Higby acknowledges that weapon balancing is done by TR and VS only

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ZEPLN

NC guns are harder to learn than VS and TR guns. While I do think the initial learning curve is much steeper for the NC, they are extremely good once you master each of their little quirks and flaws. Still though, play NC for a few months and then go to TR or VS and pull their guns out. Those guns are ridiculously easier to use in general.

I don't care what the devs do at this point though. I've learned to use what was provided and I kick *** anyways.
    • Up x 3
  2. Rhumald

Can I volunteer? I Volunteer.

What am I saying? I don't volunteer, I'm Voluntelling you, put me on that team, I'll set them straight and be professional about it, IBMer's honor.

That's like, better than Scouts honor.
  3. Iksniljiksul

Well that's kind of lame. I work, I raise a family, I do my yard work, I do chores, I run errands, and I still find time to play test everything in this game.
  4. Marked4Death

So TR and VS devs just gave the NC a Mauler (thanators or barrage) that does max damage (672 per shot) up to 12m (2.4 x the normal shotgun range) and faster projectiles.
    I can CLEARLY see the bias here.
  5. Talizzar

300 whole certs? LOL Maybe you just got better and learned how to shoot the weapon?
  6. Antivide

My sarcasm -----------

Your head ----------

Woosh
    • Up x 1
  7. Wobberjockey

so when did twitter become as reliable as a sworn affidavit?
    also have you people never heard of saying something in jest?
  8. Antivide

He also joked about rocket pods not being nerfed.

Ehm. Higby is a master troll.
  9. DuckSauce

Okay, random guy who has a VS alt on Connery. Maybe if you actually told me your character name?

I HOPE you've killed me many times -- I have a **** ton of hours logged in PS2, mostly infantry, and I've been killed by a lot of people. :p

The SAW isn't the Orion, and you can't ADADAD and spray ADS with it at 20m, or even hipfire it at ALL except at knife ranges. It's a perfect gun for finding good cover, corner peeking in search of a target, standing still for half a second and dropping a guy with perfect accuracy before ducking back into cover or doing a little dancing yourself in search of a new target. Don't act like you have to stand motionless in an open field to use the damn thing, CoF recovery is FAST.

If you measure weapons -- ESPECIALLY the long-range variants like the SAW, Reaper DMR, TMG-50, Corvus, SABR-13, blah blah blah blah blah -- based on how you do with them in face-to-face, see-each-other-at-the-same-time one-on-one duels, you're playing a different game than the rest of the world. So sure, let's have some duels at different ranges -- and unless you're just better at shooters than me (or, God forbid, I'm better than you -- see where this would maybe not be the best way to test weapon balance?) I guarantee you I'll lose more often at CQC and win more often at long range
  10. DuckSauce

The Mauler does 858 at max, the Jackhammer 672 at max. Should still be a 2 shot kill on infantry other than HA+shield, though, and could be an interesting heavy weapon if it is made accurate enough.
    • Up x 1
  11. illgot

Since when have you ever known a person to be truely unbiased?
  12. Aghar30

Considering Higby is a huge NC fanboy, he may have been joking around, tweets should never be used for official statements, but for some odd reason every company is doing it now.
  13. Kurreah

Its been joked about by other members of the team. I doubt if they considered that it would be taken seriously.
    While I expect most of the weapons balance team do play PS2 to some extent, and some may play a single faction and be as enthusiastic about it as the fans on the forums, balancing the factions is their job. They are professional game designers, and part of being professional is to do a good job regardless of personal feelings. They aren't going to play silly beggars with their career just because one of the video games they play has a side that they like more than the others.

It may be a personal fantasy of a few of the playerbase to be in a position to buff their favourite faction, but anybody who has actually hit the workplace is going to understand the difference between favouritism in a game and that at their job. I can't imagine many of the playerbase believe that the faction that the people in charge of weapon balance play most actually has a solid bearing on the outcome of their decisions regarding the game as a whole. Unless its part of that "All corporations are evil and all employees of companies are incompetent and/or corrupt until proven otherwise. At which point its a cover-up." mindset that seems so popular nowadays.

You got pretty much exactly the reasons that they don't use the official forums much I think. The Twitter/reddit etc are the personal accounts of some of the employees, where they can discuss non-game stuff, shoot the bull and joke around. The official forums are official and an announcement on there is one by the company itself, which it will likely be held to.
  14. Aerius

Dear NC; only your LMG sucks. Your GD7F is just as good as the Serpent and your GR22 is just as good as the Cycler and HV45, stop pretending your entire faction is broken.
    I must say though, why on earth do the VS/NC have an 845 RPM carbine and the TR have only an 800? That just seems stupid.
    • Up x 1
  15. Duff_Chimp

I hope you aren't suggesting what you said was sarcasm? Flippancy more like. Really you must be American or something, don't you know that sarcasm doesn't work on the Internet.

Really I dare you to add something other than 'sarcasm' and gesturing to the debate.
  16. LordMondando

I think the issue is, they put a bunch of stats together. They don't play with them for hours in the actual game.
  17. VSMars

... or, for that matter, laying down covering fire.

Seriously, when I have my turret out, most of the time I use it as an area denial weapon (like most stationary MGs are used in real life). That means I'm forcing the other side to keep their heads down, giving my side easier approach and flanking possibilities on the enemy position - but that also means I have a shot land rate of something like 2% during that fight, at most.
  18. Deschain

this for real ? lol, now we know the reason NC are suffering.
  19. RobotNinja

VS and TR can get by just fine with their faction default weapons. They can even excel with them. If you have Alpha Squad too...hell, you're golden.

NC? Whew...be prepared to dump some cash down a hole (at least 50 bucks) just to be barely on par with TR & VS defaults.

If you're just gonna sit in a vehicle the whole game and be a xp-wh*re, you're good. But if you expect to do any ground combat and capture bases you're gonna need to engage in close combat and good luck doing that with slow-mo activated.
  20. MarkAntony

Which doesn't work in a Game because no one is afraid for his life. In a game with 5 second respawn death is meaningless and so is cover fire.