Higby: Return of the Tankside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlueSkies, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Movoza

If I'm in a tank, the C4 nerf won't be felt at all. I never get C4ed anyway. I am irritated that I can't C4 farmers at the edge of the battle, or people stupid enough to come close or shelter behind some easy access building/ridge for safety. They aren't punished enough for their mistakes anymore.

I'm curious how the buffs will turn out. Most heavy weapons will need 2 shots extra, which is a big change in many situations.
    I think the lightning will become more of a single gun MBT. Able to dish out some good damage, but not as much as a double weapon MBT.
    The MBT will be much stronger, and uf people play the same, will survive much more. The Vanguard will have some problems though. Against prowlers you can often win by some margin thanks to the shield in close combat. With the health buff, the shield is the only ability that takes a hit. I'm wondering if the Van will still be competitive vs the other tanks. The Van is worse at everything but tanks (and ESF), and it should not be toned down in its only field of advantage in my opinion.

AV turrets will now be nearly impossible to use. The rest is not as bad as people picture it. It is bad, but not a grave. Still, for an infantry weapons platform that is just as expensive as a lightning but with less health, acting like a glass cannon. You have to wonder how it will hold up with such a distance nerf. I mean tanks aren't sliw, so they might escape too easily.

Imho: tanks where tanky enough already, having a great many advantages over infantry. Long range, no COF highly accurate powerful weapons on a speedy platform that can be hit by only a few weapons in the game, most of which have major drawbacks (drop, speed, distance, reload). Then you buff those platforms?
  2. Bonom Denej

Still don't get your point. Do you mean that because the HA would have the last hit it's a buff ? If it's what you're saying then you're just nuts... Don't care about who gets the kill credit, the important part is the tank getting blown up and defending a base.
  3. Juunro

I am mildly curious why anyone thinks that increasing the health on vehicles that have very little actual infantry farming ability will somehow make them all farm infantry better. When was the last time you were killed by an MBT primary aside from out in the open when you were on foot? HE rounds won't kill an HA in one hit with a direct hit if he's rocking the flak armor instead of nano-weave. They also have a burst of damage that is smaller than grenades.

Do you know what tanks are primarily for in this game? It's not farming infantry. It hasn't been farming infantry in forever.

It's protecting your own AMS units and countering enemy AMS units. All this buff does is make them slightly better at that. They have changed nearly all the bases in the game to make it so that getting tanks into them to actually pressure points is difficult if not impossible.

The fact is that to be killed by an MBT's main weapon, you have to be directly hit. To be killed by any of the secondaries, you have to be well within the 200m range they are proposing for the AV weapons. Hell, to die to a canister you've got to be within like 50m unless you stand still and let the gunner put 5+ rounds into you hoping for a lucky pellet spread. The range on the PPA was nerfed to be similar, and lets not even talk about the Marauder. The other AI infantry weapon requires quite good aim; the Kobalt actually rewards accuracy over everything else, and has thus not really been touched.

Let us pose another point.

The most common complaint is the C4 thing, with LA's repeatedly saying "Oh, I only kill bad tankers with C4 anyway; for a tank to let me C4 them they have to be completely incompitent!". Ok. So, where do most of your C4 kills come from then? I would hazard a guess that it's dropping them on clusters of people trying to push a choke point or on MAX units. C4 hasn't been a viable option against deployed AMS units since the new shield, and was never against one that had even one person sitting in a thermal equipped weapon that wasn't asleep. Like you say, tanks tend to shell from far away, so they aren't usually viable targets either. So, is your argument that people who don't yet know how to use tanks will no longer be free certs for you unless they've already taken alot of damage?

Know what this is a nerf to, really? Harassers and all forms of aircraft. As far as Harassers go; good. A 150 cert dunebuggy should fear a 450 cert MBT or a 350 cert LBT. Liberators can still quite easily kill them using Daltons, they just won't be able to single-mag one on a close range attack with the Tank Buster. Valkyries... well, Valkyries; that's all that needs to be said there. ESF's will require slightly more skill to kill a tank now, because they'll have to hover on station in the blind spot longer. This also means that they will be more vulnerable to AA when trying to kill tanks, which seems to me to be how it should have been from the beginning. An ESF should fear jumping a tank column covered in AA guns without doing the sneaky-thing and coming in low from an angle they aren't expecting, right now they don't so much.
    • Up x 1
  4. Iridar51

I assume you meant "C4'ing MAXes and SHOOTING other infantry?" Or did you mean just the C4's KPH?
  5. The_Blazing

It's sad that just because one of their tools was nerfed, now people are crying "RIP Light Assault 2012-2015". It really indicates just how badly the class needs some sort of class-specific perk besides flying around. I'd still like to see a LA spotting/binoculars tool and tracker dart (sticks to vehicles and directs Hornets and Zephers towards them).

That said, considering that infantry are already completely protected inside based, thanks to Wallside 2 and multiple splash damage nerfs, I think this is overall a good idea, actually. Hopefully it will put more emphasis on tank battles between bases, since infantry will not longer be able to just lolzerg them to remove them. The only thing I'm a bit dubious about is vehicle-vehicle balance. Aircraft will have a harder time dealing any significant damage in large battles where AA already prevents them from existing for more than 5 seconds, and flanking will become less effective in tank VS tank battles if cannon damage values remain the same.

Also, if anyone is scared that their Call Of Infatryside 2 experience may be ruined by these changes, remember this: tanks are still unable to kill you in one hit unless they direct-hit you or use a specific gun which makes them much worse at fighting other tanks who are now going to have increased armor.
  6. Iridar51

Points for good points, but still somehow doesn't sound all that inspiring. That's like saying "Shotgun can't kill you unless the user is very close or using slugs, which makes the user weaker in close quarters". Still doesn't change the fact that shotguns are among the cheesiest weapons in the game in certain conditions.
    • Up x 1
  7. BengalTiger

The jetpack can be used not only to reach tanks.

If the LA class didn't have C4 at all, we'd be seeing lots of Boba Fett players who would fly in through a window, kill everyone from behind, and fly away to some nearby rooftop before anyone knows what's happening.

Since there is C4, LA's are considered suicide cruise missiles and nothing more - because that's what's the least risky and gives the best points, so people don't even try anything else.

To me the tank vs tank time to kill is already much longer than it needs to be (8 seconds using Titan AP vs the rear of an MBT is very, very slow compared to the Tankbuster for instance).

Infantry weapons being limited to 200 meters is also.... well, not well thought through.
    It's possible to score hits on stationary AV MANA turrets to 500 meters with the first shot (rangefinder helps a lot).
    Infantry currently often render to well beyond 300 meters, so a Kobalt equipped tank can totally control an open field already.
    And finally, bazooka rockets fly so slow it's possible to see the launch, shoot the guy with the launcher, and then reverse to safety.

I don't see the point here. If anything, the AV turret should have a deployment cost of say 50 nanites and a range of 500 metres, C4 should be set to where it will be set and we're good to go, no armor changes necessary.

Then nothing kills tanks instantly, C4 people included, however infantry still have tools that work.

P.S. The Sundy should become less resistant to damage however, to give the balance of power it would have when tanks get those 40% more HP.
  8. BlueSkies

To be fair, unless you're a medic that flies valks... someone somewhere thinks what you're doing is cheesy
  9. Pikachu

So when people actually play to capture bases and play as a team then ground vehicles are not useful.
  10. Iridar51

Pretty sure a possible OHK from ~100m from an armored beast that most weapons can't even damage is far more cheesy than anything infantry can do to each other, including VS HA, and that's saying a lot.
  11. Pikachu

:eek: Looks like sunderer is usually in the top 3 of killers.
  12. Pikachu

[IMG]
  13. Takoita

Too early to say anything definite, of course, but those nanite costs are better be adjusted too. Otherwise, considering the current spawn intervals, gameplay will devolve into pure :eek:.

Oh, and rocket launchers are gonna be delegated for anti-infantry use only, I suppose.
    • Up x 1
  14. Shatters

You mean, like an infiltrator killing you from 300m away? Or a Raven max killing you from 450m? :eek:
  15. Taemien

If you don't get it then don't worry about it. Somebody's gotta be the content.
  16. Botji

I cant even begin to put to words how idiotic these "balance" changes seem... So I might just put PS2 back on the shelf a few months, things like this is NOT what I wanted to see the first days I come back to it.
  17. Botji

Since the entire forum is crumbling around us I cant Edit my post so il do this.

Looking at the obvious information sources(twitter) I found these from Mr Hair himself:

This isn't a range cap or anything, it's just tuning effectiveness. Deci can hit stuff at 300m+, just not effective.

The net result is buffs for Fracture (Cof, gravity) and Vortex (charge levels) and velocity nerf for Raven.

Ravens WILL have a range cutoff at ~350m since range = velocity/lifetime so slower = less range.

Fractures should just be getting better accuracy at range, Vortex better top damage w/ charge levels, which favors range

(about AV turrets)same basic idea, we're also *considering* adding ammo to turret placement so you can't drop them perpetually.

if we decide to go w/ that it'll likely come along with opening up to squadmates, and 2+ turrets allowed w/ util pouch.

The information in this thread was massively... decieving, the actually planned changes seem to be no where near what is talked about in this thread, AV weapons will still have longer range than 200m etc etc so world is not ending.
  18. Iridar51

Raven MAX can't kill me from 450m, because infantry render distance is 300m, if nothing else.
    Infiltrator has to hit my head, which is a tiny piece compared to the size of the whole hitbox tanks can OHK on. And I can return fire to the infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hatesphere

I remember when I had trouble communicating ideas to people and pretended I knew something other people didn't, but carry on.
  20. BlueSkies

Can't edit posts after 10 mins, so nothing can be added to OP. Also, all of that additional information came out AFTER the forums/reddit/twitterverse exploded.

This is, incidentally, what happens when the primary source of information for a community comes with a 150 character limit.

Also... C4 outrage still valid, Tanks not needing more health still valid (range is something of a secondary concern compared to all AV vs tanks getting their effective damage nerfed by 20%-40%), etc..