Higby tweet: "what do you really want to see in your empire specific sniper rifle?"

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ISKNausicaa, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Chazt

For the NC I would love a single shot railgun.
    * 1 Bullet magazine (each shot loads a new round manually)
    * Fast bullet velocity (rail weapons)
    * Body Piercing

It would basically be a gun that is completely reliant on landing a heashot similar to a modified bolt-action and would embody the NC's traits of slow rate of fire, high damage, high velocity and would allow for some very interesting shots if it had the ability to pierce the first target hit or something, it would look something like this (with a scope of course)

Artist: http://aarmah.deviantart.com/

[IMG]
  2. Deteno

I've been thinking more about it, trying to figure out what faction equipment would translate best to a sniper rifle. Lancer charge, lasher orbs, chaingun's rapid fire, raven's guided missiles, etc, etc. Problem I keep hitting though is that alone, none of the specific attributes really seem interesting enough to snipe with.I think the best route to go to make something interesting would be to mix each faction's Empire Specific MAX Anti Armor Weapons and their Special Assault Weapon. Combine attributes that are unique to the factions to make something more interesting. Also one of the problems I see with sniping is it's kind of hard to be a team player with them. You can pick off threats to the squad but they are really more about targets of opportunity than supporting your comrades. So I came up with a few ideas that, in theory, would be more of a squad-based option.

TR: Chaingun + Fracture: mix multibarrel action and the missile spam for a sort of long-range gyrojet rifle. Each shot would be a small crimson rocket with only a small amount of acceleration from the weapon itself to keep recoil down and a steadily spinning pair of barrels in place of a blowback mechanism to maintain control. It would be useful for laying down a steady stream of accurate supporting fire, covering an allied advance and rapidly dispatching crowds of enemies.
    Drawback here would be you lose your ability to snap-shot people. You'd have to hold position to get it's effectiveness.
    Similar to Tenebrae's idea but I'm more in favor of being controllable in exchange for having a wind-up time where it's comparable to a semi-auto firing at bolt-action speed. Goes along with the TR's doctrine of getting into place fast then digging into position too. Plus the idea of a red gyrojet gatling gun feels more interesting than a rapid fire sniper rifle. XD

VS: Lasher + Vortex: mix cover-defeating projectiles with charge up mechanics for an infantry-melting plasma orb launcher. A quick tap at charge 1 yields a relatively standard semi-auto shot, maintaining it's usefulness for dispatching the usual sniping targets. Further charging the projectile creates a larger plasma orb, increasing it's damage as well as it's blast/lash range at each level which makes it exceptionally useful for chasing targets out from behind cover, either to shoot them yourself with a quick followup shot or to give your allies the chance to gun them down.
    Drawback would probably be that each individual unit of ammo isn't as effective as a plain sniper rifle. You could use it like the default semi-auto but in that case you'd be better off just getting the semi-auto.
    Again, similar to Tenebrae's idea, but I felt I'd include it for the purpose of addressing all factions. The shield sapping mechanic sounds a bit ambitious to me though.

NC: Jackhammer + Raven: mix storms of small projectiles with guided missiles to get a guided fletchette rifle. It could fire a storm of little fletchettes which would be useful fired from the hip for surprise close range encounters. However when scoped, it's secondary fire function could paint the target location or person which all fired fletchettes would home in on. If you paint part of the scenery it could fan out, pelting everything in the area to suppress and confuse. However if you paint a person, they could home in much more precisely for more pain. This could be used to lay fire down upon the enemy while keeping mostly out of danger, painting a target and ducking behind a hill or some form of cover while firing into the air toward your target.
    Drawback would be that you're giving up the one-hit-kill potential of the Bolt Driver and even the quick sneaky headshots of the semi-autos in favor of something that is more versatile in close range, medium range, and squad support situations.
    Not sure but I think I'm the first person to honestly suggest a sniper shotgun. XD

I have no idea if this will ever get read, I do like coming up with ideas though. 'u'
    • Up x 1
  3. ISKNausicaa

some cool ideas there :)
  4. ISKNausicaa

i know this is a little offtopic but ravenorth posted a thread about the New NS semi potentially being a crossbow

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ay-be-getting-a-crossbow.168545/#post-2435445

[IMG]

It seems a little silly with all this talk of the ES rifles and how they will differ/sit along side the other rifles and not mention how the new NS Semi auto will offer variety without ether being ignored or replacing what we already have in the semi-auto rifle dept.

What unique attributes do you think the NS weapon should have?
  5. K2k4

Here's another idea that I have been thinking about that would really not fit with any empire specific sniper..

NS Vulture - this weapon fires a small condensed electric charge which deals significant damage to the target but does not deal localized damage. The weapon does 800 damage with no drop off until 300m where the small ball lightning charge dissipates completely. This weapon does no extra damage on headshots and is affected normally by nanoweave.

The idea is for this weapon to be great against damaged targets without outshining the regular basr weapons.
  6. FieldMarshall

If Higby wanted to know, he would have made a post about it asking us.
    If he cba to atleast do that then i dont think he cba to read this thread.

Meaning it probably wont matter what "we" want, as he will never even know =[
  7. blag

A bullet travel time that makes sense.

At 300 meters a bullet should hit its target almost instantaneously.
  8. MandozerTheGreat

These are alot of words for some really bad ideas.
  9. Archiadus

I'd like them to all have the exact same stats, just different awesome looks for each faction. :)
  10. Ttariel

*(Bodyshot / Headshot)

TR: The Portable Compensation
    Burst Fire of 3. Magazine of 10
    Standing between Scout Rifle and a Compact Sniper this weapon is used in medium encounters.
    (5Hit / 3Hit)

NC: The Full Murican
    Mag puts rounds in without the need of reloading. Magazine of 4
    Bolt Action planned for open fights and keeping core targets under controle.
    (2Hit / 1Hit)

VS: The Villied Vanuist Villaiance
    Normal shot deals lower damage , charged shot ignores Shields. Magazine of 5
    Used to take away enemy targets in a faster way then usual, but lacking more then any other sniper in close combat.
    (4Hit / 2Hit) with charge (2Hit/ 1 Hit)

Feel free to tell me how bad of an idea this is haha.
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

Well, we can't all be great like you.
  12. Tenebrae Aeterna

He did...he tweeted a message asking what we wanted.
  13. FieldMarshall

Thats the whole point. He Tweeted it... If he never uses the forum, how is he going to see this thread.
    ie. replies to his question.
  14. Takoita

I don't think we need any more sniper rifles - the niche is oversaturated as it is.

Maybe a tool that could kill / force the crew of a tank to bail and allow to kill them and hijack the thing?
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Luperza reads through the forums here, the rest of the development team reads the Reddit. I post on all three to make sure I'm seen by someone, and in the case of my Infiltrator thread...I've tweeted it directly to the development team themselves, put it on Reddit, and here.

That's how.
  16. FieldMarshall

Hope you get noticed after going through all that. +1 for dedication.
    Still think it sucks that they refuse to use their "official" forums to communicate, forcing people to do what you do. Except Lup ofc.
    Spreading everything all over the internet just makes it confusing and frustrating and doesent really benefit anyone except lazy devs.
    • Up x 1
  17. SmokeMcCloud

Sounds like pure ****.
  18. Tenebrae Aeterna

Yeah, it's a bit saddening that they rarely venture on over here and spend the majority of their time on the Reddit. I'm pretty sure that they have seen the previous renditions of my Infiltrator thread...not too sure on the new one.
    • Up x 1
  19. MandozerTheGreat

How's this for something that fits each factions theme without going off on a tangent.

TR: Give them the ability to "double tap" a bolt action by either a smooth bolt action/rechamber time so that you can be eyes down the scope again almost immediately after firing or literally letting them fire 2 shots before needing to reload. This would allow for a more forgiving window to pull off a two shot kill on moving targets.

NC: Give them a gauss sniper that has variable damage. Operate in close-midrange and you can kill a regular infantryman in one shot to the body, heavies with their NMG/Adrenaline shield should survive it or if they were running resist shield. Operate in Long-to near max render distance (350m atm) and damage would degrade to the point you need to aim for the head to kill reliably in one shot or if you want to make more of a point, make it much weaker at this distance (no OHK to the head) to drive the NC sniper to either operate in closer support of their people/pick up a EM4 or their basic sniper for 300-350m work. If you go that route make it suitably powerful in its designated range bracket (aka they can drop a heavy with OS or at least seriously maim them if they are close enough). Include a bit longer chamber time to make up for all this umphh per shot.
    Note this doesn't actually have to use a bolt action at all, make it like a real railgun that needs to charge up energy between shots.

VS: Give them a weapon that caused temporary plasma burns or something of the sort that would disrupt shield regen for a few seconds+cause some light follow on damage for the same timeframe. Ongoing damage would be increased if you hit a part of the body that would be less protected like a limb/the head if somehow that didn't kill them outright. Doesn't sound like much but considering that sniper shot would deplete the shield gauge and you would be wounded even more, it would feel like an eternity before you could get back into the fight. For the sniper, maiming their target in this manner will make the target beat feet back to cover for a significant amount of time (seconds are eternities in combat) or die a dozen ways to friendly forces in the area.

tl;dr: The TR guy hits you twice to be sure, the NC guy is in the thick of it with his friends and blows you away, the VS guy maims you and watches you die slow if you were wounded already to begin with.

Ok cool thats "ideas i came up with in 5 minutes" with Mandozer o7.
  20. ModJPB

These are what I would like to see.

TR
    • Bolt Action - Inspired by the Prowler, a double barrel sniper rifle, can shoot off one bullet right after the next without coming out of zoom or recocking. The clip size is only 2 so one bullet for each barrel and then reload. Less damage but enough to still kill one to the head and two to the body/legs.
    • Semi Auto - Inspired by "anchor mode" uses crouch with a tripod deploy "B". While deployed increased fire rate, decrease reload, more accurate, less recoil, and higher velocity compared to other rifles but only 180 direction turn and requires setup time. Larger clip size. Due to all the additional weight of the gun, when undeployed increase reload, higher recoil, and less accurate.
    NC
    • Bolt Action - Armor piercing rounds Gauss/coil rifle. Able to do slight damage to armored vehicles and more damage to max, esf, flash, and harasser compared to other sniper rifles. Less accurate since you are meant to shoot bigger targets.
    • Semi Auto - A sniper rifle that shoots a bullet that separates into shrapnel (like shotgun pellets) in a very small cone of fire, so high damage midrange but low damage long. This gives it the ability to be able to still hit a target even when a normal bullet would have missed, but not at full potential, and can hit multiple targets with one shot when players are grouped together.
    VS
    • Bolt Action - A weapon that charges up but It is a use it or lose it type. Compared to other sniper rifles it should have lower damage uncharged but one hit kill when charged. If the weapon is charged but not fired after a second it will automatically flash and use up the bullet. It will require a cool down after each charge. The flash and Charged Laser trail should allow the sniper to be easier to spot by enemies.
    • Semi Auto - Inspired by the lasher, it will fire a plasma ball capable of area of affect damage. Low velocity and longer reload. The projectile, like the lasher will be easy to see, so the shooter will be easier to spot.
    I chose these ideas because:
    1. Empire Themed.
    2. Should be easy on the coders of the game since it is using what in already in the game I.e. deploy, change weapon damage type, charge up, and area of affect. This should simply be taking an old gun and fiddling with the stats to make a new gun.
    3. They have advantages and also disadvantages to keep the balance.
    4. THEY ARE AWESOME!!!
    I don't take full credit for some of these ideas as some of them are tweaks of what others have suggested.