How can I play this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AzureKnight, Jun 17, 2013.

1. AzureKnight

I really can not play this. It seems if there are any more than about 50 people then all of a sudden, my internet can't handle it. I move perfectly fine, that is I don't rubberband myself, but I have about a 2 second lag (timed by holding fire button and de-cloaking) after a certain amount of people show up.

It didn't use to be this way. When I started playing a couple months back, it was perfectly fine. But, up until 1-2 weeks ago, this started happening. Maybe because of a merge i don't know. I can put 10 shots in a guy's skull but it doesn't kill him because apparently he's no longer there despite the fact that my bullets are hitting him. Then he can turn around and I'm magically dead.

Vehicles spaz out as if gravity is negated randomly for them, planes move around more like a drunken bee than an elegant swan dance of death, infantry randomly appear right in front of me when they were 30 feet away from me just a split second before, yet I seem to move perfectly fine. Chances are I'm really not, but on my end I move perfectly fine.

I'd blame it on internet connection, but as i said, this only started happening 1-2 weeks ago and before that, it was perfectly fine.

If there's a recommended internet connection, it must be at least double my speed which is unfortunate because not everyone lives in an area where 20+ Mb connections are available and if they are, they're very expensive.
  2. Wintermaulz

1. Does this happen at certain times of the day, or all the time when 50+ people are around?

2. Have you tried contacting your ISP and asking if maybe its something on their end? They could be throttling you.
  3. cd5696

What are the specs of your computer? That may be causing it. Also, what type of connection do you use to connect to your modem?
  4. AzureKnight

Seems to be any time there's more than X amount of people. How many that is, i can't say but 50 seems to be what it is. I figured it was happening around prime times, but I didn't think 11 pm (gmt -6) was a prime time.

I've also noticed that population doesn't always seem to be the cause as being in a 48+ both factioned biolab, it would run smoothly before crapping out. Century Link (my ISP) probably could be the cause, but with speed checks that I've done online, I'm fine. And pinging the server (connery) from command prompt like I found one time, shows that out of all the packets sent to Connery's IP address, I have a loss rate of 100%.
  5. AzureKnight

My computer is:
    Phenonm II quad core 3.2 GHz
    Gforce 550 TI
    8GB of DDR3 Ram
    Windows 7

It's more than enough to handle the game...

And my internet is a 7.5 Mb connection. Download rates average about 800 kb/s while upload averages about 200 kb/s. Funny thing about my connection is it's not suppose to exist where I live according to my ISP's data charts. They say i should be getting capped at 5 Mb...
  6. ExarRazor

windows 7 64 bit? or 32 bit?
    cause if yer runnin 32 bit, that 8gb of ram is wasted.

AMD doesn't play well with ps2 for some reason, that could be another issue.

your connection also seems way too low, that could very well be the reason for your problems, as you suggested
  7. SpcFarlen

I run almost the same set up but with a 660ti. The AMD 955 3.2ghz (assuming that yours model) really doesnt play this game well. In large battle where its a platoon or more i fight with 20-30fps. I do have mine overclocked to about 3.7 ghz. So you could be experiencing some very high fps fluctuations because when i dont have mine overclocked and it drops to 20 or under it does seem to look like a slide show with people bouncing around.

Although recently i have been seeing people slide across my screen in mid air due to server lag more and more recently in large battles on Indar what with the lattice system and new people trying out PS2 from all the E3 coverage.

He has a 7.5 megabit connection which can do 800 kiloBYTES download. Thats not low at all.
  8. AzureKnight

Don't worry, it's 64 bit. i realized how useless it would be to get 32 bit. I really hope it's not my connection... I really am cheap but if I gotta fork over cash, i may have to...

but yeah, as I said, it was working perfectly fine up until about 1-2 weeks ago. After an update I believe....
  9. AzureKnight

it's not so much FPS issues, I'm actually fine with the average 30 I get. but this part that I snipped, this is what i regularly see.I posted this video before, but this is what playing is like for me:

10. SpcFarlen

Ya ive been getting that a bit more often now, though mine tends to be people shuffling across the sky for a second then popping back to their original location. Could be people loosing connection to the server briefly and your client trying to make sense of where they are in that time, which is why they dart around. Could be caused by them lagging or the server itself.

But ya, ill agree it has been quite recent like you first stated.
  11. Wintermaulz

Talk to your ISP, my thoughts are its something on their end, not yours.
  12. AzureKnight

I'm glad I'm not the only one this affects. A lot of times it feels like I am while I'm playing. It's hard to be in an "epic battle" like this.