Help me understand whats so bad about the "zerg"...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MasterCheef, Mar 31, 2014.

1. MasterCheef

I keep hearing the term "zerg" used as if its a bad thing in this game. To this day i dont get it. The game is about large battles, zergs provide large battles.

performance issues maybe? Other than that, i would think Zergs were a good thing. i rarely see more than 2 platoons rolling together anyway.
    • Up x 8
  2. indianahoops

What I don't understand is that there is 1 continent with absolutely nobody on it (Esamir) and one continent with one big fight (Amerish) and people are still ******** about the zerg...

You want small battles? GET OFF INDAR FOR CHRIST SAKE....
    • Up x 5
  3. Reaver027

1. Most of the time the Zerd is not organized. Its a mass of people that got a common goal but they do not really work together to achieve it.
    2. If you are defending an area against an overwhelming Zerg it is not a lot of fun.

Those are the two reasons why Zergs are not liked that much. But yes you are corret Zergs are not bad. They even would be awesome if the Zerg would be fully organized.
  4. Tuco

proper use of the term zerg: used in context of imbalanced fights "50 player zerg capping empty bases" or "We were having a nice 20 vs 20 fight until 100 zerg showed up."

improper use of the term zerg: when one zerg meets another in a large but still somewhat balanced fight.

Historical context: A game called starcraft, and a strategy called zerging. You use a bunch of throwaway units and just dogpile onto the enemy to overwealm their defenses with sheer numbers.
    • Up x 9
  5. siiix

the people who complain about them :)
    • Up x 1
  6. Airazor

Zergs are a good thing...if the numbers are equal.

Also Zergs for me mean 3 things:
    1)Lot's of enemies to kill so that's good
    2)Performance takes a dive to 10fps, that's a bad thing. I get killed way more for bad reaction time.
    3)If we are outnumbered 60%them and 40% us, it's not worth my time dieing every 15 seconds.

So Zerg equals out to me haha I literally just posted a chart on how the Waterson NC have pop advantage hardcore these days, so us Vanu are going to have a bad time zerging.
    • Up x 4
  7. dBMachine

They aren't always bad.

It just when the bases can't handle the numbers forcing people to funnel through choke points....
  8. Tommyp2006

I love large fights, but them lemmings are what annoys me the most about zergs.
    • Up x 1
  9. Robes

Fighting against a zerg you have no chance of beating isn't fun, fighting in a zerg that has no chance of losing isn't fun (to most people, some just like winning, making up for something else or something like that), and people play video games to have fun.
  10. Hosp

People, generally, dislike the zerg due to its unpredictable ineffectiveness. It can be steamrolling along when all of a sudden it hits a numerically inferior, but tactically superior force and just get schlepped. On the flip side, there could be some tactically superior forces running w/ the zerg as well. Often times "holding their hand". And it's completely possible for that unit to work inside the zerg and accomplish necessary objectives with little zerg involvement. ie. the zerg is an effective bullet shield.

But then it comes down to a couple things. FIrst, your average zergling is out for themselves. Because of that, they will not be as aggressive as needed, their awareness is poor, and they often get farmed. Their ineffectiveness in those regards often leave a more hardened, smaller, unit lacking in support.

Second, they will not think before firing. They will TK and TK a lot. Some, sure it's a $4it happens situation. But in many others, as with #1, they're out for themselves and just want the kill.
  11. -Synapse-

A zerg in Planetside 2 is a massive hiveminded push usually consisting of one-four actual squads at the core, and a snowball effect of general grunts they pick up along the way. In essence this should be a great thing, so long as they're not using all that manpower to cap bases with 1-12 enemies.

When two equally sized zergs start slugging it out the game becomes what it was meant to be; a huge battle over massive amounts of territory (and a molten PC).
    • Up x 5
  12. NoctD

Zerg, by their Starcraft origins, is when you swarm your enemy with superior numbers of inferior units... in PS2 terms, the zerg is the large swarm of very average players that use numbers to win a fight.

Also one cannot comment about zergs without bringing up the lattice... the lattice promotes more zergs, since it tends to cluster people into lanes.

One can try to oppose a zerg without adequate numbers, skill or strategy, then you'll get farmed by the zerg. Or one can be smart, plan ahead, and farm ie. kill the zerglings and slow down or make them pay a price for their advance.

People that hate the zerg think they can be rambo - and get killed in the process time and over again. Then they blame the zerg, for their own failure to organize or the folly of their silliness in believing that one should rush out of the spawn room time and again without using any tactics.

The zerg is not to be feared, they are to be farmed! If you want to defeat the zerg, then join an outfit that does the right things... think of Recursion, they drop in a whole bunch of elite troops onto the enemy zerg, smash the zerg, and move on to do this somewhere else on the map. Its not very hard at all, if you're organized, have good players by your side, and aren't just trying to solo an enemy zerg.

TL;DR - People hate the zerg because they themselves are just as unorganized, so they constantly die to zergs!
    • Up x 1
  13. St0mpy

A zerg is a boring and frustrating existence and has few positive terms associated with it. Youre either facing one with it about to roll over you or youre in it fighting you own team to get the kill on the few who dare to show their face. Its a term of observation rather than a title of a desirable group and in itself is an odd phenomenon, part of the 'safety in numbers even tho the pickings are thin' groupthink we live our lives by.
  14. doombro

They're complete wastes of resources led by idiots who have no idea what they're doing. 80% of the time they're off ghost capping some random base off in the middle of nowhere while the NC & VS are in the process of warpgating us, completely uncontested.

"zergs provide large battles" my ***. They give themselves no certs, and leave the defenders unwilling to participate.
  15. Inex

I think the word you're looking for there is 'outfit'. When I respawn and walk out into a fight that has completely changed because the pop went from 50/50 to 70/30, it's never due to a zerg crawling its way across the map. Every time it's because some outfit (and/or popular Twitch streamer) has decided our base is the next fight on their stomping spree.

To be fair, it's not impossible for a zerg to do that - just staggeringly unlikely.
  16. Cirevam

A zerg is a large group of pubbies who only follow the mission waypoint marker because they don't know how to join an outfit.
  17. Cromell

When I was a new player, zergs had a certain appeal to them. I spawned my tank and followed a tank column and I felt like a part of something awesome, squashing any resistance along the way. Even if I didn't fire a single round.

And it was fine, really. Zergs allowed me to see the possible scale of the game, especially when two of such clashed. Now that I'm a rather experienced player I know how to avoid them and how to use them for my own profit when possible, so they very rarely interrupt my gametime.

Then again, it would be nice if the game allowed for a better way to spread the population evenly across the map.
  18. Pootisman

Zergs rarely provide large battles. Usually its a 50+ zerg steamrolling low populated areas of the map. Going with the zerg is boring because you have only few enemies to shoot and fighting the zerg is frustrating because you get spawncamped by 50+ people.

Zergs are only good when they meet another, equal sized zerg, but that doesnt happen very often.
    • Up x 3
  19. Tuco

"zergfit"

Cute, an outfit elitist.

next time start surfing platoons, you'll see most of those those blue tags aren't really lonewolfs but players in other platoons; I **** you not.
    • Up x 1
  20. Inex

I considered that for a moment, but I'm not sure I want to set the 'zergfit' bar high enough to include FCRW.