How do you utilize the existing MANA turret effectively?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Exlor, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Skypoint

I've used it successfully in some assaults. Pop out of cover when a bunch of people charge at the enemy, drop the turret, go back into cover while it constructs. Pop out an man it and shoot anyone shooting at the attack force.

The problem is that once you are at the turret, a countdown begins. You are now immobile, and drawing more and more attention. At first, enemy heavies and snipers will be busy aiming at your attack troops. As the attackers die, enemy attention will come to you. Heavies will switch out to rockets, snipers will reposition to hit you from the side. So once you get on the gun and start firing, you are going to die soon.
  2. ScorpDK

with the turret pack equipped, press B to switch to the ammo pack when you got a medikit in your utility slot.
  3. GTGD

I find it very effective. It kills things fast, never runs out of ammo, takes a while to overheat, and the shield is great. Very useful to lock down an area or stifle enemy progress. People usually ignore it at first before they get ripped to shreds, then you have everyone gunning for you and often ignoring your buddies. I love them in bio labs, they're killing machines. If you have a medical backing you up its unstoppable unless they have much superior numbers or coordinated grenade spam.
  4. Ossie

I like the MANA Turret, but I don't look at it as something to rack up kills with. I look at it as a crew-served support weapon, minus the crew because it has unlimited ammo. The advantage over my carbine is that I can offer up a sustained suppressive fire. The tradeoff is that I am stationary. It works well to suppress, distract, and possibly damage enemy infantry to make getting kills easier for your buddies that are already maneuvering into close contact. It can certainly chew up enemy infantry in close up situations, but the closer you are to the action (or the more exposed you are when further away), the quicker you will get taken out.

Finding a good location is purely opportunity, both in the geography and in the flow of battle. I have been on the wrong side of turrets on several occasions, and from that vantage point I feel they are very effective when there are a limited number of avenues with which to approach them, and when they have a lot of teammates making it hard to focus on just the turrets. Once you do find that good spot, don't be afraid to leave it, because somebody will be looking for a way to take you out.
  5. Vargs

This would be okay if you could actually put them down quickly on a reliable basis. Unfortunately, half the time I find myself fighting the awful deploy mechanics, desperately strafing around trying to light it up green, only for a friendly to walk in front of me just as I hit the left mouse button, cancelling the deploy and putting it on cooldown.
  6. Gearlock

Or anyone without parkinsons who has a gun and a scope.

I play primary engineer, whats my favorite target?

Engineers in turrets. I like to play a game with them called "Guess where your head will be".

I always win that game because the answer is always the same.

I disagree with the quoted text. A turret is a great way to downgrade your gun and become immobile at the same time.

Its best use is as an object in the world you can hide behind.
  7. Gunnisson

I always put it sideways and hide behind it. Best way to use it imo.
  8. Ruvan

Assume an ideal situation, say a large generator room with only one exit.

You set it at a 45 degree (possibly more) to the door, so people have to come in to the doorway to shoot at you, hence you cannot be sniped. You also set it sufficiently far back that you have time to react to rocket launchers. The other advantage of setting it up like this is that people have to come in to the room to throw grenades at you, meaning you have time to kill them and/or react.
  9. Jokester

This thing should cost 100 infantry points and not reveal your head to snipers.
  10. Jokester

How does one "hide" behind this turret? It's almost as bad as the HA shield for visibility.
  11. Jokester

I've changed my mind. I just remembrered that my friend who is bad at games like these loves the turret. He actually survives longer in it.
  12. FreelancePanic

There's only one good use for that turret.

Alternative fire (B).
  13. IshanDeston

Not to mention a big Billboard to draw the enemies attention :) Like when you see a tank. Place some mines next to the turret, where you expect him to drive. And then place the turret. Start hosing down at the tank. Get out of the turret when they turn to you and make sure they see you scrambling. 90% they will charge after you over your mines :D
  14. Morpholine

It's useful placed on the supports under the bridges near the crown, to stop infantry trying to flank your push by sliding down the cliff.

There's few better weapons to hold down bio lab choke points.

It's deadly on the tech plant mid-roof.

Really, it's excellent when you can find the rare combination of:
    1. Target rich environment coming from a predictable location.
    2. Placement point protected from easy flanking and long range sniping.
    It's even better if that point is also difficult to hit with grenades.
  15. Goats

I've actually had some success using it as a roadblock. Once, when an enemy Sundy was barreling down towards me, I stood my ground and deployed it. One of the gunners killed me, but it hit the turret and had to wait for the wreckage to respawn, allowing some friendly HAs to kill it rather quickly.
  16. Fleabag

I don't, it's a stinking pile of manure. :mad:

You might as well save yourself the trouble and just stand about waiting for any HA, Infil', or heck anyone with a grenade to kill you, it amounts to the same thing.

Now....had they given us proper, enclosed, turrets like say....from a game called er...Planet something or other...

[IMG]
  17. ytman

I use it as a 'mounted weapon' platform for suppression and damage dealing. I don't need kills but you'd be surprised how effective it is as a suppressive fire platform. A few bullets on a target is enough to make them run for cover... a few more and you've got the shields down and your fireteam is saying "THANKS" as they finish off weak infantry.

Too many people see the turret as something like a vehicle PWN Gun... its not. Its an HMG emplacement with low damage and high vulnerability. Stay out of throwing range and your great off... have a medic behind you and you'll get revived when that pesky INFILTRAITOR comes for you.
  18. Ocelot113

This is exactly what should be their trait. You drop a portable shield that "projects" a shield. It would allow 3-5 people to hide behind and everything can pass through them but bullets, rockets, and grenades from enemies. Make it waist level so that you can crouch behind it and not be shot from people at the same level. You could also cert into it to make it like a square that hangs over so like if you wanted to use it for cover from fire above or another that would let you slap it on the front of a vehicle. Add a shield damage limit or timer and... perfect.

Totally down for that too but I'm sure that would be OP. Maybe it costs 750 infantry or mechanized points and you can only supply one at a time and then have to earn the infantry points again to buy a new one. Also make it so you have to build it first, like repairing a broken turret so you cant just pop it anywhere, but have to plan a bit for it.
    • Up x 2
  19. M4L4CH1TE

Yes!!! how do you do That? when I'm in the turret B does nothing. do I hit B while deploying? I can't seem to use the alt method to distribute ammo.
  20. Flharfh

It's terrible if you actually try to use it as it's intended. Even under optimal conditions like indoors (no snipers / vehicles) and keyholed (limited exposure to enemy fire) the CoF is still worse than your regular weapon. Best use is as portable cover aiming over the top or to block doorways. Should be a low cost cert to remove the gun and give a portable shield that takes 2x as much damage.