Help With Capping FPS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CJ2DaRescue2, Feb 12, 2018.

1. CJ2DaRescue2

I am trying to optimize my settings for the best in game performance for my gaming laptop. I've been learning about how everything works from a very helpful iridar post on his website. http://iridar.net/planetside2/performance-guide/

I got to the part where you should cap FPS using a program called Riva Tuner Statistics server to prevent tearing. I've downloaded and installed the latest version 7.0.2 ,but it doesn't seem to be working for me. After adding the planetside launch exe file and setting the fps I see no overlay to cap FPS. When I hit alt + F I get around 120 gpu in the warpgate and bouncing between 70-80 in large fights.

The following are some of my current settings. I've put graphics quality on medium as well. gpu fps is in the 60-70's, but the laptop gets quite warm so I just use low settings.

I appreciate the time taken to read this and help advise my setup.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG]

Asus G751J
    https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JY/specifications/

[IMG]
  2. CJ2DaRescue2

Here's a user options pic as well.

[IMG]
  3. DeadlyOmen

Gaming laptop? Why?
  4. JibbaJabba

If tearing is an issue, simply use v-sync.

Smoothing can also help. It will artificially cap framerates to the maximum that the game can consistently hit. I recommend it.
  5. CJ2DaRescue2

I've been using the smoothing. It's been pretty good. I was just trying to use the Riva Tuner since Iridar said:

RTSS’ FPS limiter operates at CPU-level, which is the closest an external method can get to the engine-level of an in-game limiter. The Nvidia limiter is driver-level, which is one further step removed from engine-level.
  6. CJ2DaRescue2

When I hit alt + f to look at fps sometimes I says gpu and sometimes it says cpu. Can someone please explain why it swtiches like that? Thx
  7. Sazukata

It notes which component is bottlenecking; as in, which processor is holding back framerate the most.

CPU will usually be displayed if you're in a massive fight with millions of calculations going on. GPU will usually be displayed if it's working on the rendering of terrain and objects more than calculating entity interactions and such.

I would gauge my overall PC knowledge as "moderate", so others can correct me if my explanation is inaccurate.