How did you pick your faction?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Planetdoge, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Planetdoge

So I noticed that there's been a lot of talk about TR underpop, with NC weapon buffs and TR weapon nerfs often bearing the brunt of the blame. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that weapon strength does affect empire selection, but I doubt it's the only factor involved; maybe it's not even the main one.

Anecdote: When I began the game two weeks ago, I didn't know anything about the factions' weapons; I just read SOE's brief description of their backstories and looked at their aesthetics. I thought "yay, libertarian swag" and chose NC without much hesitation. That said, I also get why people would choose VS. The TR, though, is just completely unlikeable as a fascist regime and looks the derpiest of the three (imo). Thus, it doesn't come as a surprise to me that they suffer from underpop. It would be more astounding to me if they were even with the other two factions in the first place.

In reality, it is probably some combination of sentiment, weapon strength, and other factors that is undermining the TR's population. Not every player is going to research the empires' weapons before choosing a faction, but some do. I just wonder what all y'all's thought processes were in choosing your faction, hence thread title.
  2. IamDH

You play all 3 factions and stay with the one which suits you best. Underpop and overpop shouldnt affect your decision since different servers have different populations (for an example: Mattherson gains VS pop overnight whilst Ceres has low VS pop at times). Also, [IMG] MEGA DOGE
  3. Mekeji

I picked honor, loyalty, and justice. I picked the Terran Republic. We are the only reason humans are on Auraxis and the only way there can ever be peace is if the NC and VS lay down their arms.

In the memory of Thomas Connery we will remain loyal until death. Then even in death we will be reborn to fight some more.
    • Up x 8
  4. GlueHead

I picked NC for the sake of the music!
  5. VogonPoetMaster

Looks. I started off as NC only because it was the only faction with a standard issue BASR, but couldn't take looking like I was wearing a potato sack and so restarted as TR. Vanu was never an option.
  6. AltF4Fun

fascism regime? Wait,are you saying this game has lore?
  7. Kristan

Is it necessary to create such thread like every week?
  8. PlatoonLeaderG

I choose randomly,i saw red and took them......A year later i regret my mistake
  9. Valok

I chose NC due to overall look of the armors, kickass music, and who doesnt like some freedom?

10. Iridar51

Music, color scheme and I think I've read an article on factions on PS2 Wiki. Fascist regime? Don't know where you get that stuff.
    • Up x 3
  11. Arquin

Saw the Magrider, saw the Scythe, saw the Infiltrator, saw the Lasher and the choice wasn't even hard.

Still enjoy playing VS because it feels like it fits the enviroment, even though we have guns that look like theyre made of plastic.
  12. IamDH

Well they shoot plasma so metal would just melt. Plastic is legit
  13. Arquin

Compare the guns that received a model overhaul a while back (Ursa, Corvus) to what the originals are. Or check out our "suppressors"

Some of the sloppiest models ever.
  14. Planetdoge

https://www.planetside2.com/empires?empire=tr

I'm using "fascist regime" interchangeably with "authoritarian government" in this case.

Just saying, there's a lot of talk about TR underpop when it's really something to be expected.
  15. Iridar51

Well I'm inclined to use "***" interchangeably with "your head", but I will not. I don't want mods to delete yet another of my posts =\

So your logic is that because of these two words, mentioned briefly on some obscure page, this or that side should get a population advantage / disadvantage? Not everyone thinks like you. I see nothing wrong with strict military discipline, which is required to accomplish pretty much anything. Like getting to Auraxis, hint hint.
  16. LIKE A BOSS!

Couldn't stand NC music. And Vanu and TR weapons fit me perfectly.
  17. Hatesphere

I picked VS as my main since they were the underpop on my server and I wanted to have a real challenge, not just a zerg fest. seems to have played out well so far.
  18. Meccar

I picked TR because:

a) The fact that some VS guns have Bullet Drop and others don't sounded like it'd be confusing to put up with.

b) I took one look at the NC uniform and went "Fluorescent Blue & Yellow is NOT my colour (or anyone's colour for that matter)"

And then I picked Miller because it seemed to be the only EU server with a decent TR pop. What I wouldn't give to be able to switch factions/servers/both without having to gather all my Certs all over again.
  19. LT_Latency

I look at the factions.

NC, Freedom fighting faction with High armour and High damage. I thought damn everyone will pick that faction when the game comes out so I went with TR instead.

But i had picked before the game had even started
  20. mikenzb

I tried all 3 empires and picked TR due to TR overpop at the time. I did give VS and NC a good try and they were overpopped at the time when I tried them but at the end, the striker sealed the deal... (until it got nerfed, but u know whatever)

I do want to put out there tho. I did like the idea of more bullets and faster rate of fire.