How I feel after the bizarre claymore nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by {joer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. {joer

TR Claymores: Reduced inner blast radius by 1.5 meters. Reduced outer blast radius by 1 meter. Increased inner damage by 25 points.

Being the Claymore is the least useful of all empire specific weapons compared to its counterparts my reaction would be as follows...

I mean seriously devs, what the fark?
    • Up x 3
  2. Ranik

Yep. They ****** with the already weaker TR claymores. Showing once again that the Devs may very well have no idea what on earth they are doing.
  3. Autarkis

TR has the best AP mine. You guys are high.
  4. Ranik

I hope that was sarcasm but if not.....

Most visible / only forward firing != Best.
  5. Fafnir

Yeah right, 70 degree explosion of claymores in superior to 360 degree explosion of betties and Vanu mines.
  6. NoctD

Sorry guys - Claymores still work just as good as they used to. You just need to use them correctly... placed around blind corners, they're just totally deadly because so many people don't want to use flak armor.

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428011263288043553/killboard

Claymores are my bread and butter, when I'm not in a Prowler/Mosquito.

I know it feels weird and why most people think TR Claymores are inferior, but having done a lot of bouncing betties with my NC alt, I honestly feel my Claymore hit ratio is far better (and deadlier). 130 kills from 397 betties vs. 348 kills from 731 claymores.

While TR Claymores lack in versatility (ie. 360 degree detonation), the directional activation can be used to ensure the target is definitely going to feel the mine instead of premature detonations. I've tried hiding the betties around corners, it just doesn't work the same, some of the blast usually ends up getting masked since it goes off sooner, and the blast radius nerf should hit it far more (haven't tried out betties yet post-nerf). You actually want to place betties out in the open so something doesn't get in the way of its blast, even hiding them behind cap towers masks some of their blast.

Note I figured out Claymores sometime in Feb when I was traveling, and didn't use them much prior to that so the bulk of those kills are from recently. And yeah like everyone else, I thought NC/VS had it easy vs. our Claymores, but now, I'm totally happy with the way they are.
    • Up x 2
  7. evilduck

yes, it is...
    it allows for some clever placement where you hit the enemy hard but cant be selfhit due to staying in the deadzone...
    or in other words you can entrench yourself and create specific killzones directly in front of you.

given the claymore needs more tactical consideration, thought and creativity then the other mines, that usually only have to be placed in not so obvious places (oftentimes sacrificing a lot of killzone in the process)

example
    annoyed of this very agile la that always comes through the windows shotgunning everyone? you can place your mine in such a way that it covers the window and still standing right beside it.
  8. The Milk Man

It's just claymores lol, who the hell really uses it all the time >.> You place them on the ground and get a instant kill later on. What's the difference between then and now rofl?
  9. {joer

I can tell by reading this you never used a claymore.

Did you know they bounce a lot putting them down putting the direction wrong?

Did you know when they "render" for people they will move, making their direction wrong? (same bug that puts the other proxies under the floor and invisible).

Practically speaking in real game conditions, what you are talking about is rarely an advantage. I've seen enemies standing NEXT to my claymores, oblivious.
    • Up x 1
  10. Halcyon

TR mines were already weaker then the other two.

Why were they nerfed more? Makes 0 sense.
    • Up x 1
  11. Lazaruz

I was stunned when I read the patch notes and saw that the Claymore, the worst mine of them all, is getting nerfed the most.
    So I made a phone call, to make sure SOE gets a visit from the office panda.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  12. FateJH

13. Talizzar

I was just on my NC and could clearly see the green laser lines..........Not sure if this is new or always that way.
  14. TheBloodEagle

You know what happens when they nerf something.... new content to buy! Yaaaay,
    Sarcasm aside, I thought that nerf was strange as well, I don't think anyone complained about the TR mine being OP or anything at all compared to the other 2.
  15. {joer

Every patch some things are just mind boggling and there seems no logic to what they were thinking. I'm not going to play a skilless infantry zerg where tactics = spamming.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ganelon

That happens sometimes.
  17. Phrygen

necroing cause i love this gif, and because i cant decide on tank mines or claymores for my engi.... and i dont do that silly suicide with tank mines nonesense