How good is flash grenade?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Pikachu, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Pikachu

I think I might start playing LA soon and I'm interested in using flash grenade. Is it good enough or a waste of certs? Since concussion grenade got it's blurry vision addition I have the feeling that flash grenade is less useful than that. Blurr+slow>blind right? Tell tell tell. Btw there should be under barrel flash grenade launcher.
  2. teks

Ok, forgive the fact that i dont use them. I play LA often enough but never bought them. I can explain why at least.

Flash grenades will only blind those hit directly (what would have been a kill with a frag).
    Those outside the lethal radius will have a bright screen but its not impairing them from firing at you.
    Compared to the concussion and the frag it just lacks any punch.
    Every time an enemy flashed me i was still able to see enough to kill them. One blew up really close, but i can still make out stilletos.

Wrel uses flashes to check for enemy targets. A very creative use of the flash.
  3. Pikachu

Sounds really bad then. :L How is it used to find targets by Wrel? Is it more expensive than frag? Does the effect still go through walls? Does name triangles stay visible under the effect and does spotting work while under it?
  4. teks

Im sorry. I dont really know because i havent used them. Hopefully someone else comments about that. I was confused about wrel too but thats what he said he was using them for.
  5. ShumaKun

Flash bang is near useless, you can guess that there are guys in the room by hit markers. I don't know if the effect goes through walls now, but some time ago it was true, test it by yourself to be clear. They are really bad, even when you blind someone they still can spot you and see red marker above your head or look at mini map to see where you shoot from. You can only guess who is blinded, also explosion delay is too long. Really its a waste of certs.

Smoke granade is also near useless, because on low graphic settings... :/ just try it :(
  6. Pikachu

I have not tried smoke on low graphics but other than that I think it has use. When you need your group to pass a distance with no cover and the enemies are shooting at you.
  7. ShumaKun

Sure, but if enemy use low graphic settings they will kill you laughing hard
  8. Iridar51

I tried flash grenades a lot, and was unimpressed. What none of the posters has mentioned is delay before detonation, it is really long, like 3 to 4 seconds.

So if you peek into the room, see enemies and throw a flash at them, they might move really far before that grenade detonates.
    Effective blind radius is certainly bigger than frag grenade kill radius, but not by much.

And try to think like this: how many of your frag grenade throws actually ended up in kill? The number of blinded people will be a little bigger, that's all.
    What flash grenade lacks is reliability. People expect flash grenade to be an IWIN button if used before breaching, and it's not.

Flash grenades are not that bad, but they certainly lack something to be competitive. Try them if you wish, it's a new experience after all.
  9. Nenarch

I don't use flash when I solo play...

in team play I usually use it as we coordinate multiple grenades to break a defence.
  10. Sandpants

It's OK to throw in a room packed with people. It's difficult to say what a frag would do in that situation - might bump around in a weird way, maybe back to your face. But a flash - fire and forget.

But yeah, as most people say Flash nade is generally horrible. And a good chunk of the reason is cos our heavy counterpart yet again gets something that were meant to have, but infinitely better.
    Concussion----|----Flash
    Detonates on contact, reliable aiming -|- Long delay, can roll out of effective range
    Regardless of radius target caught get full effect -|- minor effect when caught out of effective range, which is narrow.
    Major effect impairs vision greatly and leaves affected target unable to retaliate -|- Might as well use a flashlight or ask your enemies to stare at the sun.
    Generally good sidegrade -|- Generally few people care whether they are flashed or not.
  11. MuchachoBob

I was pretty baffled by this. The wiki pages detailed that the detonation time was around 1.5 seconds. Then I used them in game, only to have targets run away from the blast most of the time. I don't understand, the concussive nade also impairs the targets vision AND hinders movement, upon impact. The flash nade should detonate upon impact aswell in order to be competitive.
  12. Iridar51

Don't agree, simply because we need the flash grenade to be able to bounce from walls. Timed detonation with 1-1.5 secs would be fine.

PS2 Wiki is full of wrong or incomplete information and shouldn't be used for anything, ever. I tried contacting their admins about it, but didn't get any response.
    • Up x 2
  13. Ganjis

The delay is indeed too long. The effect is short and falls off with distance. Combining these makes timing tricky to get a decent effect.

You will often simply alert the enemy to your imminent appearance and/or blind yourself.

Best use is suicide C4 runs on crowded rooms.
  14. Takoita

I've been on the receiving end of a voice-coordinated platoon that had two LA that knew how to use these once. The effect has been devastating.

I don't see any particular reason for you to pack them in any other situation, however.
  15. dragonwinds

Whenever I throw a grenade, A guy somehow walks out right in front of me. :(
  16. sickE87

the flash grenades was good when they first came out, but after the nerf they caught they are hardly any use for them anymore.

To go into detail. when I first got them I could throw one in a room and rush in to kill the people who were either standing still and waiting until the blinding white screen went away or the others who where running into walls hoping to get away.

now when I use them, they can see me and shoot at me without even breaking a sweat.
  17. Crackulous

Good for the 4th of July.

Yeah.

That's about it.
  18. Nehlis

I certed up to grenade bandolier 2, so I can carry 3. Then I spam them in the small biolab buildings and watch the killfeed fill up with enemy teamkills. Pretty entertaining really.
  19. HooWoo

They aren't that good, if they detonated like concussions and took out all a person's HUD then they would be useful to use.
  20. Nehlis

Yeah, they are pretty bad for their intended use. People tend to panic when blinded though. A single successful blind on an enemy HA in a crowded room is rather fun to watch, if ineffective.