[BUG] High FPS unstability with a 1070 :/

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RSTK13, Nov 9, 2016.

1. RSTK13

hi everybody !
    i have a GTX 1070 on a MSI 970 gaming with a FX 8350 @4.4Ghz 16Gb of Ram and i have a very huge FPS drop while i'm on battle .. i disabled the shadows and i can plays at 30-50 FPS , depends of how many soldiers is near me but with or without the shadows no one of my PC component run at 100% :/ my CPU is at 50 ~ 70% and my graphics card run at 27% at 1.5Ghz (the max clock is 1,9 ) is anyone have a 1070 and can send me a feedback about his performances and GPU usages ?
    sorry for my bad english and thx for read me
    RSTK
  2. DIGGSAN0

I have better FPS on my Asus ROG Gaming Notebook...with GTX980M etc...

Go to your desktop, right click and choose Nvidia Settings

There you should have the Nvidia settings...

Now go to 3D Settings and then you should change the view to one Programm.

In the little bar you choose the Planetside2.Exe

Now make your settings which fits the most for you....so full power.

Also make shure that you have no VSync or Smoothing Activated (in the game itself)
  3. Erendil

You problem is your CPU. PS2 is extremely CPU-dependent and AMD CPUs don't run PS2 very well. Your 1070 can more than handle the graphics requirements unless you're doing something crazy like trying to run @ 4K resolution.

I just purchased a 1070 for my aging z77 system consisting of an i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 24GB RAM, and an 850 EVO SSD. So far with my goldilocks settings I seem to get 130+ FPS in the warpgate, maybe 70-90 in small/medium battles, and I basically never drop below 50 FPS. And that's running @ 2560x1080 (21:9 Master Race).

There are many tweaks you can make to your in-game setting to help improve your FPS. The most important settings to reduce/ turn off are:
    • Shadows - OFF
    • Graphics Quality - LOW or MEDIUM
    • Ambient Occlusion - OFF
    • Render Quality - 75% is a decent fps improvement. 50% is better tho at that point you might want to just lower your in-game resolution instead
    • Flora (who has that enabled anyway?) - OFF
    • Motion Blur - OFF
    • Fog Shadows - OFF
    • Lighting - LOW
    • Particles - LOW
    • Model Quality - LOW
    Here are two excellent guides for PS2 performance tweaking:
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/planetside-2-tweak-guide#1
    http://iridar.net/planetside2/performance-guide/

EDIT: Don't pay any attention to CPU/GPU usage %. I'm not sure why but PS2 never maxes out the % usage. And it will tell you nothing about how well your system is actually performing in-game.
  4. breeje

i assemble lots of different computers with friends, just for fun as a hobby and sell them with little profit
    and on thing i noticed is that AMD CPU's perform very well with PS2
    there have been problems in the past with AMD CPU's/GPU's but i can insure you these problems no longer exists
    i do have to say, high end AMD's will never get the performance of a HIGH end Intel

now if i benchmark your i5 against his FX, the FX will beat the hell out of you're I5
    i know benchmarks don't use PS2, but we need something to go on (test) and benchmarks are very respected in the PC world
    CPU Mark: FX-8350 8940 vs I5-3570 6984

i do not want to change this in a competition
    i only try to show if everything works on you're PC, it certainly will work on his PC with the right settings

EDIT: do the test here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
  5. FLHuk

My old AMD 955BE gets me 50fps.... Sure the settings are V low but it works.... Sorta :p
  6. NCstandsforNukaCola

Were Particles, Model Quality, Lighting and Graphic Quality cpu-bound options?
  7. Liewec123

this text is unvisible.
    PS2 is massively CPU-constricted, you could have 5 of the best graphics cards in the world leashed together under your hood,
    but if your CPU gets bottlenecked its going to suck.
  8. DIGGSAN0

9. Towie

Press alt-F when playing and it will tell you what is currently limiting the framerate (CPU or GPU).

My guess as others have said is CPU when things get busy. The current gen of AMD CPUs 'share' resources - this includes the FPU which is very frequently used in games, so although it's an 8-core processor each module (pair of CPUs) shares a single FPU. This is why AMD systems do poorly in most game benchmarks.

PS2 does make use of multiple cores but the benefit diminishes rapidly as the core count increases - and the single core performance of AMD CPUs has lagged significantly behind Intel for a long time.

(All of this is set to change with AMD Zen architecture but it's been a long time coming)
    • Up x 1
  10. RSTK13

well .. after ur answer , i've done some screens of my Nvidia settings for planetside 2 (sorry it's in french but i can't change this without reinstalling my drivers ..) the last line is "tripple buffering : ON"
    (Planetside 2 screens will come when the game will finnish his update)
    here are the screenshots
  11. Towie

...you definitely want triple buffering on - did you press the alt-F when running ?

Not sure what resolution you're using but the simple fact is that a 1070 is a hugely powerful graphics card and PS2 is not graphically intensive, but it is VERY CPU intensive when things get busy.
  12. RSTK13

yes i press ALT+F in game and sometimes it marks GPU and sometimes it's CPU :/ but when things get busy it's only CPU
    My screen resolution is 1920x1080
  13. Towie

That's kinda confirmed it then - CPU is the problem when things get busy so changing graphics options aren't going to help i'm afraid. GTX 1070 will blitz through anything at 1080p.

You might want to monitor CPU temperatures - you're overclocking a high TDP CPU so if it goes above about 70c, it will throttle.
  14. RSTK13

the problem is here .... my CPU usage don't go over 60% and i'm a little bit paranoid about his temperature so i can affirm that he don't go over 50°C
  15. RSTK13

i don't want to put this one on definitly but that's ON for the moment on my Nvidia settings panel .. (i write this one here because in don't want to make an other screenshot just for 1 line XD)
  16. RSTK13

A little up ?
  17. Towie

Unfortunately it's as I said previously - the CPU is the problem when things get busy and no amount of settings tweaking can help. Your graphics card is not the problem. Forget what the task manager is saying - if PS2 is saying CPU, it is indeed the CPU that is limiting performance.

You might want to check out my comments in this thread - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...king-for-a-good-computer-for-play-ps2.243492/

Funnily enough, the FX8350 is used in the AMD comparison for how much better Zen will be. Afraid the current AMD chips just aren't the best, especially for games. The FX9590 is the fastest AM3+ processor - but even that, when compared to an Intel i5 - is poor.
    I quote from PC Pro - "Despite this performance boost the 9590 still lags Intel's most recent 4770K Haswell processor by 26% and that's despite the AMD's 27% higher base clock. In terms of relative performance the AMD's strong point is Integer processing where it has 8 processing units vs just four (one per core) in the 4770K. Overall, especially at current prices, the 9590 doesn't represent good value for money."

The one thing you could do with your CPU is overclock more - that will help - use the AMD Overdrive software. 4.7Ghz seems a reasonably safe bet (i'd be wary of the 6.3Ghz mentioned in the other thread - that must be an amazing sample as few achieve greater than 5Ghz).
  18. RSTK13

Well .. DX9 is bottlenecking my PC XD , i'm going to buy an i7 6700k for upgrading my computer , thx for answers guys ;)
  19. Towie

That's just about the fastest you can get at the moment - would match your very high end graphics card well...
  20. mgrandy

things to check are

operating system windows 10/7 which are you running?
    windows 10 does look good but you do suffer a loss on performance roughly 10% despite what others say

desktop display resolution check this also?
    lowing your display resolution does not affect the ingame display resolution but it give you less overall load on the OS which then gives you a few extra fps and less load

nivida cards
    these must almost always be set to performance mode not looks so nivida control panel and slide the slider all the way to performance mode.

a few other tweaks are
    turn off windows areo set your PC to performance mode
    Control Panel\System and Security\System\advanced system settings then performance which will switch all the frills off if you still like the visual styles etc on the windows then by all means re enable the use visual styles on windows and buttons

most of the above tweaks cause less load overall on the os
    give this a shot have a good play about and let me know how you get on unfortunately i dont have this cpu i have the older A10 6800k
    but generally the same rules apply

tbh because your CPU dont reach anywhere near the 100% its just going to take alot of trail and error to limit the bottle-necking remember an intel can do way more processes at one time due to hyper-threading where as an amd can do single processes alot faster given the right overclock.

what the above does is reduces your overall OS load to absolute minimum as you will not be needing much of this when playing games anyhow.

fancy desktop wallpapers
    are also a no due to creating even more unnecessary load on your cpu use a solid colour like black or blue as these are far easier for the computer to produce. your not really going to c much of this anyway when gaming