Higby acknowledges that weapon balancing is done by TR and VS only

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Zorlox

pretty sure it all gets trumped by Higby being NC.
  2. LegioX

I have come to the conclusion that anybody complaining about NC weapons just can't aim. I decided to make a fresh NC character on Mattherson. I went to a 2.5+ k/D with stock Saw gun for HA and see no problems with it. Of course you're going to run into trouble against TR when ur are in CQC due to their high rate of fire, but the Saw owns if you use burst fire and control your shots. I see no problem.
  3. Eyeklops

Two of the most important people on the Planetside team are NC, Smed (SOE CEO), and Higby (Creative Director). It would not suprise me if they both get the final say on anything from general game mechanics, to what gun should be better in different situations. Weapon designers Maggie & Jimmy may not play for the NC, but no doubt answer to them as Smedmeister and Higgles pull the strings from backstage.

This showed in beta too! I swear, every stinking beta-bug that gave any factional advantage was biased toward the NC. When the Reaver got it's rocket pods it was the strongest by far and it had a goofy momentum bug that allowed it to maintain a speed far faster than intended. There was even a bug that locked a key tactical facility (Regent Rock) from being hacked, you can guess who got uncontested ownership on that one, NC. NC were so overpowered that by the second week of beta the TR & VS struggled to get 30% combined ownership in Indar (the only continent at the time). Anybody who wasn't NC was operating on skeleton crews because everybody wanted "Auraxium" to buy upgrades. Because of the massive economic bias, NC had all the best weapons, best upgrades, and a huge population advantage. They literally destroyed everything that moved.

Even in the present the Hacksaws are way more OP over the other maxes than the Magrider is over the other tanks. The Jackhammer is about to be buffed and I would bet my first born child that it will be the most OP gun in the universe on the first pass. Ohhh great pendulum of balance, why must thou always swing clean past OP and peg to nuclear when NC weapons are involved?

Regardless of all that, NC weapons are not "terribad" like most of you claim. Just because you can't properly take advantage of your factions weapon traits doesn't mean your guns suck, it means you need to L2PYourFaction.
  4. Vortok

I hate humanity some most of the time.
    • Up x 1
  5. Koadster

More like just bad NC players. Never had trouble with NC weapons wether using them or againist them, always pretty even and with such low TTK if the NC player gets the drop on a TR they will be dead anyway.

Ill take the NCs 845 ROF Carbine over the TRs 800 one.

If your standard guns are getting buffed.. Scatmaxes will need to be nerfed to bring you more inline with everyone else
  6. TheArchetype

NC guns can perform really well if you use them correctly, though they are pretty unforgiving if you try to use them like TR or VS.

It seems pretty sad though that devs would actually change balance in favor of the factions that they liked best. I don't think that's the case. I would like to see some more attention to the NC though.
  7. Excellentz

Well jesus....this is evident, although totally out of context I am sure!
  8. Excellentz

Well I just tweeted at Higby. He'll hire me I am sure!
  9. Vortigon

While your at it - NERF hacksaw!!

They take out enemy Maxes in under 1 sec - nothing should do that in this game.
  10. TomaHawk

Either weapons across factions need to be IDENTICAL save for skins, models, and particle effects, or, SOE does side by side, quantified, and equal testing among all weapons combinations across the factions and creates balanced faction counterparts based on the numbers. The disadvantage with the former option is homogeneity, or making the faction weapons "feel" the same regardless of your side but it's easier to implement, and of the latter, it takes more time, possibly code, and a lot of testing. It's harder.

I actually am ok with the NC ScatterMax being the only Max capable of one-click (or it feels this way in game) kills, at a severe cost in range, timer, resource points, and ability to self heal/repair. Allow the VS to have a stronger different class Max, and same with the TR. That way, you give the class different strengths across the factions without making all the weapons feel and play the same. It's a tough balancing act, something no MMO has mastered, from my experience. But I think it can be done.
  11. MayorD

[IMG]
  12. {joer

The Reaver is slightly behind the mosquito and scythe, (and oddly the best pilots on Soltech are NC but whatever).

Other than that whats exactly "bad" about the NC?
  13. Vorpal

The pistol dude is Tr. Everyone else is VS :D
  14. Lexicon

^ That.

Seriously, people are still complaining about NC weapons? My main account is BR 57 Vanu on Mattherson, but I've also now got a BR 24 NC on Connery. Let me tell you; I would not swap my EM6 for ANY weapon in the game. That thing is a killing machine; huge clip, very reasonable ROF, very accurate, and owns many at long range. Very underrated weapon, as are a lot of NC's.
  15. Ash87

Dang it boy! Personal experience doesn't factor into this, it's all Numerical advantages!

I am appalled by your choice of blueness but I feel inclined to force this opinion down your throat: The Only Duty of Any solider of any army, is to complain incessantly about the guns of other armies! Victory only lies in the fervent devotion to the superiority of enemy arms. Your minor advantages that make the TR- Er... NC, Great (ish, kinda, not really) should never be mentioned either! 10 extra rounds per clip, no bullet drop, greater firepower, Only FOOLS go for such easy things, ultimately that undermines your authority if you use easy arguements. The true path to victory is to throw out Endless Streams of Numbers! People aren't calculators or computers (If they were war would be easier! Because TR computers are Superior!) therefore such will scare their pathetic minds into seclusion, thus winning you the moral victory!
  16. Jaloro

Most decent players I have spoken to said they prefer the SAW. I prefer the SAW even though I wouldn't consider myself decent. The large clip and extra damage easily make up for the recoil once you are good enough to compensate for it. The problem is they put this into the hands of all NC BR1's who then try the Orion and go W.T.F IS THIS $HIT? The NC starter gun should be one of the more stable ones in their selection.

Xasapis was right in my book, except for the Reaver which really is a flying brick.

The tanks could use some tweaks but there is no getting away from the Prowler just being godly against infantry. It just blows when facing a Mag at range (although god help that Mag or anything else if it can use its Vulcan). The Sauron and strafing will dominate any land vehicle at range. That could use some kind of tweaking no doubt.

But both NC and TR love to slate the Mag because it is so different without acknowledging that their tanks do have some advantage. If the profile of the Prowler was tightened and the armor of the Vanguard strengthened I think we are there.
  17. r1stormrider

do your burst fire, ill just use a VS gun then proceed to rush you down going full auto with no thought. you'll be dead and ill be standing. then ill do the same to your buddies in the immediate vicinity. i can do the same with a T9 carv as well. you're already firing less rounds than me, if i so much as land a couple shots on you the flinch mechanic sets in at which point i have you dead to rights.

im a pretty good shot so i can handle the NC guns quite well, but not all of us are seasoned FPS players. our newbies suffer the most of all 3 factions because our stock weapons are not nearly as good in comparison to the TR/VS weapons. hell if i wanted to, all i would need on the LMGs/carbines are reflex sights and nothing more for the TR/VS weapons. who needs to spend station cash on guns when i can easily be more than capable to maximum battle rank without ever buying the aftermarket weapons? TR/VS are cheap, easy to use, and quite efficient.
  18. Excellentz

Its just the NC's reaver that sucks. otherwise we are completely on par with TR....VS on the otherhand...they should be considered "The House" in this situation...they always win(But not on Genudine, NC4life!)!
  19. {joer

Exactly my thoughts, though the reaver doesn't "suck", its just not quite as good. With ESF's and lock on missiles currently its a moot point as no one is winning due to ESF's dog fighting. Its zerg size when it comes to air now completely.
  20. Armchair

The imbalance extends beyond vehicles. There are significant balance issues with infantry small arms.