How can I get motivated to learn to snipe?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by gregfox89, Nov 18, 2013.

1. gregfox89

I've been wanting to get better at sniping (I'm probably one of the worst snipers you'll ever see in the game, not even joking) I would like to do some close-medium range run and gun sniping (the manly kind) but I don't really know where to start.

It's kind of funny because I'm a high BR and pretty skilled at most things in the game (lol modesty much), but I've never learned to snipe properly. I bought the Ghost and put a 2x scope on it, because I loved how it performed in VR (of course VR is lies and treachery) Can't really figure out what the hell I'm doing and I just get instagibbed all the time.

I went from terrible at flying to pretty good with a lot of hard work over several months, so I know I could get good at sniping if I put my mind to it. But I feel like I'm in the rut that high BRs get into where we only want to do what we're good at and farm all the time. Why would I want to waste my time trying to snipe when I can earn twice as many certs without the headache and deaths? But I miss that feeling of struggling and learning... oh nostalgia.

I have a TR account I guess I could practice on (to hide my shame) but I've gotten bored with that character and I'm not that motivated to earn certs on a character that's not my main. I get excited about trying to snipe whenever I see videos of people doing it really well, and especially now since the planned nanoweave changes. Any advice?
  2. Darkelfdruid_LOL

I would suggest if you want to snipe, get a v10 or the parallax.

v10 = slower bullet speed but faster reload time

Parallax = faster bullet speed but 6s -5s reload timer

Forget the Ghost if you want to 'learn' to snipe. Ghost is great wep as I only JUST discovered, but I'd suggest long scoped snipers first, to get the feel of the mechanics. Ghost is more for rambo mode.

I would recommend the parallax (even though I use v10 my self only) as it is easier to lead targets, and as you are learning the extra second on reload timer will not really matter to you at this moment in time.

Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, kill MrMurdok , Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Kill MrMurdok again , Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice, Practice, practice.

And in no time I'll be asking you for tips :D
    • Up x 3
  3. Ravenorth

Ghost is a great weapon, one of my favorites and its best when used with suppressor and 4x sight in a big fights to HS unaware targets from a good spot/hideout, to find those spots you should study the base layouts a bit and figure out the best places. You can get huge killstreaks from the right places, once you just find them, my best is something like 64 in a single base.
  4. natterfr0s

The way this game is headed, it's better if you skip the v10 and parallax altogether and just learn the medium/short ranged rifles. The increased bullet speed is only going to make it harder to get used to the other rifles, specially after you get used to leading targets, and most importantly you can double tap (body shot + head shot), while the BASRs are one target, one round, one try for the most part...

The Nyx and the Phantom are for me the most solid medium range rifles (100m-200m range). I found the Nyx best short range to 150m, and Phantom 100m-200m. You need time with all the scopes to figure out what's best for what (what ranges are better for your reflex/aiming speed, what is your average reaction time and what range is best for it, positioning and dodging, etc), but if you find yourself ending up in close range (0-100m, up to 150m depending on what you're fighting), the silencer will prove its worth.

Nyx and Artemis are the upclose rifles... it's a whole different game for snipers up here, so I'll let one of those "br100 mlg 4life" pros take it from here.
    • Up x 1
  5. gregfox89

But I want to rambo mode... Okay, baby steps. I have the XM98 with an 8x scope and I don't really like it that much. I only got copper medal on it. Are the v10 and Parallax much better? If I were to get a "proper" bolt action, I'll probably just wait until the new one comes out because it will probably be better than all of the others
  6. gregfox89

I have the Artemis and it's not bad, but I'm always running my magazine dry and then my target kills me with almost no health. I've had some pretty good runs with it though. But it's not a sniper rifle.
  7. natterfr0s

Its not a "sniper rifle", but it's no SMG either. That's the problem in general with "short" range sniping, when you run it against a SMG or a 1500 health HA, you're clearly in a tough spot, in which case you need either really, really good aim to make your shots count or just disengage and re-position to your advantage.
  8. IIXianderII

The XM98 with an 8x should preform for what you are trying to do, but spend some time in VR to see what feels the most natural. My suggestion is to get the loadout that you want to use, and then take 2 or 3 hours and just go crazy . Shoot at everything under the sun and see what shots you usually land and which ones you usually miss (preferably headshots, bodyshots don't get you far in CQC). After those first 2 or 3 hours tone it back and play much more conservatively. This is where you want to only take shots you are sure you can hit and get really comfortable with your rifle. For most people starting out, this means only shooting at stationary targets that don't look like they will move in the next 2-3 seconds. Once you get really good at these easy shots and can line them up quickly and calculate bullet drop without much thought, start taking a few shots at things you normally wouldn't shoot at. This might be a medic strafing while reviving, or someone running across a field, or a light assault jump-jetting, etc. Don't waste your time on all these crazy shots, but taking 1 every mag should give you enough practice that you will eventually be able to land those shots consistently. Once you can land just about any shot somewhat reliably, start putting yourself in situations you don't expect to walk away from. You are going to have to rely on reflexes and accuracy to make up for inexperience so stay on your toes while playing like this. Eventually you won't have to rely so much on raw reflexes because you have enough experience to gauge situations and position yourself where you have an advantage. This was a slow progression for me, and I am just now at the point where I am comfortable at any range even in head-on 1v1s. Throughout this whole process make sure you have a pistol that you can rely on. The bolt action has a faster TTK when you can get headshots, but never be afraid to fall back on your pistol.
    • Up x 1
  9. NahumLudd

I gave up sniping because I don't like it in this game (slow bullet speeds). But my motivation would be that it is something really few people are good at. Mastering it makes you sort of unique.
  10. JesNC

With the coming changes in mind I'd suggest sticking with the default Spectre and learn to use semi-auto snipers to their full extend. Semi-autos are going to be the premier long-range rifles in the future, and the Spetre is really good since it has no bullet drop.

If you really want to use bolt-actions get the cheap 100-cert or the short-range variant and practice to skim along the outskirts of a firefight while staying undetected. The more expensive higher damage variants lose too much refire rate in exchange for too little gain, at least at those medium sniping ranges.
  11. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Haha I love it! I hope people are going to try to use semi autos as main weps for sniping. Killing snipers is like pissing on your fingers as it is, but semi auto ones? :D

Oh god I can't wait. I'll feel guilty for even using a beamer on you guys then :D
  12. ZillFattak

When I was just starting to snipe in this game I bought the close/medium range snipers - and sucked with them. I was absolutely horrible. Try medium to long range sniping first, until you can snipe people without having to think or taking much time to aim for the head. Only when you get decent with the "normal" rifles, you should go for the closer variants (closer = less time for aiming, more dangerous). Got to add though, I am using suppressor so it took me some time to instinctively compensate for bullet drop. Also, if you plan on what I'd call "battle sniping" (that's what you called "rambo mode" I guess), you should definitely flank a lot. Face-to-face with an enemy trying to outgun his automatic weapon with your one-bullet-weapon is... rarely an enjoyable experience. At least if you are mediocre like me.
  13. ZillFattak

Go for the knife kills then. Right into the deadly range of a hipfired semi-auto rifle... lol.
  14. Darkelfdruid_LOL

basr + knife will kill a person wayyy faster than a semi auto point blank ever could.

It is essentially a pump action shot gun.
  15. ZillFattak

Me knows. I was just trying to be funny. ;)

My auraxium kill on the SR-7 was a hipfired headshot on a heavy assault. I wanted to make it a headshot on a moving person with scope, but when I saw that heavy running, a strange reflex took over my index finger. I almost fell off my chair when the guy died. :)
  16. JesNC

Weren't you the guy who claimed that the upcoming changes were a boon to snipers in general and long-range snipers would do just fine with SASRs?

GL trying to kill a competent sniper with a semi-auto at long range with your BASR. But you're probably too far up in your #yoloquickscopeswag to even notice them in the first place.

After the change both RAMS/Parallax/Longshot and the SASR will take 2 headshots/1 headshot + 1 bodyshot to kill, it only depends on how fast you can nail those shots.
  17. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Lol that's a nice medal kill :D

..I still can't believe you got me with a pistol when I used my ns7 :(

U fkin boss. :D
  18. ZillFattak

Trust me that was more the repeaters "skill" than my own. I am not really good with the sidearm: too bad at aiming with the fast-firing underboss and too slow at aiming with the commissioner. I also suck at seeing cloaked infiltrators, especially when they are more than 10m away. :(
  19. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Yes I wss raging at first but not because of balance , because I will no longer be able to OHK people on flash at render range as that I enjoy doing.

When I thought about it more, overall I realised it's a buff.

And lol ye quick scope. Most long range snipers are just sitting ducks. It's like putting down an old family dog, sometimes I just do not bother HS due to just facepalming my self how those "snipers" are just in a group shooting, cloaking and moving but then moving back to the same position to aim again while still cloaked. And then they accuse me of aim botting because I HS them in stealth.

Yeah go ahead and use a semi auto at range :D free certs are always welcome.
  20. ZillFattak

Good advice to the OP: Move into cover, cloak, move out, aim, shoot, cloak immediately and move. I can't count the number of snipers I have headshot cause they didn't even cloak at all or cloaked and didn't move.