Higby proposes a change to weapon medals from kill based to XP based

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FnkyTwn, Jan 27, 2015.

1. FnkyTwn

[IMG]

This would award players medals for contribution to damage, rather than simply who got the kill.

Currently:
    If you put 10 bullets into somebody with another person landing the final killing bullet, you get no medals

Proposed:
    You get awarded medals based off of the damage you put into the kill

This seems like an amazingly fantastic change.
    • Up x 32
  2. Xind

Extreme Menace Threats + Assists being worth more? Absolutely yes.
    • Up x 4
  3. HadesR

Was something suggested By Wrel iirc and it will be a good step .. Since it will be based off raw XP and not boosted
    • Up x 4
  4. FinePool

Would this also change ribbons? If so I like it, more xp and it'd make it a lot easier to get the laser medals.
    • Up x 1
  5. JudgeNu

Would this be retroactive?
    Have they been keeping track of this?
    • Up x 2
  6. \m/SLAYER\m/

it will be great for AA and RL, maybe even for vehicle weapons. for infantry - idk
    • Up x 1
  7. NoctD

It would also reward players for having membership and using boosters. So no, not a good idea at all. Its just another advancement into the P2Wness path the game is taking.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jac70

Silly idea, from the likes of those that whine about removing KDR. Kills are what matter and especially for weapons, that's the metric that should be used for the medal.
    • Up x 1
  9. NoctD

Are you sure it will be based of raw XP? Knowing SOE, they'd base it off boosted instead.

Edit - I just saw it, so Higby did say raw XP. Then it can be considered, but it does dilute the value of actually getting kills.
  10. Hicksimus

I feel this would be a preferable way for them to make money because there are many worse avenues to take.
  11. Unsp0kn

Having an assist worth something would be kind of cool.
    • Up x 7
  12. \m/SLAYER\m/

• Up x 1
  13. FnkyTwn

Higby clarified on Reddit that this would only apply to BASE XP, not to the extra XP you gain from boosts or membership.
    • Up x 6
  14. TheBlindFreak

Interesting. But it makes me wonder how current Auraxim progression would work. Would I have to start over on weapons that aren't finished? What about the directives? Those are currently just set amount of kills that parallel the current medal system.
    • Up x 3
  15. NoctD

I guess they could base it off a simple division like X kills divided by 1160, and set your new metric/number at that percentage of progress in the equivalent terms of raw XP.
    • Up x 1
  16. Unsp0kn

Shouldn't have to start over since the game keeps track of XP per weapon, but no guarantees with SOE. The directives system seemed to update fine when implemented.
  17. FnkyTwn

No, your logic is flawed. Kills are a terrible metric for a lot of weapons. I can't tell you how many times I've put 3 bullets into an already smoking ESF flying overhead and earned the kill. Some pilot, or some Burster or some HA with a Rocket Launcher did 99% of that damage, and it's just silly that I get medals and they don't.

How many times have I put 4 AV grenades and a Decimator into a Sunderer, had it engulfed in flames, and then some ESF waltzes by and tickles it for his medal? It's not a good system as is, and changing it will encourage people to use weapons they haven't before. You'll be encouraged to contribute to the effort more because there's a reward in it for you.
    • Up x 14
  18. Mefi

My main question what goals/achievements will be added later?
    Before directives one would farm auraxium medals. Now we have directives that are going to be a lot easier to complete (at least for weapons).
    Are we going to get more directives or new activities?

Edit: this change is really nice since it promotes teamplay, reduces amount of work required for weapons that have troubles for scoring kills (i.e. g2a weapons) or are easier to use against infantry than intended targets (rocket launchers, prenerfed AV grenades) and generally reduces annoyance when someone "steals a kill".

But what's going to happen after the change?
  19. Unsp0kn

^Agreed, I've taken down a few ESFs with my NS-11P or one Striker rocket after someone else did all the work. Feels cheap to steal a kill from someone like that.
    • Up x 2
  20. NoctD

I might finally get to auraxium those Bursters. Takes a long long time to do.

But if they go with raw XP based weapon medals, maybe the directive kills per class should be changed as well.
    • Up x 1