiority? If I had all banshee mossys, is that air superiority? I can tell you right now that aircraft do not want to operate near flak turrets that can actually aim.
  19. LaughingDead

TKing is not cool. I don't follow xoniq on his TR just to kill him in spawn as a heavy.

I do it as NC.
  20. GlobeMaster

Well well well, that is interesting. SoljVS came into this thread and made a post admitting he changed factions to TeamKill and now those posts are missing as well as my post quoting SoljVS.

So it looks like a Mod came in here and deleted SoljVS post and my post and others quoting it. Kind of strange.

Would the Mod care to explain why this was done?
    • Up x 3