Help with the Liberator setup

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Amnoon, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Amnoon

I have seen a lot of threads about this question but all of them were very old so i want an opinion up to date. My primary question is about what do you prefer the Dalton or the Zephyr? and how do you cert in the lib slots? I find the auto repair very usefull but i really don't know what is the more useful right now.

Thanks for your help!
  2. Forlorn Hope

Depends on what you are using the Lib for. Shredder is amazing scales extremely well for the cert investment, definitely the best all around gun. Dalton is good for AV and Zephyr is good for AI, Shredder is better then Zephyr AI when infantry are spreadout.

Frame wise, go to the VR and try it out. It seems most pilots prefer High G with a few who prefer precision. Almost no one uses Racer even though the recent buffs have made it more useful.

NAR is still best in its slot. Comp Armor does have its niche now though. If your going to be learning to fly and attacking ground targets it might be worth it to run Comp Armor that way when you do get shot by a tank as you are learning to fly it doesnt hurt so much. The boost against Dalton damage is nice as well.

Afterburner is more fun overall for its slot but requires one of the heaviest cert investments in the game to max. The recent buff has made it more usable all around though. Afterburner takes time to learn how to use properly but I think it extends my lifetimes much further then Fire Supp. Fire Supp is cheaper though and a viable choice.

So overall I didn't really help that much besides give you options :). It all depends on what you want to do. Hunt other Libs? Go Shredder/Comp Armor/Fire Supp what to fly in and out quickly doing fast alpha damage while repairing on your route adjustment go Dalton/NAR/Afterburner its all situation. Personally though for an all around Liberator loadout I run, High G, NAR, Afterburners, Tankbuster/Shredder/Bulldog, Mag Size and Thermal on all guns.
    • Up x 2
  3. Amnoon

I want the lib to sup the battle in the ground. I will try the compositions you said in the VR and let's see. What is the best combination with the bulldog?
  4. Flashtirade

Anything really.
    You could go Zephyr Bulldog for maximum peasant destruction.
    You could put on the Dalton if you want to wreck tanks, sunderers, and other aircraft that you may find while the Bulldog handles the squishies.
    You could equip the Shredder for a little bit of both worlds.
    They're all viable choices now, it's all up to what you want to do.

Also keep in mind that splash damage does not work in VR so it won't give you a good feel of what to expect on live.
  5. dstock

Short Version (I gotta go somewhere):

First:
    Fire Suppression 1 & 2
    Nanites 1, 2, 3
    Frame 1 & 2 (try in VR, start w/ high-g, try precB and racer)

FS is really cheap for the first few ranks, and will help you survive/earn certs to buy AB.
    NAR, even with increased timer, is still the best all-around, most noob friendly, and best benefit to newer players in air-to-air combat.
    The frame is purely preference. I always fly High-G, but PB works OK with the Shredder. With the buffs to Racer and AB, I've been pulling Racer frame more, but this is a niche loadout, IMO, and requires a good AB to really make it sing.

For the weapons:
    Get the TB first. It costs 100 certs, totally changes the playstyle. I don't think new pilots will have much enjoyment flying a Lib with the Vektor.

There are two philosophies on belly weapons. You either cert out the plane you want (for each seat), or you cert out the plane your crew wants (let them tell you what they like). After a while, you'll find the two philosophies merge into one, as you invest more and more.

The best advice I can give is to put 2x (rank 2) zoom on the Shredder. Cert out the first two ranks of MagCap (100+200=300 certs for 10 extra rounds per mag). Play with that for awhile. Figure out what you struggle to do with the Shredder, and get the belly weapon that provides the counter-point. Love the AI on the Shredder? Get the Dalton for tank hunting. Love picking tanks at high-altitude? Get the Zephyr for focused AI work.

The hardest part, IMO, is the tailgun. The stock Drake is actually solid now, I have two guys I fly with that prefer it over the other options. The Walker is a beast at AA, and will help you ping armor with the Shredder. The Bulldog is great for AI, but many gunners will struggle with it for AA (I lost my touch, I spent about 30-40 minutes streaming yesterday as a Butt-dog gunner, got like 1 kill, lmao). The Hyenas aren't worth it, the DPS/skill ratio is too low. The only thing they do well is hybridize the Bulldog and Walker, letting you pound ground targets with rockets, if you so choose.

Gotta run, I'll check back later if you have more questions. Best of luck.

EDIT: Just saw your post, what goes best with Bulldog? Shredder, hands down. The Bulldog leaves you more vulnerable to air than the other weapons, unless your gunner is top-tier. The Shredder gives you some point defense against air, does solid against armor, and w/ thermals, provides a nice helper to your Bulldog.
    • Up x 2
  6. Amnoon

ummm.... ****. OK i will try both (the Dalton and the Zephyr) with the trial period. is the Dalton an all around weapon than the Zephyr? or neither of them?
  7. Amnoon

Thanks dstock for the reply i will try it
  8. WycliffSlim

The dalton is more of an all-around weapon. It can counter armor quite well, and air if you have a talented gunner. It's competent against infantry.
    The Zepher is definitely better against infantry but it struggles vs armor and air.
    • Up x 1
  9. Akashar

You can really go with either, but most experienced crews will tell you that the dalton is the best go-to weapon. You can't disappoint someone with it, as it is the most forgiving one (fast velocity, high damages on every target types...) and requires next to no investment (the 200 certs light vision is the must have)
  10. Amnoon

I have test that if i choose the Dalton or the Zhefer + the bulldog i am very weak against air. I have see that a lot of people use the Zhef and the Dalton as an AI weapon too but my friends are not enought skilled to do that so... What is better: take the dalton/zhef and change the bulldog or change the dalton/zhef? so if a change the bulldog, what i should get?
  11. Brahma2

Thank God people love to give me so many free kills.
  12. tZonkD

It largely depends on your gunner/s (and you really should have one or a few you fly with regularly if you're serious about libbing) tbh, but a "safe" well rounded layout is:
    guns: tankbuster, shredder, bulldog
    craft: high-g, nars, fs (or ab if you have certs to spare)

Tankbuster should be your first prio as it takes time to learn to use well and lets you as a pilot play a more active role. After that i would suggest working on your airframe. Personally i prefer thermal optics on all 3 guns as it helps rapid target acquisition, and that will help you to stay alive.

Dalton is better for AV duty at altitude, but mediocre against infantry and plain bad against air unless your gunner's very good (or your targets very bad ; ) The zeph.. well its a workable gun but it just does not offer enough to be a serious contender IMO. A magazine certed shredder is far more versatile, doing ok against most types of targets and for more forgiving if your gunners not that great/experienced. The bulldog gives you some nice boost so AI capabilities and does great AA damage, if the hits connect (arguably quite hard to do, but far from impossible).
  13. Akashar

When they use dalton? I don't understand.
  14. Brahma2

Then continue living in ignorance.
  15. Akashar

Good for me that this thread is about learning the best build for liberators! I could have thought that you were just condescending, but no, you are really giving me a piece of advice! "continue living in ignorance", what an awesome thing to do! Thanks, mr top planetside 2 player, for sharing this information.
    Now, as I did not see any other advice from you anywhere on this thread, I'll assume this is the best you can do.
    So, thanks again for pushing your brain for us at its extreme limit and giving us "advice", now it would be nice if you went polishing your ego somewhere else. Nobody cares about your br 99 opinion when you say something like this. It doesn't help anyone.
  16. Brahma2

Good, I would hate to start.
  17. Govedo13

70 Mag Shredder >>>> Dalton unless you are one of those guys that rarely miss Dalton shots and even then I would take Shredder all day long , it is just more noob friendly. I still safe the last 1000 cert to open the final 5 rounds.

Hyenas,Spur,Vector,Duster- useless. Drake- useless ( I guess it was nefed again with last basilisk nerf or)

Dalton- I am not that good dalton gunner, flown with some good on bulldog seat it is great vs all but only if the gunner is extreme good. After the splash damage nerf vs infantry it is even harder to use.
    For AV work Shredder is a way more forgiving at high attitude because you can lead even running ESFs and Harrassers at 500 m above them if you are experienced. If you use Dalton they turn you use 1 huge DPS portion because it is single shot, if it is Schredder then you loose 15-10 bullets only till you compensate. Proper Dalton usage requires also expensive reload updates.

Schredder
    Personally 2X zoom works better for me then 2,5x and 3x because it allows me to lead better my air targets and the difference vs vehicles is minimal,I prefer it on bigger fights combined with Zoomed Bulldog or Walker keeping high attitude. If the battle is smaller then Thermal Schredder and thermal bulldog work better at low attitude.

Zepher
    I use Zepher/Bulldog combo rarely when flying solo Lib. It is more platoon-oriented setup that have really strong anti-infantry suppression effect. In 12-24 battles without much vehicles or in walled bases single lib can tottaly control the flow of fight.
    I personally see no benefit of using reload update on Zepher, better up your Bulldog ammo instead.
    However it fails vs everyone that attack you in air. It is hard to kill experienced ESFs with Bulldog and even harder with Zepher so you are entirely depended on your team-mates. I does not use Walker because it is already all-in loadout and if the ESF is stupid enough to die from walker it would die from Bulldog as well.
    Zepher/bulldog combo is extreme good for farming infantry if you find proper infantry farm like on this video. It works best combined with stealth. It is the ultimate troll at some specific locations.

Sadly the quality is bad because I didn't knew that build-in recording program is piece of Nanites.
    / Thank you SOE for the useless feature/