HIGH graphics vs LOW (thermal, sunburst, fog, etc.)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiraen, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ronin Oni

THey aren't catering to, encouraging, or nurturing lowering graphic details for advantage.... they are catering to lower end systems and people will always, and have always, taken advantage of that.

This is nothing new, I don't expect planetside to do anything about it, but I will look down with contempt upon any who do it..... as should everyone else.
  2. Jezs

Thank you for opening my eyes, flying an ESF with night vision on low graphics is pretty painful compared to high :(
    Turns out I get the same framerate/GPU load on ultra as I do on low, go figure
  3. Being@RT

Where's the line drawn? What amount of fps is required before reducing graphics settings is ok? Can I increase my resolution to lower fps so I can reduce these graphics settings without being guilty of something? Or should everyone be forced to max graphics settings and the only changeable variable to be resolution?
  4. LameFox

I have bad distance vision. I can pass the tests for driving and whatnot, but everything in the distance is pretty blurry, so while I can see it I miss a lot of details (like being able to read small signs).

Playing on high or ultra is like that. Not the weird coloured fog, thankfully, but the blurry nature of everything. I had to turn super-sampling to 4x via Nvidia control panel before I stopped wanting my character to have eye surgery.
  5. ThePackage

You got me, those settings in game that everyone is encouraged to change is cheating. I'm a dirty dirty cheater. I love the assumption I should "sit quiet in the corner of my moms basement". You know someones argument is about to fall apart when they resort to insults and wild generalizations that hold no merit. Bravo

I guess you shouldn't change sensitivity, or invert flying controls. Also don't change your keybinds, resolution, or field of view. They also give you an advantage, so that would be cheating. Get rid of that 5 button mouse with adjustable DPI, get rid of your high end headsets. Play with a team? Nah, that would give you an advantage....can't do that.

Would you like to try again?
    • Up x 1
  6. Ronin Oni

You're intentionally bypassing visual impairments that were intentionally added to the game.

Comparing that to custom controls is inane.

The reason for graphic options is so people with good systems can put em up where they're supposed to be, and people with inferior rigs (who suffer other penalties like lower framerates) can turn em down a little bit so they can play the bloody game.

Abusing those options to remove visual impairments on a rig capable of running at ultra is reprehensible.

You can justify your lame excuses for grasping for a handicap to yourself all you want... you'll never convince me of them however so may as well save your bandwidth and time and not bother trying anymore.

I can't stop you from doing it. SOE can't stop you from doing it without alienating their lower rig market. So go ahead. Do it. Just know that most players consider you a tool.
    • Up x 1
  7. ThePackage

You don't add graphics enhancement for the sole purpose of making things look worse. Graphics options are simply that, an option. If they wanted to add in visual impairments that don't bypass settings that could easily be obtained. There's a reason why they're allowing you even more customization over your graphics settings in the future. They're also considering giving you options to remove bloom at high and ultra settings, so you can customize the lighting system to how you want it. So, once more your argument falls flat.

You can continue to think of smart players as tools all you like however.
  8. Ronin Oni

whatever, removing crap like shadows is nothing short of cheating. DGAF how you justify it.
  9. Chiraen

If you played starcraft 2, and there was a tab in the options implemented by purposes that zoomed out the camera a bit, but if you did this, the center of your screen would be a little bit blurry, so people would have to choose if they should use it or not. Then it wouldn't be cheating to use this option, because people know it's there. It's sort of the same in this game, with the different graphic quality settings, Its not cheating, you don't use any hacks, you just change your options like everyone can do.
  10. Ronin Oni

Here's the thing... Textures, which is what the OP was originally goin on about... is all GPU which most people can set to high with no hit FPS due to CPU bottlenecking.

If you've got any sort of decent gfx card for PS2 you should be on mostly high settings, and only CPU bound settings should be limited whatsoever.

Further, given an avg high FPS of 30 in big battles... that should be your benchmark.... maintaining stable above 30FPS (hell I still spike down to 20-25, but there really isn't much more I can do to CPU bound effects without effectively cheating all the time)

If they bunk a patch and introduce new performance bugs, go ahead and tinker with it to see if you can improve your FPS until they fix it, but when they do, you should be putting them back up.

Game is meant to be played on high. Lower settings are a concession for lower end rigs.

And frankly, shadows from buildings/etc should not be disable-able whatsoever. Player object shadows, sure, let us turn those off as that's tracking extra objects to render... but the environmental shadows and effects are downright crucial to gameplay.

This is something I'd like to see fixed... then I'd turn off shadows all the way in a heartbeat which is actually a disadvantage as shadows can give away enemies. (I run shadows on low quality, same with particle effects, both of which are CPU effects)

Abusing graphic settings for advantage isn't 'cheating' in the traditional sense because yes, it is provided utility...

just like the handi-cap health boost was in the old couch FPS games (Goldeneye, etc).
  11. Jex =TE=

Nice way of avoiding the questions. So you think it's perfectly ok that there's a huge discrepancy and the devs should do nothing since you didn't answer I can only assume that is the case so well done for "DGAF" about making the game work.

Also it's not cheating at all, if a game dev can't make a game look right (as if you would be that blind in the video's posted) then it's up to the individual to make the change. They're called OPTIONS for a reason and everyone can make them however they want.

Presumably anyone who can't afford a high end rig is also cheating right? Well they should have paid more for their PC and less on Pizza's and movie tickets. Your argument is ridiculous.
  12. YesNoMaybe

What is this ultra setting everyone keeps talking about? my options only go up to high.
    Is there a notepad file you can change to get ultra graphics settings?
  13. N0008918

Yes there is one file you can modify. It is called "UserOptions.ini" and is located in your PS2 installation folder.
  14. huundar

Ah I get it, you are a vehicle using stat padder and you need an advantage.
  15. Ronin Oni

? Weather conditions most assuredly can blind you past a couple hundred meters relatively easy....

These environmental factors are intentional.
  16. Jex =TE=

Really? Then why have SOE made two completely different effects in the game and which on is the way it should look?
  17. Ronin Oni

They didn't make 2 different effects....

Lower setting simply aren't capable of rendering as many layers, and messing with fog and lighting settings in useroptions can further strip effects away.

Oh, also, not every gamer can afford a high end rig. Many can't as a matter of fact. Probably the majority are on 'budget' gaming PC's (similiar to my specs.... which frankly can run with most of these effects just fine).

Additionally, lower end machines will have shorter render ranges, or lower render quality, lower framerates, or some other negative to their graphics which counters the advantages gained by clearing up the visibility hampering effects. So they get cons too.... a high end PC set with specific settings however will have none of those downsides while having a less obstructed view (removed flora, shadows, lighting effects, etc)
  18. Chiraen

Yeah, let's talk about game balance instead...
    It's obvious that you haven't tried the prowler after the patch
  19. Jex =TE=

So fog is an issue with rendering now? Funny, I thought they used that effect to UP framerates. I have a low end laptop so play with everything off, doesn't mean they can't add in fog to give a similar lack of vision as in high end.
  20. Lampenfieber

Avell MS-16F2 with more mem, i7 and GeForce GTX 560M