Hover/Vertical Thrust NinjaNerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jetlag, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jetlag

I am posting this to draw attention to a bug/ninjanerf that I havnt seen mentioned enough and people may not be aware of.

As far as I can tell the hover power or vertical thrust provided by "Hover frame 3" for my scythe has been reduced.

Given that I am BR53 and have extensive experience in dogfighting and flying my ESF I can tell a noted difference in handling which can be accounted for by this change.
    Furthermore when I park my scythe on the ground it does not float 5 feet in the air like it used to pre patch.
    Unfortunately I could not find any relevant video in my archives to highlight this difference.

At this time I can not confirm if this has affected all ESFs but i did see a post from a reaver pilot claiming his vertical thrust had been nerfed.
    As for whether this was a nerf or bug, the only thing i can think is that the Magrider hover nerf may have affected the ESF hover power inadvertently.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter guys.
  2. FigM

I haven't noticed any change for Reaver with Hover 3, tho landings seem to be a bit rougher, maybe it's just the lag
  3. Jetlag

A rougher landing is an indicator of the reduced effectiveness of the hover frame.
  4. LameFox

Dafuq? It used to sit five feet in the air?
  5. Zer0range

They've nerfed the dogfighting frame too.
  6. Jetlag

Flying in my scythe and tanking in my mag were the two funnest things for me but it looks like this patch has ruined both. With all the buffs to AA recently I have to hope that this combined with the lock on missile issues are bugs rather then nerfs.
  7. Stigma

Well, not 5 feet - that is hyperbole, but imagine a magrider with full chassis upgrades sitting idle pre-patch. About that kinda height (almost enough to crawl under while crouched). The Scythe functioned very different from the reaver and mossie because it didn't have any landing gear so unlike the other two where you just force the vehicle down at a reasonable speed - if you tried the same with the scythe you would actually take damage from it most of the time (or even worse - start to partially clip into the terrain and blow up). Best way to exit a scythe tended to be to just hover it at a safe bail altitude and hop out and let it glide down to a resting position.

The change to it now no doubt has something to do with the "fix" to sliding parked vehicles I think. It now hovers much lower and dosn't "wiggle" nearly as much from its momentum - and it seems that if you park it at an angle it almost tries to keep that angle lots of times. I've had some issues with it taking damage way too easily now when landing.

I haven't noticed anything major in terms of change to vertical thrust power though. I think those are completely seperate issues. Try cutting your speed to zero high up in the air and use only vertical thrust while tilted 90degrees to get an idea of how much vertical thrust you have. I think this is about the same as before - but I hadnt flown for a few days before the patch so its hard to say for sure...

-Stigma
  8. Phazaar

More important issue to continue to spam everywhere is the complete break to lock-on detection. At a point where most of the community are feeling lock-ons are out of hand, you no longer receive an audible lock on warning. More important still is that when the lock on missile is underway, rather than get the siren, and in-cockpit warning, the 'locking on' warning disappears as if you have broken the lock on.

You are then hit by a lock on missile seconds later.

This now means that the only amount of skill that comes into the Ground vs Air fight (as a pilot, trying to keep breaking potential - they're invisible after all - infantry's view of you so they cannot achieve a lock) is completely moot, because you HAVE to fire your flares regardless as you cannot tell if a missile is incoming or whether you succeeded.

The amount of time spent arbitrarily running away from invisible infantry to wait for the flare timer to cool down was ridiculous before; now I'm spending more of my day doing that than I do actually fighting.

Going back to my AA MAX until this is sorted; using a G2A lock on right now is incredibly unsporting, bordering on the pathetic.
  9. Jetlag

Hmm thats interesting stigma I hadnt heard anything about the scythe landing "gear" being changed, this may explain some of what i am experiencing. My scythe still seems to fly different though.
    It would be extremely useful if anyone had the vertical thrust speed measurements for the different air frames, unfortunately i didnt have the foresight to record these myself.
  10. Stigma

Someone has though - I've seen those types of measurements in a post that very specifically compared the ESFs abilities and maneuverability. Unfortunately I don't have a link on hand for that :(

-Stigma