how can i STILL have cpu bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by CaliBased, May 13, 2014.

1. CaliBased

im doubtful ps4/xbox can run this game on ultra over 40fps.

overclocked my cpu to 4. that seemed to keep me above 40fps almost always which was nice. turned smoothing off which gave me fps peaks of 120.

would adding more ram to my computer help? and in regards to that, are these 2 rams compatible?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233349
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

so far today my graphics driver crashed once and had 1 client crash over a 2 hour straight period of play. FPS was good tho during that time.
  2. BoomBoom4You

bad / lazy software architecture.
    • Up x 1
  3. Udnknome

Doubtful, unless you aren't running PS2 on a SSD and plan on moving it to a ramdisk. SSD has better gains per $$ than buying 16gb (edit 32GB, just noticed you're running 4x4GB, likely you'll have to replace all your ram to upgrade) of ram and partitioning it as a Ramdisk. The difference between performance is nominal as well. I run PS2 Test on my SSD and PS2 from my Ramdisk, there doesn't seem to be much difference in performance. I'm sure the numbers show different, but the experience seems identical. Either way, it helps with loading screens. My loading screen on average is about 2-4 seconds.
  4. Chris Bingley

I don't know how you're managing to only get 30fps in big fights. I'm running an AMD Phemon II X6, 3.3GHz, 12 GB DDR3, and an ATi Radeon HD 6570. I usually get between 40 and 60 fps regardless of how big the fight is. As you'll notice, I'm running the worst brand of CPU for this game, an ancient graphics card that only has 1GB of ram (it's not even DDR 5 or anything).

Have you tried using the 64-bit client. It works wonders for me. Before it's release I was only getting 25-35 fps, now things are performing much better.
  5. eggy

You didn't mention what your render quality is set to, what your view distance is set to or any of your other settings like shadow quality. These all have a massive impact on FPS in 48+ battles.

Is also a good idea to remember that there are areas in the maps where FPS just drops for no apparent reason.

Im running a first gen I7@2.8ghz with 6GB RAM and a HD7850.
    I run high settings with render quality at 85% and VSYNC ON.
    For 95% of my playtime im sat at 60fps rock solid. In a busy 48+/48+ fight it floats between 45 and 60.
    Inside some of the bio labs it can drop to 35 when i am stood on my own looking at a tree.

It is possible to have the game looking nice and playing well you just need to experiment with some settings a little bit.
    I would also add that at no time does my cpu usage ever go above 30%, EVER. Which is a shame, since I rushed out and bought the PC for PS2 the day smedly said it was very close to release. (the first time before they delayed it).

No amount of extra GHZ, RAM or running from an SSD will improve an engine built on old tech.
  6. BlackDove

First make sure your drivers are configured correctly. Heres a guide on how to do it. You might want to clean install some pre 332.21 drivers like 331.82 before configuring.

Smoothing is BS and needs to be off as well.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ttings-for-ps2-as-well-as-other-games.171010/

Second, check for malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/ check for rootkits first since you wont detect stuff theyre hiding if you have one.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/ make sure you go into settings and detection. Switch to "treat detections as malware" for both and enable rootkit scanning.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx double check with that.

If neither configuring the drivers or malware are the issue it might be your CPU itself.

Download and run the IPDT.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19792

Gives a pass or fail but also does a load test to check how well your CPU is cooled. A bad water cooling setup is worse than the OEM Delta heatsinks(which are actually really good). In not saying yous is but check to make sure its working perfectly.

For a nice system like that you should be using Shin-Etsu thermal interface.
  7. CaliBased

i have rendering quality and distance set @ maximun. All settings on ultra/high.

my fps is good overall its just the occasional drops and graphic driver crashing that is starting to annoy me. also back to the topic of my OP... blows my mind even after overclocking to 4ghz that i can have cpu bottleneck.

i have smoothing off now, seems good but FPS drops to 35+/- whenever im in a super large.

no root kits on here. computer is brand new and i dont go to compromising websites.

passed cpu test as well..

today i am upgrading my internet i wonder how large of an improvement this will make.
  8. z1967

But only OC if you have the cooling system for it.
    nvm, I see you have liquid cooling. Carry on.
  9. Rikkit

hmm for what i and my informatik profs know, clock speed isn't an important size on modern multicore prozessors.
    Most of time they are waiting for Data's from registrys and other cache systems.. Overclocking a cpu can aktually hurt it's performance.
    (if you have bad luck, or force the cpu to grab data from a source, when the signal on it isn't stable (may be false).
    When this happens, there are to options:
    The Error is not detected in the first place, and you calculate with wrong numbers,
    The Error is detected, and you have to wait to get the information again, or redo the calcualtion for getting the correct number.....)

so in comparsion, the following slow modern multicore cpu's down by a huge ammount.
    speed of light ( yes we are fast enough, that the speed of light is getting a problem)
    speed of memory (not only ram, L1 to L3 Cache is more important than it)
    waiting for data from other sources,

so, a high clock time isn't allways equal to more performance.

so an example, your L2 cache can you deliver you a signal in let's say
    5ns
    a single command take 1ns on your cpu, so if the l1 cache havent the requied data, your cpu know it can do 5 task while it is waiting for the data from L2.
    so we have done 6 commands in 6ns

now you overclock your cpu, and it is able to complete a command in lets say 0.9ns
    we run in the same problem, and our cpu do it 5 task, and after that it try's to grab the data.
    But the Signal from the L2 Cache isn't stable jet.so we grab a 0 instead of a 1.

even if we detect the error, we need at least one additional command, to grab the corect data from the cache.
    so have done 5 jobs in 4.5ns
    but for the last one, we needed 1.8 ns
    so we have 6.3ns in total for 6 commands

PS: these numbers aren't real, they are jsut some easy numbers, to show the problem

PPS: i know my englsih is bad, sorry for that
  10. Konstantinn

Ghz don't mean as much as they used to. Running i7-2600k at default 3.4-3.8 Ghz without problems in this game. Don't overclock, you will regret it when you damage your CPU from insufficient cooling.
  11. NC_agent00kevin

NASA still has a CPU bottle neck playing Planetside 2....
  12. whiteshadow2000

The OP has been given some good advice on how to help improve his FPS and stop it from lowering occasionally, but has chosen to ignore it, yet still complains about how the occasional dips in FPS are annoying him .......

he can't understand why he's still CPU bottlenecked even though it's already been explained to him in thread as well.

I'm wondering, at this point why he's asking for advice when he's just ignoring half of the suggestions ...
  13. Rougen

As I've said in other posts this game / engine is sadly terrible (not that I could do any better but it is just plain bad compared to a lot of other titles).

It's a total lottery with hardware as to whether PS2 will like it.

I've already mentioned in other posts but my system can run anything currently on three screens maxed out, and it was running PS2 maxed out on three screens over the past 8 months or so, but the game is NEVER stable. Toward the end of last year there were CTD's, then black screens and lockups. Then it seemed to be ok for about a month and now broken again (now this stupid suttering / jumping issue).

I'm getting so sick and tired of it I have just quite playing for now (I don't expect anyone or Sony to care about that as tbh I am not exactly important to this game or community). However, it hacks me off that something I enjoy playing (when it runs) I no longer want to play because of performance related issues, it is just a total ball ache.

My low power, small form factor web server runs this game more stable with about a 10th of the power of my current main rig.

OP, sadly, you can reformat your PC, reinstall drivers, underclock, overclock, RMA hardware and throw money at new hardware and it won't change a thing, you will still have issues with PS2 at some point.

I think everyone does, it's just for some the random glitches and rubbish doesn't out-weigh the importance of the overall playing and experience for them so they ignore it (or try to).
  14. Hank

Its simple, turn off smoothing, put shadows on low, everything else is more gpu dependent so go crazy and set AA in your gpu control to application preference and set maximum pre rendered frames to 1..no matter how high i overclock it says CPU next to my fps.
  15. Rougen

It doesn't say either on mine, just 50-60 FPS (60 FPS cap set).

CPU usage never over about 50% and GPU's not maxed either, it's a problem with the engine on certain hardware.
  16. Reinari

I dont see smoothing as such a bad thing. FPS over your monitor/TV refresh rate only accomplises in heating your GPU needlessly. Limit your framerate from <planetside install folder> UserOptions.ini.

Shadows need to be on low or off. They have enormous impact when there are alot of actors casting them and that costs CPU.
    If you are getting sharp framerate drops there is a real possibility it is caused by the explosions. Set effects quality to low and it should no longer happen.

Max pre rendered frames set to 1(from GPU driver) helps if you have input lag. Setting vertical sync to off and triple buffering off also helps with that issue. You may get screen tearing but your guns wont feel like they are solid steel blocks.

Set shadows to OFF and see if it helps!
  17. Hank

if you cap your fps with smoothing or v-sync it wont say cpu or gpu, maybe rarely in big battles. when i played with smoothing on i capped at 60 (my refresh rate). no matter what the fight was all i saw was 55 to 60. when i turned smoothing off my FPS went into the low 100's, and always flips between cpu/gpu now.

And your right it is a problem with the game coding, it works great on some setups and not so good on others. it would be impossible to make an engine that ran every possible set up great. Then factor in the "tweakers" that fix it till its broke, then blame the game. i figure if you have a computer that can run a few games with different engines well, your lucky.
  18. Udnknome

...... I wonder..... are you trying to stop any bottleneck? we will be here forever.

Being CPU bottlenecked is a good thing (unless you are getting unplayable performance), Being GPU bottlenecked is a bad thing. You will always be one or the other with the in game FPS monitor. There is no way to get rid of all bottlenecks as there will always be something that is the new "Slow" thing on your PC.
  19. Rougen

Yup true, and btw I just found a weird work around to the stuttering issue, run the client in full screen windowed mode = no stutter or jumping any more :S

GPU usage goes up to about 98% now and is much more solid, CPU is the same, but for some weird reason it is totally smooth now.
  20. Dragam

Facepalm at the people telling OP that overclocking is bad, and that he shouldnt do it, cause it will actually hurt his performance...

Here is a Little fun experiment for you : record your average and minimum fps while running your cpu at half clock speed, standard clocks, and overclocked as much as it can... then report back.

But i can tell you the results beforehand - the fps scales proportionally to the cpu clocks... meaning that 20 % overclock = 20% higher minimum and average fps (asuming that you are cpu limited).