How much "power" do game moderators have?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Scan

Maybe abit of a long read, but bear with me, It's quite a story.

By how much power, I mean.... what can they do ingame, as it is playing out to "physically" influence certain incidents to affect players and/or the enviroment, and to what extent are they allowed to use this "power" to intervene?

This might seem like an odd question, but something very strange happened to me a couple of weeks ago, that I just can't wrap my head around, which is a true shame I don't have a recording of.

Now, I'm the type of player, that most enemy players have come to love to hate. When I'm not in an operation with my outfit, I'm the type of Infiltrator that likes using a supressed bolt-action rifle with a 12x scope, as close to the enemy as I can, without being spotted, until I racked up a substantial ammount of kills.

I use rocks, bushes, ledges, trees, and the correct camo to blend into my enviroment, and try to make it my goal to get as many one shot kills as I can, without giving the enemy any idea where I am shooting them from, and I've grown quite adept at it. (hence the recent Infiltrator camo nerfs I suppose)

So it was at Tarwich Techplant, during a large scale battle. Atleast 200 NC laying siege to it, bunching up behind rocks, firing rockets at tanks, slowly trying to advance into the main facility. It was out in the open field where there was a lone bush, that offered me a perfect line of sight over a large group of NC soldiers that were camping behind a large rock.

Their numbers seemed endless, and whilst sitting in that bush, I managed to get headshot, after headshot, after headshot, and another headshot on the ones who got revived, right after I headshotted the medic that revived him. I was on a roll, near perfect accuracy, and having the game session of my life, literally making almost every bullet count.

Then, and I swear on my first born son, this is what happened.

As I looked down my scope, preparing to next shot, I suddenly moved a good 10 meters to the left, out of the bush that was keeping me hidden, and out in the open field for all to see. At first I thought I was hit by a vehicle, but there was no vehicle in sight, neither enemy, nor friendly.

Yet, "something" physically (but apparantly invisible) pushed my character out of cover, ofcourse resulting in myself being immediatly spotted, and shot as I frantically tried getting back in cover whilst wondering what the hell just happened.

So... to get back to where I started: Because what I think what happened is: I got reported for cheating, as I often do (because I am apparantly very good at sniping), the GM investigating monitored me abit (I know for a fact they can watch along and see what you see on your screen) and decided I had enough fun, and give me a friendly "nudge" to help out the poor sods I was farming.

Now... I have no proof for this. But as said, I swear this is what happened, I've had it only happen once.

Is it possible this could have happened as I described? Do GM's have that ability?

And if so, how do people feel about this GM intervening the way he did and getting me killed? (I'm quite sure he must have been laughing hard as I jumped up and down as though something just bit my in my ***)
  2. Zombekas

Did you actually just assume the "nerfs" were implemented because of YOU?

Holy ****, the ego o_O
    • Up x 2
  3. Scan

errrr....no.... I'm asuming I'm not the only infiltator doing this, and neither the only infiltrator that is getting reported for cheating because of this. It's possible that this is one of their reasons to take a look at making Infiltrators abit easier to spot while they are wearing camo.
  4. IamDH

I don't really think a GM would do that to someone. Lag sometimes makes you teleport

I once got teleported into another base
    • Up x 1
  5. Tommyp2006

Could have been a big lag spike causing a large amount of packet loss all at once. I really doubt a GM would do something like that, if they even could.
  6. Scan

Well.... that is what I am wondering.

You see, I've spent many, many hours playing this game, and have been in quite a few situations that are similar to what I described above, but I've never had lag just conviently "push" me to the left side the way it did. This was an "on itself" incident. Apart from that one time, it has not happened again since.

This incident took place a good few weeks ago, and I just thought about it again this evening. And thought I'd bring this to here. (at the risk of being called an idiot.) :) "Was I lagging out?" was one of the first things that popped in my mind after thinking "WTF?"

Lag has the tendency to affect everything around you, this felt diffrent. It was exactly like you would be pushed aside by a solid object like a tank, or other vehicle. It was all too coïncidental. If it was packet loss, or other connection related issues, I would have probably recognized it as such, and it would have happened more often.

Anyhow, since it happened only once, and no one else seemingly has experienced something similar, or seems to believe a GM would do something like that, I suppose all I have is an interesting story, and no clear answer to what it was. :)
  7. MasonSTL

lol "Damn it Scotty! Quit smoking the marijuana!"
    • Up x 3
  8. IamDH

Lol :D
  9. tproter

I knew you were a hacker when you said you used the "correct camo" in PS2. There is no such thing.
  10. Scan

Well there is now for NC infiltrators!

No camo at all, because the other stuff clashes with the baby blue hotpants! :rolleyes:
  11. SkyMarshalRed

They deffiently have the power to move players. I was harassing some players who shot me on purpose several times (friendly fire). After they killed me I followed them around and was spamming taunts. So apprently they PMed a moderator and he messages me something like "hello, this is GM _______, I see you are harrasing ________" and I didnt reply. So he moved me about 10m away from the player I was harassing but I imediatly ran right back up to this guy and continued spamming taunts. So the mod moved me again and I ran up to the guy again. Anyways, after that happened a few times the mod actuallu moved me into the middle of nowhere on Esamir. When I say middle of nowhere, I mean he moved me to the middle of the continent with the nearest base being several hunder meters away lol. I learned my lesson and no longer spam taunts, to friendly players at least ;P
    • Up x 1
  12. Van Dax

I don't know. Vegeta, what does the scouter say?
  13. RobotNinja

Quite obviously a lagspike. Blaming a GM on you mysteriously teleporting 10 feet away is just silly.
  14. Regpuppy

You're right. The "man" is out to get you, bro. Spread the truth, OP. All these dudes dissing you were brainwashed by big brother, man.

[IMG]
  15. FlR3

and remember it's puff puff pass, puff puff pass
  16. SkyMarshalRed

[IMG]
  17. Bill Hicks

The power of grayskull
  18. Scan

I'm not paranoid. I'm not pulling this story out of my ****, not some random noob who just started playing this game, not someone who makes up stories just to get attention, and not a 12 year old kid who has no clue about how lag can affect your gameplay.

What I wrote is what happened. I can tell the diffrence between a lagspike/packetloss, and something that has nothing to do with lag, since I've been playing online FPS games for over 15 years. (225 mps wasn't uncommon)

So far I only seen SkyMarshalRed writing about something similar (thanks), though most just seem out to ridicule what I wrote, because their stretch of imagination doesn't go beyond the small bubble they live in.

Skymarshals' post is affirming that it was in fact possible that my suspicions could be correct. That's all I needed to know.

I'm finding the ammount of people coming here instantly degrading someone who is telling a genuine story to a liar, an idiot, or a hacker, rather disturbing. Such an awesome community we have!

Just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean that it's impossible.
  19. DeadliestMoon

I've never had a run in with a game moderator, but these site mods are pretty quick on the draw when it comes to taking down one of my posts. Which is crazy because there's only really two things I do here and that's either derail bad ideas or defend the devs from some unruly, irrational gamer.
  20. IamDH

No one ever called you paranoid or a liar.

The possibility of a GM moving you outside your bush for the lulz is pretty minimal

Lag seems more realistic of an explanation. Who knows? Maybe he did push you, not really much you can do about it. Its best to move on