Hossin on Test, Available Now

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Kalyper, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sagarath

Probably just something you haven't gotten around to yet but a lot of the branches on the giant trees have no collision, causing you to fall right through. Also makes dogfights easier than they should be on this map. Another thing I noticed, not sure if it's a bug or not is, even with my render distance on max, things disappear from view in a very short radius as if there is a circle of nonseeingnessationality around me.
  2. Godsmangamer

In the center of the intralink facility there is that Shielded column I don't know why but I am able to pass through it and not able to get out. couple of other notes on the intralinks lay out .
    The Vehicle bay is out side of the Shielded/walled area this will make any defense with vehicles while the base is under heavy attack useless as reinforcement from the terminals will be non existent. If a defenders sundi goes it will be gone you will not be able to resupply it. Suggestion stick the bay in the bottom of the inner loop giving the defenders 1 a great place to deploy a sundi and a good place to deploy vehicles defensively from.
    The tunnel system is amazing. I am worried about it being op for defenders but I love the way it has been retooled with reentrance and point defense enabling the defenders to get to both a and b points quickly. Making the tunnel entrance a lift is like a big sign telling players it is there so expect more use then all other tunnel systems when it goes live. If this system proves to be OP move the tunnel exit shields to the top of the entrance way and make it like the scu rooms where everyone can fire through but only defenders can move through this would give the defense a advantage but balance a bit better giving the attacking forces a option to keep the defenders in.
    I was able to ride a flash all the way up into the energy bridge room not sure if this was intended up it is possible especially with improved hill climbing ones.
    As to point c. Good esf pilots will be able to fire on the point it self/ rocket it. At least that's what it look like so the force with the best/most effective air forces in the fight will control that point. The anti air guns on each of the wings are a nice touch but they will be un useable against smart air. The reason is you have to get out and around the walls to the gun a fairly long distance and there is little cover around the gun its self except the walls along the edge.
    I think that in a large battle for this facility the battle for Air supremacy and the battle to hold down anti air is what will determine most outcomes. Ground vehicles will have some impact but very very little compared to air and defensive infantry will have a major advantage. The other Major factor that will come into play is Gal drops will be especially effective on this facility for controlling c. I would also be very pleased to be a light assault in this place as well since the bridges with perhaps made for them as they will likely never die when one is changes/ be able to cross the gap when one is flipped.

sorry for the lenth but I wanted to see something new it is awesome but being new and unreleased I had a few thoughts
  3. IceFire909

Can the teeny tiny Warpgates Hossin currently is using be kept as the actual Warp Gates? THEY'RE SO AWESOME!

It's like a ****** little outpost to a crappy swamp zone no one cares too much about. AND I LOVE IT!!!
    • Up x 2
  4. Rhapsody

Sounds like they re-introduce the old PS1 'bubble' rendering engine. In PS1 there was a 250m (or was it 350m?) 'bubble' that was hard-coded into the game, nomater what your grafix were set to.

Would sorta make sence. They brought back the PS1 'lattice' system, rather than simply emplementing a catch-all into the open hex system that prevented cut-off territory from expanding. Why not bring in the hard-coded view 'bubble' as well to fix their lag/rendering issues? Just wish they'd also do away with teh 1-man-army MBT's and bring back the driver/gunner MBT's from PS1.
    • Up x 1
  5. VonStalin

This is amazing. Reminds me Pandora from Avatar.
    Really nice, cant wait for it on public servers..

Small suggestion.
    Architecture.
    Different continents, architecture the same? This architecture suits this continent just perfect, looks like Pandora. But those other continents.. Could be updated. Japan has one architecture, Iran another, France yet another and so on. But all continents on planetside has the same architecture? Cammoooonnnn....
    And another suggestion is prehistoric ancient peaces of architecture, like piramids, huge churches, something like coliseum and so on and so on. Secret caves. You know, something special, something magic.. That reminds the history of previous creatures that lived there..
  6. daniel696

When the rest of Hossin will be release ?
  7. whocares123

That 10k cert points we get on the Hossin test server...will whatever we get with those cert points or whatever cert points we have stay with us when Hossin is open or will we have to start all over?
  8. daniel696

All over of course! Test server is seperated from the Live server, what you do in the test server, don't affect the live server.
  9. Ronin Oni

It's actually 100k

Yes, 100,000 cert points.

Go crazy.

Screw up? Get a ton of stuff you don't want? Reroll for a fresh 100k :cool:
  10. VonStalin

After some time on Hossin.
    Sorry, but someone has to say that.

There is a good reason why Indar is so popular - the same reason, why de_dust2 and other dust maps are so popular on cstrike.
    People dont understand that, they cant tell you.
    There is a such thing as colors psychology, marketing colors. Colors have a big impact for humans and their feelings.
    Indar and de_dust2 colors are warm and inviting, sky is blue and clear, you feel good in these conditions, thats the reason for popularity.

After some time on Hossin i am starting to feel tired and depressed and i know why - colors are to dark and cold, sky is foggy and boring, all continent is the same. It is nice, but depressive environment.
    If you are going to make this continent as the main continent in the center for battles, people will start leaving this game and they will not explain why, they will not understand.

I advice you to make a sky clear, blue, with star and a few moons like on Indar. Remove as much fog as you can let yourself after a long job adding it... Warm up colors, add more variations of colors, because now everything is just dark green. And talk to some good marketing expert about impact of colors for human behavior.

Map is amazing, Pandora like. But the fact is, that people will get tired and depressed after some time.
  11. Cromell

You've got a point. Might be one of the reasons why WoW is so popular after so much time, except for cataclysm expansion it's a rather colorful game. And the reason I quit WoW quite fast.

I personally like such dark/cold/gritty maps. Indar is fine, but Esamir is my beloved home. It feels like a ruthless, deadly ice desert. Can't wait for Hossin, where I'll be able to lurk in the shadows *insert sinister laugher*.
  12. Godsmangamer

While I believe that it would be a good idea to change the atmosphere of Hossin. I think it could be done mainly around bases and structures where the Main battles will take place. So a change of fauna coloring when you arrive in a base area. Also really do a number on the sky.
    The as to Hossin being the middle continent. I hope they come up with a way to rotate the continents around every major update as they do with warp gates now and not just leave It in the middle.
  13. Lazaruz

I can't wait to see the rest of the continent! :)
  14. KariH

Is Hossin practically infantry only? It is possible that tanks and airplanes has limited use.

And heck! I am lost constantly. I do not know where I am .

Critisisms? Perhaps not. These are just features. Jungle war. Guadalcanal.
    • Up x 1
  15. AgentGiz

Are you guys at SOE aiming for any kind of official release?
  16. ScrapyardBob

I'm putting 10 coins into the January 15th possibility. Sounds like they're reworking Esamir and Amp Station layouts first.
    • Up x 1
  17. Desann

I have a large post in my sig about my thoughts for the overall game play, but it is a lot to push for at the moment.

For now I got a thought of a unique idea that would incorporate CURRENT in game mechanics and give the interlink a unique role on the map. What if the interlink provided a resource of +30 for your empires LOWEST resource. Just as other facilities provide +30 to mech/air/inf, the interlink would give +30 to whichever pool has the lowest resource dump. So if you were receiving +35 air/ +70 mech/ +125 inf, the interlink would give +30 air until the balance changes. Also, the bonus from the interlink would not calculate into the "lowest resource" so it does not constantly revert over and over.

In addition to this, i HIGHLY encourage and ask that you stick to tradition with the interlink. In PS1, they offered advanced radar benefits. So PLEASE PLEASE make the interlink provide a radar to allies in the proximity of the base. Maybe have its own "prox radar" that pulses every 10-30 seconds or so. Thsi makes defending much easier, and attacking much more difficult.

Cloakers should be immune to the radar when cloaked, until you give us implants back *COUGH COUGH*. Or maybe give a 500 cert option for cloakers to purchase, maybe in the suit option, to be immune to radars/motion sensors.

just my thoughts.
  18. William Ledo

Downloaded the Test Server the moment I saw Hossin was ready for having a walk!

First off, great job SOE! I love the idea of a swamp-jungle continent. It will definitevely create a combat style quite different to what can be seen in the other ones, specially with all that fog around.

About bugs, I couldn't test it for long, but I do have some feedback.

- Vex Biologics: seems like the South jump pads located at the top of the mountain could use a staircase. Right now the only way to get on it is to climb a small rock at its side...

- I'm sure you will eventually add it, but all that water needs a good splashing sound for when you walk, jump or drive on it :)

- Personally, I'd like to see more bioluminiscent plants/fungi around, specially at night, Avatar style. That's up to design team though; just my opinion.

- About the fog... I personally have PS2 set to minimun graphics quality in order to have a good performance (even though my laptop is quite powerful). It might be a result of that, or it might be Hossin still not finished, but it seems like it's going to be quite difficult to see enemies around... I see thermic scopes ^_^

- About bases in general: as others said before, it would be nice for them to be not so much copy-pasted models. I have to say, though, that there are pretty nice variations in Hossin. Acan Biolab, with facilities right next to it that can be captured separately, is going to be a meat grinder. And on that line...

- ... AI Phalanx Turrets. I couldn't see if there are many of them around, but given the difficulties Hossin's terrain imposes to land and even air vehicles, I personally expect to mainly see infantry based combat, and that's a good incentive to add a good number of these somehow forgotten turrets (and would make installation fights quite different). Before haters arise, no, they don't suck; I have used them whenever I could and there's no infantry that dares to get out of cover when one of those is around. The problem is that there are very few of them... I personally expect Hossin to have enough infantry combat to see them justified.

Well, that was my feedback. Keep up the good work :)