Help me understand...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by entity009, Aug 5, 2015.

1. entity009

I really don't understand how people are able to kill me near instantly from 50+ meters (im guessing multiple headshots) with a close to mid range carbine. At that distance even a 3 round burst (not from a burst fire weapon) has a shot group way larger than my head. I am not ranting. I am genuinely asking here, how is it possible? Even when I am still and crouched I cannot replicate this feat, yet I run into people who do it nearly 100% of the time even while I am jet packing and dodging. I understand there is a skill curve, I am not asking about this. I am asking how it is possible at all given the gun physics.

Also there have been times where I will catch someone from behind and open up on them aiming at high chest/ neck area and have them soak 5-8 rounds before they even see me, then turn around and kill me in 5 shots while I continue to shoot them. When i get shot in the back of the head death is in the order of .5-1 sec, there is no time to turn around and see who is shooting me. What am I missing here?
  2. ColonelChingles

Dunno about this first part, but the reason why this might be happening to you is that in PS2 firearms have barrels made out of wet noodles. Something like this:

[IMG]

In PS2 your firearm lies to you. Constantly. Your iron sights or optics will tell you that your shots will go straight, but in reality the more you fire the more noodle-like your barrel is flailing about. We call this the "Cone of Fire" (it should be called the "Cone of Shame" because it's a horrible mechanic in a FPS game). The more you fire, the more your shots will disperse. This is different from recoil (which PS2 also has) because recoil will actually shift your sights.

Good players will fire in shorter bursts to minimize the CoF growth. This improves the chance of shots going where they should be going. Good players will also learn the recoil pattern of their firearm (if there is one) to drag in the direction and amount to counteract recoil.

We've had a lot of threads about CoF and recoil and how the system should or should not be fixed... but as it currently exists it can make for some very frustrating moments.
    • Up x 1
  3. CorporationUSA

Part of it is lag. Sometimes I die instantly from a carbine or SMG when I know I should have at least had time to process that I was being shot.

Also, the carbines are pretty accurate. They don't quite have the long range killing power of an LMG, but they are easy to control.
  4. entity009

I get the lag part. I imagine some of it is packet loss or net code or whatever. The issue I have is that I've run into several players who do this almost 100% of the time. Many times the gun involved is the stock NC carbine the AF-19 Mercenary. That carbine is a cross between medium range and fire rate.

The thing about getting the jump on someone shooting them in the back of the head several times then having them turn around, acquire me as a target and return deadly fire is that I am not missing. I am getting a hit indicator on every round.

I have read about and experimented with the quick burst method where you let off the trigger for a split second while firing to maintain a small cone of fire. Honestly it feels like an exploit but even doing this I cannot replicate the accuracy I have been victim to.
  5. UberNoob1337101

It's definitely lag/bad ping that is creating those situations, let's say, I hit you 4 times in the head which is just enough to kill you, but due to my bad ping/connection the shots don't register instantly but instead they "combine" into one big amount of damage. So instead of you registering consecutive shots, you just get a massive amount of damage you can't react to.

The second one though is likely max rank nanoweave armor that I run :p It allows you to soak up crazy amounts of damage before you even go down. Though, if you get shot in the back of the head you are likely to die because the only really good way of shooting people behind their head in this game is to get right behind them and hold the trigger, my only advice is to be aware of every surrounding or obstacle and try to predict enemy movement and move trough areas that are very rarely or never traversed by your enemies.
  6. Goretzu

It is most likely lag of some sort, however equally to do with the first part I do seriously wonder about the prevalence of no recoil/no CoF hacks.
    • Up x 2
  7. Pikachu

We need to make this a barrel attachment, that can be put on and off.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. hostilechild

One annoyance with high pingers is the instant death when they actually shot for over a second. At times it will even sound like all headshots. (seems the ding, is related to damage not damage per shot) As i have heard all dings, check page and shows no headshot death.

But i too sometimes wonder about the no recoil/no cof. INside 40m i give you the all headshots, i pull it off on occcasion. But in the 40-70 when it happens with guns i have used, I think wtf. (play vs lately and NC guns i aurax quad headshot me at 70m wtf)

Sometimes i can tell its lag, as there are dozen of shots on wall, ground around me. Other times i can literally see the dead straight beam with 0cof hitting me(again this could be all update at once, but would expect to see multiple misses that i do on other instant deaths).
  9. entity009

Well thanks for the replies guys. Its good to know its not just me.

I had never considered that the other players ping might be a major factor. Now that i think of it though with client side hit detection a high ping would prob produce those "plink, you dead" situations. All this time I've been trying to improve my net conductivity to help with this when I should have been routing my signal to Hong Kong and back and replacing my netgear router with a DLink.

The curved barrel extension is a good idea but it needs to waggle around while your shooting it be to like the guns in ps2. I guess gun technology in the future took a major step back. I never understood why they went with such stupid low velocity and hideous bullet drop. Seriously, shooting someone @100m with some guns has the trajectory and speed of a lobbed softball.
  10. JohnGalt36

Yeah, they should really choose between CoF and recoil. Unless maybe your barrel heats up, but that's a whole new mechanic. I know my AR doesn't play nice over 100 yards after a mag or two in quick succession.
    • Up x 1