Higby acknowledges that weapon balancing is done by TR and VS only

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MurderBunneh

Some people are just wrong like the guy you quoted. The merc is one of the only 167 damage guns that was allowed to be equal in ttk and dps to the high rof guns and it shows in it's effectiveness. The other that comes to mind is the EM6 which is our best all around ttk lmg but is still inferior to the TR VS best ttk dps lmg's.
    • Up x 1
  2. Duff_Chimp

**** are we?

You imply perfect balance, which isn't the case. Nor in any game. I did say the differences are negligible and one gun is as good as another when it comes to killing peeps. Arguing the toss about one gun killing a few milliseconds quicker and how this greatly disadvantages you is just plain sad.
    • Up x 2
  3. DuckSauce

Yep.

The EM6 is a 6-shot kill, so at 10m it refires 5 times at 5 / (600RPM / 60s/M ) = 0.5s
    The Orion is a 7-shot kill, so at 10m it refires 6 times at 6 / (750 / 60) = 0.48s

And the Gauss SAW is just the worst. You need to refire it four whole times at 4 / (500 / 60) = 0.48s

So inferior, how dare they.
    • Up x 3
  4. Xae

*whoooosh*
  5. Itermerel

I personally feel that the gauss saw is the most powerful LMG (if you can aim)
  6. MurderBunneh

That is theoretical ttk at 0 meters. assuming all shots hit. Do it at 10 meters and give the shooter 33% accuracy and tell me what the numbers look like. 33% is the average accuracy of a player in PS2 according to Higby.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApH3DlM1yfRAdDJ5N2VoR3IxbEtTTnRRTE1taFVJdlE&output=html

The best ttk chart out there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/...tive_damage_and_ttk_nov_29th_now_with_recoil/

This explains his method how he took recoil into account and what ranges went into the calculations.
  7. Kurreah

It would be nice to think that a whole bunch of people simply didn't get the joke. However, after reading some of the stupidity that occasionally crops up, I reckon that there is a 1 in 3 chance that the OP was actually serious.

Either way, it highlights why some of the SOE people talk on twitter/reddit rather than the forums.
  8. Zecthans

Scatmaxes beyond 8-15 meters are just crap , they can't hit **** since its basically 6 shotguns mounted onto a MAX suit. Its the only strength a scatmax has ..Close range. Ps1 was the same way , yes scatmaxes did have a tighter spread setting , but it was **** compared to a anchored TR max beyond 8-15 meters , do you see the trend here? Our MAX weapons where designed to be heavy hitters at close range. The scatmax is balanced. I think you have a ''He killed me so many times in the SCATMAX I'm going to call it OP'' Complex.
    • Up x 1
  9. LameFox

...and yet my far more suicidal than usual NC alt does better than a 1:1 kill to death ratio using (so far) just the 30 cert reflex sight.
  10. Skadi

If you can only land 33% of the shots at 10M with the gauss rifle you seriously need to find a new game to play.

Seriously, any ******* weapon where you only hit 33% of the shots will be bad if the your opponent knows how to shoot.

Also that % is absolutely invalid due to alot of players spraying at ceilings of buildings while capping while bored, testing recoil, and just plain being silly in the warpgate.
  11. Phazaar

Deadly serious; it's something that's been suggested more than once by other members of the development team, and given that Higby is here denouncing the accusation that they were favouring the NC and buffing their weapons first by stating that they have no bias to do that because the whole balancing team are TR and VS, I can't really see a reason to read this as some peculiar sarcastic rebuttal.

The reason for talking on Twitter/Reddit either comes down to associated sponsors [unlikely], a media department obsessed with the success of similar games' 'associated social media' (see: FarmVille et al.) [likely], or not wanting to be in the situation they've been in with previous games, where developers have let slip things on the 'official forums', thus making them 'official' and more likely to destroy faith in the development team if proposals aren't realised [likely].

Either way it's an obtuse decision from a developer that is continuing to fall short of the hopes and expectations of many.
  12. MurderBunneh

Duh they don't look at a persons global hit rate? Ha ha ha. They have ways to measure these things during testing duh. You keep saying a fully kitted SAW like it is a god gun are you saying you have no problem hitting 33% with a adv grip and comp?

Then you are talking out your *** or you are ads at 10m range which is so bad I won't even go there. If you are ads and not moving inside 20m then you are bad and I will kill you 1v1 90% of the time. 100% of the time if we see each other at the same time.

I don't think you use this gun except for select situations that it is good at and I doubt you have used it much at all. Fully tricked out it is very much a 1 trick pony and that 1 trick is not a role I associate a with a HA that much of the time.
  13. Ultramarine

The missing piece of data here is the effects of NC's god awful RECOIL and piss poor accuracy. :p we're balanced in close range, mid to long range the TR pull ahead, and long range vanu will dominate.
    (note i play all 3 factions, and this is my observation)
  14. DuckSauce

"You can beat the 29% TTKs by aiming better than average or starting the fight stationary/crouched, or by compensating for recoil better than average[...]"

Starting the fight stationary, compensating recoil, you mean like... using NC's slow RoF guns?

Don't give me this outdated data, either. Slow-firing NC weapons got a buff to movement accuracy during GU1 and it was quite noticeable to anyone not set on crying UP. Even then, these 29% TTKs are ludicrous. The 25m scoped TTK on the SAW is 0.6s, but the 29% skill is 0.96s. Are you really missing a third of your shots at 25m? Really?

Also, you might notice this little piece on the weapon thread:

"Overall, the game is very balanced, NC could use a tiny buff. If you whine on the forums with this conclusion/my info/calcs I will castrate you."

NC GOT a tiny buff, TR got a tiny nerf. And apparently you're getting castrated by some guy on Reddit.

In the meantime, please stop pretending there's some kind of weapon balance conspiracy.
    • Up x 1
  15. MurderBunneh

Now back to the hell that is trying to get my Auraxium medal on my EM1.
  16. MurderBunneh

Yes lets throw out the way the game is played because standing ads is THE way to not die and get plenty of kills amirite? Come at me 10 times with a fully decked out Saw I will use a STOCK Orion lets see who wins more. I am not BS I have a VS on your server have killed you many times we can do it right now.
    • Up x 2
  17. Ultramarine

conspiracy? no. Balance maybe, the NC was the big popular faction, so starting them off at a slight slight disadvantage pushes players to the other two (i play all 3, and have the best luck with the TR weapons) and may level them off and further diversify the factions strengths and weaknesses once a relatively balanced playerbase is set ensuring the game is not a slaughterfest.
  18. Skadi

You dont realise how close 10M is do you?
    i can HIPSPRAY while moving, and hit more than 33% of the time, and the Accuracy % is measured on shots fired, they cant tell if you were intenting to shoot somebody, they see you shot bullets, bullets hit enemy, bullets hit wall beside enemy, bullets hit wall cause your bored and shooting, they CANNOT tell the difference between the two unless there watching you play.

As in the Number he threw out there, 33% is completely invalid due to the fact people WRECK their accuracy by firing at walls because there bored or testing recoil...

They CANNOT tell what you were shooting at when you shot at the wall, so they haft to assume you were shooting at a enemy, so again, 33% accuracy across the bored is a inaccurate (no pun intended) number.
  19. Kortez12

Honestly if you have faction bias at all you are a major tool. The game is best when the factions are balanced and that's pretty much all there is to it.

That goes for devs and players.
  20. MurderBunneh

Sigh... really? I just told you I seriously doubt they are looking at global gun %. I am sure they looked at typical engagement ranges and the amount of shot fired vs hits it is not rocket science.